PDA

View Full Version : I NEED CONTROL of Centerline depth.

Wood Butcher
07-26-2009, 07:16 AM
The best workaround I found after searching the forum was posted by “cnsranch”
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11908&highlight=centerline+depth
I think I will use my carving bit as a datum for the board touch and adjust the depth of the V bit plus or minus X to the desired depth.
I figured out if I wanted to raise the depth of the centerline text on the board surface, without juggling bits, I can lay a piece of shim stock under the bit for the board touch calibration. The thickness of the shim will be the vertical offset.
I have a few scraps of different gauge sheet metal laying around.
If I can develop a formula of shim thickness to vertical offset I will post it.

Steven Alford
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
What if centerline will not carve deep enough? How do you fool it into carving deeper?

Steven Alford
07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Heh!! tricked you CarveWright!!

It is a good thing that I have the Rock Chuck (thanks Ron!!) All I did was once the carve started I opened the cover and loosened the chuck and lowered the bit as minute an amount as I could (I am doing extremely small letters) and it is now carving perfect. I don't think you could do that with the QC.

Dan-Woodman
07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Steven
Way to go , you have proven theres another advantage to the rock. These computer controled devices think there smarter than we are don't they?
later Daniel

racer
07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
You can buy a pack of plastic shim stock at Production Tool it is 4X12" and goes from .002 to .032 i use it all the time for lots thimgs i like it because you can cut it with almost any thing.

Wood Butcher
07-27-2009, 12:47 PM
What if centerline will not carve deep enough? How do you fool it into carving deeper?

You might want to chuck up the 3/8" Straight – Jointing bit and recalibrate the machine.
I also had a problem before with the swing-out bit touch point at the wrong level.
I had to tweak it a bit to make the correct measurement. The older versions of the SW would slam the bit down to the swing-out. After a few times the arm would be bent out of position.
I’m would use the sensor test mode and see what the reading is.
It might be easer to adjust Centerline depth that way.
I’ll let you know.