PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer bit

James RS
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Okay I know CW doesn't sell one, but could you use a 45 degree chamfer bit to cut a single path I have a project that has a 45 degree cut and rather that use the carving bit I wondered could I make a pattern then apply it to the one part?

Thanks,
Jim

AskBud
07-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Okay I know CW doesn't sell one, but could you use a 45 degree chamfer bit to cut a single path I have a project that has a 45 degree cut and rather that use the carving bit I wondered could I make a pattern then apply it to the one part?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
Could you post/attach your MPC so we can see your current chamfer process?
AskBud

James RS
07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Bud,
I don't have a chamfer process at the moment I just wanted use the bit that had a 45 degree angle to cut the one side of my pattern. I attached a file

AskBud
07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Bud,
I don't have a chamfer process at the moment I just wanted use the bit that had a 45 degree angle to cut the one side of my pattern. I attached a file

I see that you have a 60 degree cut down the center, which gives you a 30 degree edge on those sides.
Do a screen capture and then label that picture (I use Paint) as to where you wish the 45 degree edge/cut. You do understand that if it is on the very edge it will be half the cutter angle?

I hope you have increased the number of tabs on your cut-out(s).
AskBud

Woodhacker
07-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Bud, how do you tell that it is a 60 degree cut? I selected the center path and looked at it, but saw no way to tell what it was. Thanx!!

Richard

AskBud
07-22-2009, 08:29 PM
If you click on the line somewhere where the only thing to highlight, or click the "Line" on the carve list, the entire line is shown. Now click on the Bit Icon and it shows the 60 degree bit.

bjbethke
07-22-2009, 10:10 PM

Thanks,
Jim
A 45 degree chamfer bit is not a plunge cutting bit. The 90 degree CW bit will give you a 45 degree cut on your MPC. This bit cuts 45 degrees on each side. You will need to set the depth to .75 on a 3/4 inch board, make the cut in several passes.

jab73180
07-22-2009, 11:20 PM
i think it is easier to do something like that on the router table, if you have one of coarse!

AskBud
07-22-2009, 11:46 PM
i think it is easier to do something like that on the router table, if you have one of coarse!

Remember, we still do not know how & where he wants the 45.
AskBud

James RS
07-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Hello all,
Thanks for the replies, I just used the 60 degree bit because it was on the list.
I need to use 1/2" stock for this project and where I have the line setup for the 45 is
where I needed it,I figured I use for example the freud 45 chamfer bit which has a 45 degree angle and put it in a holder. A router table I do not have, I didn't know the angles of the 90

Pratyeka
07-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm confused. If you want the edge to be chamfered at 45 degree, you need to use a 90 degree bit, because half of 90 is 45. \|/
If you were to use a 45 degree bit, your chamfer would be 22.5 degree.
When referring to V bits, I think the industry always refer to the total angle, from cutting edge to cutting edge. The resulting angle on the work is measured from the vertical ( or perpendicular to the surface).

AskBud
07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I'll begin by stating that "Chamfer" bits are labeled with the angle they are designed to cut. Since they are not a "Plunge Router" they are not expected to cut on both sides at one time, and most may have a "Guide Bearing" at the bottom (see attachment).

The 90 degree "Plunge" V-bit, as you now know, has the 45 degree angle you wish. The question remains as to "How much of a 45 degree surface do you need/want?". The V-bit will not be able to plunge full depth and maintain the 45 angle all the way. If you wish a "full 45", you will need a larger bit (which is too large for the CW). If you just want a "Top Edge" with a 45, I think you should be able to get a depth of about (.350) with the 90 degree V-bit.

If this is a one time project, with a full 45 degree side angle (top to bottom), I would think it better suited to a Table Saw or Radial Arm Saw for the entire thing. I would, at least, use the saw for that full 45 chamfer.
AskBud

HighTechOkie
07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
First question is do you have a 90° V bit (V90)?

Looking over your project, I see several issues that may cause you problems.

1. Objects should be 3.5" from each end, and at the machine prompt: "Stay Under Rollers" answer NO.
OR
Place objects closer to the edge to save wood, but remember to use an actual board that is 7" longer, and at the machine prompt: "Stay Under Rollers" answer YES.
2. I would redraw you shapes in Designer. The cutpaths along the edges that need the 45 are wasted machine time. You could draw the outline of the entire project just omitting the line down the middle. Make sure to add in space to account for the vertical cut to separate each piece also.

Once you have a 90° V bit, you will need to make three passes. 1 pass 0.125" above center @ 0.375" depth, 2nd pass on the center line @ 0.50" depth, and 3rd pass 0.125" below center @ 0.375" depth. This will give you a full 45° edge on both the top and bottom objects.

Rob

Pratyeka
07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks Bud, your explanation makes more sense.

James RS
07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I'll begin by stating that "Chamfer" bits are labeled with the angle they are designed to cut. Since they are not a "Plunge Router" they are not expected to cut on both sides at one time, and most may have a "Guide Bearing" at the bottom (see attachment).

The 90 degree "Plunge" V-bit, as you now know, has the 45 degree angle you wish. The question remains as to "How much of a 45 degree surface do you need/want?". The V-bit will not be able to plunge full depth and maintain the 45 angle all the way. If you wish a "full 45", you will need a larger bit (which is too large for the CW). If you just want a "Top Edge" with a 45, I think you should be able to get a depth of about (.350) with the 90 degree V-bit.

If this is a one time project, with a full 45 degree side angle (top to bottom), I would think it better suited to a Table Saw or Radial Arm Saw for the entire thing. I would, at least, use the saw for that full 45 chamfer.
AskBud

Bud here's the one I looked at http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Freud_40-106_45_Degree_Chamfer_Router_Bit_-_14_Shank___i907.aspx

First question is do you have a 90° V bit (V90)?

Looking over your project, I see several issues that may cause you problems.

1. Objects should be 3.5" from each end, and at the machine prompt: "Stay Under Rollers" answer NO.
OR
Place objects closer to the edge to save wood, but remember to use an actual board that is 7" longer, and at the machine prompt: "Stay Under Rollers" answer YES.
2. I would redraw you shapes in Designer. The cutpaths along the edges that need the 45 are wasted machine time. You could draw the outline of the entire project just omitting the line down the middle. Make sure to add in space to account for the vertical cut to separate each piece also.

Once you have a 90° V bit, you will need to make three passes. 1 pass 0.125" above center @ 0.375" depth, 2nd pass on the center line @ 0.50" depth, and 3rd pass 0.125" below center @ 0.375" depth. This will give you a full 45° edge on both the top and bottom objects.

Rob

Rob I don't have a 90 degree bit, the only edge that needs the 45 is where the line is right down the center.

Thanks,
Jim

bjbethke
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Bud here's the one I looked at http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Freud_40-106_45_Degree_Chamfer_Router_Bit_-_14_Shank___i907.aspx

Rob I don't have a 90 degree bit, the only edge that needs the 45 is where the line is right down the center.

Thanks,
Jim
You can not that type of a bit in the CW unit. You can only use plunge bits.