PDA

View Full Version : Starting project near the edge of the board

campy76
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a board that is 3" wide by 30" long. I am plan on putting some centerline text as well as using the drill functions to cut holes int he wood for some coins. As the project is laid out on the screen is how I want it, but when I put it in the machine, it shrinks it down to something I dont want. How can I overcome that?

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
If you could post your mpc, we could look to see if there are any problems. But it sounds like the machine is measuring the board a size smaller than you have entered in the Designer, thus it wants to scale your project down to fit on the smaller board.

AskBud
07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a board that is 3" wide by 30" long. I am plan on putting some centerline text as well as using the drill functions to cut holes int he wood for some coins. As the project is laid out on the screen is how I want it, but when I put it in the machine, it shrinks it down to something I dont want. How can I overcome that?

Attach the MPC, so we may see it, and tell us the "exact" size of your actual board. Also tell us how you answered any prompts from the carver (Stay under rollers, size to fit, etc).
AskBud

mtylerfl
07-25-2009, 09:51 PM

For more information on avoiding this common "pilot error", please read the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 18 March 2009 "Scaling and How To Avoid It" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

campy76
07-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Thank you to all who replied, bring that I just got my machine a few days ago, I was trying to put the cart before the horse! I was just too darned excited about using the machine! Thanks again.
Jon

mtylerfl
07-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Thank you to all who replied, bring that I just got my machine a few days ago, I was trying to put the cart before the horse! I was just too darned excited about using the machine! Thanks again.
Jon

It is an exciting machine and you'll have great fun with it! Welcome to the CW Community!

fbridgeford
08-05-2009, 05:26 PM
a trick I use so there's no scaling & makes sure the board moves the entire length in the machine (in case it's not square)...
Load the board, then hit measure - Length.
Measure the width while you're at it; write down those numbers & shove them into the software...
no scaling now since the numbers ARE what it sees

Happy Carving!!!
Post pics! I'm sure everyone would love to see what you're up to!

Steven Alford
08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
DUH!!!
Why did I never think of that before!!
Thanks for the good tip.

Woodhacker
08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Something new every day!!! I just love this forum.

Richard

bergerud
08-06-2009, 12:49 AM
But then it remeasures the board to be a different size!! I always make the designer board a little smaller. I gave up trying to get it right.
Try to measure a board a few times and check out the variation.

kenerv1
08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
But then it remeasures the board to be a different size!! I always make the designer board a little smaller. I gave up trying to get it right.
Try to measure a board a few times and check out the variation.

I agree, I have never had a board measure the same twice. Nor has it recognized a board that I have measured as being the size I last measured.

Is this common experience, or do I have a problem with my boards, or my machine?

fbridgeford
08-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I actually have pretty good luck with the numbers this way. Maybe I'M just the fluke here ;)
In either case, the most I've ever seen it off is only about .1 which has never resulted in a scaling of the project. Most of the time it's either right on, or off by .01 or .02 for me. Definitely not enough to mess up a project for me.
I'm assuming that +/- a bit is expected so no flaming hoops to jump through on this one from CW.

One thing that I am absolutely fanatical about is making certain those sensors are clear of dust & dirt. A little compressed air (LOW PSI) and an old, clean T-shirt do wonders.

I guess another method would be to take the average of 3 measures ?

kenerv1
08-06-2009, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=fbridgeford;99007]I actually have pretty good luck with the numbers this way. Maybe I'M just the fluke here ;)
QUOTE]

I didn't mean to sound like the discrepancies were large, just enough to keep getting messages, but not really enough to affect the project.

KN