PDA

View Full Version : Help with the tech

JDPratt
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow, some of the products you guys are putting out are amazing. I am interested in the STL program, but I am already baffled by some of the posts with the Designer software. I am now completely lost with the conversations on meshing, programs for 3D, how to make a regular pattern, etc.. Will someone post a tips and tricks concerning these things so us layman can understand them. I have to admit that I was left behind when it came to the computer age. My kids know more about it than I do. I know there are numerous sites available to gather STL or regular CW patterns, but How does a guy (with little or no tech savvy) make STL patterns of items not already in the system. i.e. Lets say I want to make a bust of each one of my kids heads for posterity or I want to carve a 3D 105mm Howitzer miniture. HOW? What additional equipment do I have to buy? I apologize if some of this is already posted, but my head is spinning with all the high tech talk that a woodworker like me really doesn't understand. I am more of a "woodwright shop" type woodworker who learned with jack planes, hand saws, and spoke shaves.