PDA

View Full Version : The Nasty "Clear Board Sensor" error!

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I did a search and read most of the post concerning the board sensor so I think I have a pretty clear idea of what I need to check.

My question is, how do I get to the board sensor to remove it and check to see if it is full of dust?? In all the post I looked at, everyone tells you to do it but no one says how.

I have never taken any part of the machine apart yet, so this will be a first.

mtylerfl
07-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Search again - I believe AL has posted photos and advice for removing the Board Sensor (he shorted some wires by pulling too hard and helps teach others to avoid that in his pictures)

It's a tight squeeze, but raise the z-truck, use a mirror and a light to make viewing easier and unscrew the two Phillips screws to release the sensor from under the truck.

fwharris
07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I did a search and read most of the post concerning the board sensor so I think I have a pretty clear idea of what I need to check.

My question is, how do I get to the board sensor to remove it and check to see if it is full of dust?? In all the post I looked at, everyone tells you to do it but no one says how.

I have never taken any part of the machine apart yet, so this will be a first.

Steven,

Here is a link to the PDF for replacing and cleaning the sensor.
http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_board_sensor.pdf

I got it from the CarveWright Customer documentation page.

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Floyd.
What is the best way to get at these philipps screws out?? I don't have a screwdriver that short. Looks like maybe an offset screwdriver will work. Looks like I get to go to the hardware store again. Crips!! I almost live there!!

fwharris
07-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks Floyd.
What is the best way to get at these philipps screws out?? I don't have a screwdriver that short. Looks like maybe an offset screwdriver will work. Looks like I get to go to the hardware store again. Crips!! I almost live there!!

Steven,

The offset will work. I do have a shorty screw drive. I have also used the phillips bits for screw drivers/drills in a 1/4" socket to get at some of those tight spots.

Note that this is a small head screw so make sure you get one that will fit with out stripping the head even though it will probably strip out anyway. Dang soft metal....

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 04:28 PM
I racked my brain and knew that I had this miniature ratchet set that the Hilti man gave me years ago and I finally remembered where it was. I knew the day would come when I would need that thing!!

It has all sorts of attachments for it including two phillips; one small one large. It worked perfect.

Once I got the sensor out I could see that the inside of the lens was covered with dust. So I took a can of compressed air and with one shot it was gone.

Now to get the bogger back in the machine!! I'll let you know if that takes care of the problem. Sure hope I don't have to do anything else.

dcalvin4
07-25-2009, 05:03 PM
MASKING TAPE IS YOUR FRIEND..1.put tape across the underside bottom of the board the brass gear side,, this helps with traction ,the gear is a measureing roller device...
2 put tape lengthwise on top side of board ,one strip closest to you and the other on the outside top,,this helps the sensor " find" the width and the 3rd thing to do is put tape across the ends on top to help the senser "find the length" worked for me////nooo more clear sensor

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Well that is good advise but as it turns out my sensor had dust inside it and once I got the dust out, it now works perfect.

But, oh my God was that last screw a bit%& to get in!!

This whole thing has me thinking. Once I got the sensor out and in my hands I could see the tiny area that gets dust inside. Even though it looks to be sealed, it is not. Simply shooting it with compressed air from a can dislodged the dust without removing the plastic lens. If any of you have ever used a can of compressed air (used for computer keyboards and such) they have a small straw attached to the can, much like the one on a can of WD40. It would be an easy thing to take this can and while the sensor is still attached to the machine, with the help of the mirror, simply turn the can at a angle so that you can reach the sensor with the tip of the straw and shoot the dust away.

Hopefully it will be a long time before I have to test this idea!! Maybe someone else can test it for us.

Ken Massingale
07-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Well that is good advise but as it turns out my sensor had dust inside it and once I got the dust out, it now works perfect.

But, oh my God was that last screw a bit%& to get in!!

This whole thing has me thinking. Once I got the sensor out and in my hands I could see the tiny area that gets dust inside. Even though it looks to be sealed, it is not. Simply shooting it with compressed air from a can dislodged the dust without removing the plastic lens. If any of you have ever used a can of compressed air (used for computer keyboards and such) they have a small straw attached to the can, much like the one on a can of WD40. It would be an easy thing to take this can and while the sensor is still attached to the machine, with the help of the mirror, simply turn the can at a angle so that you can reach the sensor with the tip of the straw and shoot the dust away.

Hopefully it will be a long time before I have to test this idea!! Maybe someone else can test it for us.
I just took the stupid lens off. After about a year with naked LED's I haven't had any more sensor problems.

mtylerfl
07-26-2009, 07:18 AM
I have two machines - on one, I replaced the board sensor after about 6 months. While waiting for the part, I removed the plastic lens cover and it worked fine. When I got the part, I swapped the old for the new. I keep the old one as a spare becasue it was still working before I put the new one in.

The other machine still has the original board sensor and has never given me a problem after over 2 years of use. I understand that the board sensors are now sealed with clear silicon caulk to prevent dust from getting inside the lens cover. You could also do that yourself next time you take it out for cleaning.

deemon328
07-26-2009, 07:50 AM
FWIW, I've had the same problems. The least frustrating thing to do is order one of the new sealed board sensors so that you can avoid taking the existing one apart time and time again.

traumfanger
07-26-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm in the process of replacing the board due to melting and deforming it's plastic case while heating the spindle to get the QC off for replacement. (a teaching moment: protect the belts and board sensor while overheating the qc and spindle in your frustration to break the loctight bind)

In any case, my question: should I use loctighte on the board sensor screws? If not, what keeps them from falling out due to vibration?

thanks much

mtylerfl
07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm in the process of replacing the board due to melting and deforming it's plastic case while heating the spindle to get the QC off for replacement. (a teaching moment: protect the belts and board sensor while overheating the qc and spindle in your frustration to break the loctight bind)

In any case, my question: should I use loctighte on the board sensor screws? If not, what keeps them from falling out due to vibration?

thanks much

I don't think that's necessary - at least I have never had any of those screws come out or loosen up, nor have I heard of anyone else having that problem.

Steven Alford
07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I sure as heck would not put locktite on them. There hard enough to get out!!