PDA

View Full Version : Shipping charges

cnc4me
07-25-2009, 07:53 AM
For those of you that sell your work, how do you go about charging for shipping?

Thanks

mtylerfl
07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
For those of you that sell your work, how do you go about charging for shipping?

Thanks

Hello,

My CarveBuddy business doesn't normally have to deal with any shipping charges because the items we sell are files that folks simply download to their computer after the online transaction is completed by the customer. It is a totally automatic system, and it is very convenient for both the customer and for us.

If you are making physical items for sale, you'll decide whether you want to ship via US Postal Service, UPS, FedEx or DHL, or a combination of shippers.

When I do ship physical items, I like to use UPS because they have been very reliable for us for well over 20 years. We have a Shipper account for both UPS and FedEx. We used to have UPS daily pick-up, but we ship so little in physical products nowadays that we simply drop off any packages at the local UPS Store when necessary.

You can calculate shipping costs by visiting the shippers' websites and enter the destination address, package size, weight and method of shipping (express, ground, parcel post etc.)

You can do it that way for each individual customer, or you can figure out a basic overall "average" shipping and handling cost and charge a flat rate for a particular size/weight item you are selling. The "flat rate" is good if you are selling items online in most cases, and evens out over time if a shipment costs more or less than your flat rate when shipping to various locations. For example, a flat rate of about $12 usually will cover all your costs for packages that weigh under 2 pounds shipped via UPS within the continental US.

Overall, you just about break even on shipping. Be sure to add in the cost of your box, label, and packing materials and the cost of the time it takes for someone to pack up an item and prepare it for shipping. This is the handling charge (i.e., shipping and handling).

If you are really going to get "sophisticated" there are shipping calculators available that can be incorporated into your website shopping cart system. Some shopping carts have that feature already built in. You may want to do some research online.

You may also want to check into the US Postal Service Flat-Rate boxes - if it fits in the box, the shipping charge is the same, no matter what the weight and destination within the US. Also, your postman will pick up your packages from your doorstep if you make prior arrangements.

USPS still lacks a reliable Tracking method. Even though you can opt for "tracking" I have never yet been successful trying to track a package via their website (another reason I like UPS or FedEx a little better than USPS).

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 05:52 PM
USPS still lacks a reliable Tracking method. Even though you can opt for "tracking" I have never yet been successful trying to track a package via their website (another reason I like UPS or FedEx a little better than USPS).

And the government wants to get their sticky fingers in the medical insurance business??? Can you imagine trying to track your medical records??

TerryT
07-25-2009, 06:28 PM
From our Blue Iris Water Gardens website, we ship all kinds of things all over the country. Just check the fed Ex or UPS sites to get a cost. We do not add anything to the shipping but charge the same amount given by UPS or Fed Ex.

HighTechOkie
07-25-2009, 06:34 PM

And the government wants to get their sticky fingers in the medical insurance business??? Can you imagine trying to track your medical records??

FYI USPS has been privately ran for several years now. There system may not be real time, but I have yet to have a problem tracking a Priority or Express package.

Rob

PCW
07-25-2009, 07:25 PM
cnc4me,

I have a daily pickup with UPS and schedule daily pickups via USPS.

Normally the way we decide on the carrier is if the package is under 3# or if it will fit in a flat rate priority box it goes Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. Also works well for PR AK HI. Two to three day service and it makes customers happy. The delivery confirmation typically will only show up on the tracking system once the package has been delivered.

If it meets any one of the criteria it goes UPS.

Business Address (commercial address cheaper than residential)
Over 3#
Fragile Item
High Dollar Items
Next Day
Customer requires tracking ability

Steven Alford
07-25-2009, 07:47 PM
FYI USPS has been privately ran for several years now. There system may not be real time, but I have yet to have a problem tracking a Priority or Express package.

Rob

Really!!
That's news to me, when did this take place??

mtylerfl
07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Really!!
That's news to me, when did this take place??

I think it's been over two decades now...;) It is a so-called civilian operation, controlled by the government, if that makes any sense. The "privatization reorganization" began in 1970 as far as I can tell from info on the web, so I guess it's nearly four decades ago!

Steven Alford
07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Controlled by the government, that explains it!!
Civilian owned, government controlled. That is my point, they can't do it!!