PDA

View Full Version : Help this newbie please

tutor
07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
When setting the size of the board, do you put what the store says it is (ex 1"x4"x6') or do you put the actual size (ex 3/4"x 3 & 3/4 " x 6').

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Walter:)

Kenm810
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Always use the actual size of the board 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 72" :cool:

GrammaPam
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=tutor;97818]When setting the size of the board

Also make sure the board is 7 inches longer than the board length you enter as your board size in designer. When prompted on the machine select yes to "stay under rollers"
Happy carving
G.P.

liquidguitars
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Also make sure the board is 7 inches longer than the board length you enter as your board size in designer. When prompted on the machine select yes to "stay under rollers"
Happy carving

err no. ***

Always use the actual size of the board 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 72"

Yes *** better.

lets say i cutting a box thats 7" x 7" in Designer i need a extra 7" for the boards overall length to automatically keep under the wood under the rollers so make your project 14" long.

LG

cnsranch
07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
err no. ***

Yes *** better.

lets say i cutting a box thats 7" x 7" in Designer i need a extra 7" for the boards overall length to automatically keep under the wood under the rollers so make your project 14" long.

LG

Uhh...

I think I know what you said, but I didn't understand what you wrote, LG:rolleyes:

tutor

Everyone's right - just remember this -

If your real (project) board is the same size as the one you have in Designer, AND your carving/design is within 3.5" of either end of the board, your board will not stay under the roller on that end. There is the possibility that the board could tip due to being under one roller, and not another. It's not gonna tip a significant amount, but it could really screw up your carve.

LG, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you usually use carrier boards with the extra length built into them, and that the board in Designer is the same length, and that your carves aren't closer than 4" from either end, AND that you tell the machine NOT to stay under the rollers, knowing that it will anyway (whew).

Bottom line, tutor, if you're within 3.5" of the end, you could have problems. Might not, but you could.

If your project board is 10" long, and your Designer board is 10" long, and your designed carve is 3" long, and centered in the middle of the board, you don't have to worry, because the board will stay under the rollers at all times.

BUT, when the machine measures your board, it assumes that there's an additional 7" - and if there's not, it will ask you to scale the project to fit the board (that's bad) UNLESS you tell it NOT to stay under the rollers.

Sorry, this isn't at all what you originally asked, but this is one of the first mistakes/misunderstandings "newbies" make (I was one of them). If everyone comes to grips with the 3.5" rule, it makes life much easier in the beginning.

liquidguitars
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I think I know what you said, but I didn't understand what you wrote, LG

your not the first not understanding my lame typing.. :)

Always use the actual size of the board 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 72"

like Ken said.

LG

wasacop75
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I happen to have had a carving tip due to not staying under the rollers. Costly mistake never to be made again no matter what the loml says.
Now i either add the extra 3.5 inches on either end of the same piece or use a sled ;)