PDA

View Full Version : The sound of heavy vibration

drwatkins
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM
This weekend I have been carving some moulding and for time sake I changed the setting from "best" to "normal" the machine sounds like it is vibrating alot more than normal on some of the passes. It doesn't feel like it is vibrating much more than normal. Carving looks good; especially since it is in pine, no heavy lines and average fuzz. Everything on the truck is tight and secure. Is this normal for the "Normal" setting?

Dan

liquidguitars
07-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I would give the flex shaft some oil..

LG

AskBud
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
This weekend I have been carving some moulding and for time sake I changed the setting from "best" to "normal" the machine sounds like it is vibrating alot more than normal on some of the passes. It doesn't feel like it is vibrating much more than normal. Carving looks good; especially since it is in pine, no heavy lines and average fuzz. Everything on the truck is tight and secure. Is this normal for the "Normal" setting?

Dan

Not all pine is equal.
White or Yellow pine? Bit in question? Depth of cut (deep cuts, on one pass will chatter more than multiple passed at a smaller depth)? Direction of cut, when chatter happens? An attached MPC may help with solution. I think you will find that "Normal" carves faster than "Best", ergo, more pressure on the truck & bit.
AskBud

drwatkins
07-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for taking a look into this for me. Attached is the project. it is the crown moulding that I showed you the other day Bud. Attached is a sample of the project but I could not upload the actual one I am running because it is too big. It is this project repeating itself. The wood is select white pine, the bit is a new 1/16" carving bit (has carved this project 4 times now). The heaviest vibs are on the return cut back toward the control edge (I suspect the speed of return trip and may be contributing). The depth is .125". I bougth a can of liquid wrench with moly this past week, thanks for reminding me LG; I haven't lubed it yet but will today.

Dan

AskBud
07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Dan,
I tested, some of, your design on a piece of maple. The depth of (.125) has the tendency to sound funny at the top(s) of the trees and antlers (It was not as noticeable at a depth of (.080)). I noticed that as it carves the body of the Elk it sounds normal/better (I had to delete the Bear as I did not have permission).

I attribute this noise to the high amount of narrow top area that the Unit/design was going in to. If you hear more normal sounds on the animals body, I would think everything is OK. I presume that you can tell the difference from sound coming from the head & cutter rather than from the Flex Shaft.

Making sure you have a good lube on the Flex is always a good practice.
AskBud

drwatkins
07-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you for checking this out for me. I'm new to the compucarve and cnc carving and wanted some reassurance as my initial start up with this rebuilt machine was not a lot of fun. Seem to have all the probs fixed now and am tickled to death with the results.

Thanks again and I haven't read them all yet but I downloaded all your tips from your page and am learning a great deal.

Dan

drwatkins
07-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't think I'll ever get 30 hours on this machine. The vibrations are getting worse. It still carves but the quality is diminished and I checked the QC and there appears to be excessive side to side play at the shaft. My guess is a bearing bad. I contacted LHR to find out if the bearings are adjustable or fixed in the race. So...I guess I'll be tearing this thing down again.

Words to the wise; DO NOT EVER BY A REMANUIFACTURED MACHINE! You cannot convince me that this machine was remanufactured. Not sure it was even checked since it did not work fresh out of the box.

Dan:(

PCW
07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Dan,

Can you isolated the play to the chuck or spindle? If you move the bit while in the chuck left to right and back to front you should be able to see the play.

The spinal bearings are not adjustable.

http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_z-truck.pdf

drwatkins
07-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Problem isolated.... bearing just dropped out the bottom

PCW
07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Is it the bearing or the shim. Does it look like a ring that is corrugated or is it a roller bearing?

Digitalwoodshop
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Like said above, You may have lost that bearing damper and that is why the problems....

Grab the tip of the bit and pull in 4 directions.... Carefully... Any movement? Movement BAD.....

The Refurbished Z Trucks are known to spit this damper out.... Then you are stuck as the Refurbished Trucks are not covered by any warranty... This one spit out after about 10 minutes....

I was shoving it back up and it would come back down.... Replaced the truck.... Next time.... a touch of JB Weld to hold it....:mrgreen:

AL

drwatkins
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
It is the shim that actually fell out onto the top of the chuck; I think. It is a somewhat flexible ring, not appear to be a roller or ball bearing.

Dan

PCW
07-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Like Al said it is time for a Z Truck make sure you order screws for the 4 Z Bearings. They are soft and half the time you have to drill them out. Good Luck.

LHR
1-800-573-1226
press 1 for accessories
press 2 for sales
press 3 for software / activation code
press 4 for repairs
press 5 for other help

drwatkins
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
This better be warranted, Total cut time on this machine is 37 hours and it had 20 on it when I got it. The machine would not start when I first got it, had to change the cover switch. Then 3/4 way intothe first project the Z axis crashed because the belt clamp was loose. Broke one of those little screws getting in to fix that. They sent me new rollers and screws on warranty then. Got all that back together and got one small plaque carved, then on the next carving, the outline lettering screwed up and ruined that project, had to finish it by hand. (that was a software issue in 1.15. Now, I'm trying to run some crown moulding for my remodel job and I'm not going to be able to finish it. I guess 1 project complete out of 8 started isn't so bad is it? Now I'll be down for another two weeks waiting on parts.

PCW
07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I would say if they covered it the first round they will cover it now as long as it is not out of warranty due to term.

LHR does seem to go out of there way to makes things right. I have a love/hate relationship with them. :D

drwatkins
07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I love the machines capabilities, just wish mine would live up to those capabilities. Looks like I'll have to buy another machine or two so I can keep one running. But alas, my bank roll is thin so that won't be happening this week. I've been wanting one of these for a long time and thought best way to afford it was to get a "factory rebuilt" compucarve from sears. That's where I made my mistake, I don't think sears ever sent this to be rebuilt too many problems for it to have been gone through completely by the factory.

Dan

PCW
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Dan,

Does Sears offer the 5 years extended warranty on the rebuilt machines? May want check into that it would be a good $300.00 investment.

If it not to old take the thing back to Sear for a refund.

drwatkins
07-28-2009, 10:20 PM
It should not be too old, I ordered it the last week of May and received it the first week of June. It has been down most of that time. Taking it back may be my best option.

Dan

PCW
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree with you 100%. If you get another CW machine at Sear buy the 5 extended warranty. Once you own the machine for a while things gets better with time.

You may want to buy a Rock Chuck down the road. They are a higher quality chuck. Simple to use and cut down on the vibration and noise levels. Any way getting bedtime. Good Luck and keep us posted.