PDA

View Full Version : Question... Centering project on Board

chebytrk
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I've done a few projects and guess I've never learned about "centering" or starting a project on "end". I've always chosen to center project on board. If I were to choose place on end ... exactly where does the carving start? How far from the edge of the board? Also if I were to choose where to start (by jogging to location)...... when I do that... what part of the project starts at that location? I'm just trying to be more conscious of the boards that I've got laying around. Hope I made my questions clear enough.

Dan-Woodman
07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Your carving always starts on the left side of the board (as you look at it in designer).
When you place on end, IT stills starts on the left side , but I believe it leaves 2-3 inches from edge. Jog to wherever you want and then it will carve left to right as in designer.
later Daniel

liquidguitars
07-27-2009, 10:47 PM
How far from the edge of the board?

thats up to you :) , the simplest way is to add two 3.5" boxes in Designer at each end of the project board showing the starting point. then place your design between the boxes and centered if you like.

For sleds the minimum you should setback is 4"

LG

geekviking
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
and stop me if I'm wrong, but I think his question (as well as mine) is:
When you are at the CW and you tell it "place on end" do you jog to the corner that is on the keypad side, or the other? And if I am standing on the keypad side, do I jog to the left side or right of my board? Also, will it start the project exactly from the position I jogged to (and touched down on), or does it add any space? I mostly use a sled with my work, and sometimes would really like to tell it to start on "X" corner and carve from there (as opposed to "center on board") but am afraid it will destroy my piece as I have no idea where it will start the carve...

www.go3d.us
07-27-2009, 11:31 PM
When you are at the CW machine and you tell it "place on end" it will carve your project on the end (remain part) of the board. For example: your project is 5" long and your board is 10" long and you select place on end it will skip the first 5" and carve your project on the last 5". Your project will finished at the end of the board.
You are not able to jog to anywhere with this option. It will measure the board and place the project where it supposed to be.

The jog to position however allow you to jog to a carve-able area and it give you 2 options: jog to edge or center. Jog to edge will start carving at the position you jogged to. Jog to center mean wherever you jog to it will be the center of your project.
Both options will carve from left to right and as seen in designer and also from the keypad side to the bit plate side no extra space will be added.

Hope this help.
HT

I hope I am provided the correct information.

Dan-Woodman
07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
It also depends on if you lock all your measurements in designer. If they are all locked in (with yellow letters) you may not have the option of moving it.
later Daniel

HighTechOkie
07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
It also depends on if you lock all your measurements in designer. If they are all locked in (with yellow letters) you may not have the option of moving it.
later Daniel

Constraints in the project have no effect on how "place on end" or "jog to position" function at the machine.

Rob

geekviking
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
if I have this right, when we choose "jog to edge",if we are standing on the keypad side, we should jog and touch down on the left hand corner, on the bottom side of the board, closest to (me) the keypad side?

HighTechOkie
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Jog to Edge is for telling the machine where to start the project file with respect to the top left corner of the project as seen in Designer.

Jog to Center is for telling the machine where to start the project file with respect to the left centerline/(construction line, just for you Michael :razz:)of the project as seen in Designer.

Rob

mtylerfl
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Rob,

What is a 'left' centerline?;)

geekviking
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I still don't know exactly where to touch down on the board with the bit to start a pattern in jog to edge mode...

HighTechOkie
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Hopefully this will clear up project placement.

chebytrk
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Hopefully this will clear up project placement.

Now that...... IS COOL! "Splains it all" :)

Now when jogging to alocation (with arrows) and since I've never done that. After touching the board (with the bit) where you want it, do you just hit enter?

HighTechOkie
07-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Correct, and continue on with machine prompts.

On a project I recently did using v1.15, I had to hit Enter about three times before it continued past the "Jog to" prompt.

Rob

Icutone2
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Also, Thanks for the pic. Printed it and taped it to the wall for reference.
Lee

DocWheeler
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Good graphic Rob!

liquidguitars
07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Also you could just make your project the same size as the wood like Kenm, Al and myself do and save some confusion.

LG

PCW
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Rob,

Good answer to the question. Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words. Good Job

geekviking
07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
LG, that's what I was asking for, I usually use the same size board as my project, but on a sled & would like to know where to touch the board, so I can stop having to center my board (width-wise) on the sled...
Thanks for the pic, HTO!