PDA

View Full Version : Flea markets

newcarver
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Anyone out there go to flea markets alot? What seems to sell at those. Have my mother inlaw starting to go as a vendor at these for some stuff of hers, and she wants me to send some stuff of mine to try to sell. Just looking for some quick and easy signs to try to sell. Any input is appreciated. Ive thought of just simple text signs that say, believe, faith, stuff like that or welcome with a small carving....

rjustice
07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone out there go to flea markets alot? What seems to sell at those. Have my mother inlaw starting to go as a vendor at these for some stuff of hers, and she wants me to send some stuff of mine to try to sell. Just looking for some quick and easy signs to try to sell. Any input is appreciated. Ive thought of just simple text signs that say, believe, faith, stuff like that or welcome with a small carving....

I actually set up a stand with my sister at a small flea market 2 years ago, and did very well... The carving of the lords supper was a big hit, and i had one that had grapes on it that had the "live laugh love" words on it, and sold several of it as well... I made up business cards, to hand out, and had several people contact me for xmas presents. One thing i would do different, is those that take a card to have you make something custom for them, take the time to get thier name, email, and phone number... I truly believe that they have intention to purchase something, but loose your card, or forget about it by the time they are ready to order something for a xmas present... If you have their number, and call, or email with a reminder, chances are you would get a response. If you can email some pics of your recent work, you will get their attention again.
Have plenty of samples, and pictures of your work, and i think you would be surprised at the response... This was how i initially paid for my machine...

Good luck, and Happy Carving,

Ron

Kenm810
07-24-2009, 11:40 AM
A Couple of Years ago Barb took some of Her Sewing and Quilting projects to a Craft show,
and asked me to make some Red Cedar Signs on my machine, to put on her Display tables.
At the same time I carved a bunch of Signs or Plaques to hang on the wall behind her display.
She said many of them were bought by other venders and at the end of the day they were nearly all gone.

I had bought some 1/2" x 6" x 6' Red Cedar fence slats for a couple of bucks a piece,
and got 3 or 4 Plagues ot of each one. A little Centerline Text and a few 60 Degree V-Groove cuts,
Plus a shot of clear coat and she sold them for $5.00 and $10.00 each. :grin: