PDA

View Full Version : z-axis stall 308 error

Amonaug
07-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Searched for 308 error but didn't find anything.

Carving was going fine then stopped to do some cleaning and restarted, z-truck went down to begin carving again then immediately got the 308 error.

Turned CW off and back on after more cleaning then started to measure board, got to the far edge then got the error again.

Z moves up and down easily, Y on this machine has always been a bit stiff.

Have a feeling my Z-motor just burnt out, no resistance at all with the power on, I guess I'll be calling LHR tomorrow. I had changed this one not long ago either. No more warranty either and I have an order to fill. Never fails

AskBud
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
See if this post helps.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=96645&postcount=2

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Bud,

That is the obvious cause but I saw something that peeked my interest....

What version of Designer is he using? Look at his Signature if that is correct.... Earlier Versions of Designer had a flaw... Stop the machine to clean it and restart it and it stalls......

Kevin, What version are you using? 1.15 or 1.150? Or do I have that wrong? The latest....

Skip that......

Edit:... Went back and read the post again... O'.... Could be a blown Z Motor or Controller....

I would start with the basics....

GO to options and look at the Z Encoder Data.... 0000 does it change with manual movement?

When you turn it on the head goes up and down then left and right slightly... Did it do that?

Did you vacuum with a plastic hose....? Is is a good quality plastic rubber hose with carbon to dissipate the static or a mainly plastic that builds up a static charge?

Sorry to hear about this.... Do you have any old motors you can plug in to see if the computer drivers work... Remember to turn power off before unplugging a servo..... Just plugging in a good motor you could see the homing movement and at least cut the troubleshooting in half....

Could even be a loose wire.... The plug for the Z or the big flat 14 pin cable?

Good Luck,

AL

Amonaug
07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Bud,

That is the obvious cause but I saw something that peeked my interest....

What version of Designer is he using? Look at his Signature if that is correct.... Earlier Versions of Designer had a flaw... Stop the machine to clean it and restart it and it stalls......

Kevin, What version are you using? 1.15 or 1.150? Or do I have that wrong? The latest....

AL

Fixed signature, it's 1.150

Thanks Bud but I do get a fairly smooth number change when checking the sensors. This time had a little resistance but when I went to select project it immediately showed the 308 error before it tried to home.

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
That's not good.....

This one could get expensive..... This is where having 2 machines comes in handy.... Swapping parts..... But you do risk blowing up the good unit.... But with a second unit you can get the projects out the door....

Any spare motors around?

Based on everything... I think it is possible it is a motor but more than likely a very expensive controller.....

If they have you buy another expensive Controller and don't want a core charge or want the controller back, I would love to investigate replacing the Servo Drivers. I would buy the Controller from you.....

I could do an "Anatomy of the Controller" with pictures. As long as LHR did not have the component numbers removed, I could possibly order the Solid State Drivers and Solder them in.... I have been looking for a reason to setup my Electronic Bench with soldering station, huntron tracker, and O'scope.

Let me know?

If anyone has a old Controller out there I would love to get it from you $$$?

Edit: Another Thought.... could be the board that the Z Plugs into or the board that the 14 pin cable plugs into also....

Pictures 1, 2, and 3. They could be bad, BUT they are mostly just pass through boards... The Resistors seen on the picture 2 and 3 are just what they call pull up resistors and would most likely survive a static blast being just a carbon film....

That takes us back to the computer controller with it's solid state Servo Drivers subject to a BIG ZAP of Static Electricity.....

AL

Amonaug
07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I do have a spare machine but the z-motor is the old version :( Which is missing parts and mostly for spare parts now.

I assume the controllers are the same? Not sure where that would be.

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Controllers are the same..... and the Motors are the same IF you plug the motor into the 8 pin jack.... The Pig Tail from the motor... The OLD Z Motor has a circuit board that has the 16 pin cable on it... I have swapped boards in the past using a OLD Z Motor swapping the 16 pin board to the 14 pin board....

So looks like you are in business... Having a Controller and a Motor.... HOW LUCKY !!!!!

Posted a picture of a old Z Pack with the 16 pin board.

As far as I know, the motor is the same... they added cable protection and changed from a 16 pin to a 14 pin circuit board.

AL

EDIT: REmoved because I was WRONG about the sleeve bearings... They have REAL Bearings.... End Edit:. This is a Public Service Announcement from the Pocono Digital Woodshop. Please resume you normal reading and carving.

AskBud
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Error Code Insight
I just got off the phone with Joe, at LHR.
Here is a general rule of thumb to follow.
1) The Error codes are not static. They may change with each version of the software. Therefore, a usable listing on the site would be difficult.
2) Joe reminds us that the "Words" on the Error Message are more important than the number. Take the time to write down the entire message!
3) Taking # 1 &2 into consideration, when you "Search" the Forum look for the words and remember that not all people use the same phrasing.
4) The HELP Desk also needs to know the wording to take the guess work out of their possible solution(s).
File these facts away somewhere for safekeeping.
AskBud

Amonaug
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Called LHR today. After going through the whole troubleshooting bit it looks like it may be the little circuit board on the z-motor. When the black/white plug is wiggled the resistance to the motor (ie power to the motor) goes on and off.

They had me check if it was the circuit board by removing the z-motor and plugging it into where the Y-motor plugs in. Turned on power and there is resistance to turning the gear even when the plug is wiggled.

So looks like I have to order a circuit board which is only $5 instead of the $80 motor + $40 core charge and S&H.

Amonaug
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Well got the circuit board and replaced it, did a test without everything put together (just in case) but everything plugged in. It seemed to work so I put everything back together. Went to try to run the project and bam, Z-axis stall 308 error right off the bat. Found a broken ribbon cable so replaced it but only had the 16 pin cable on hand so replaced all the circuit boards to the 16-pin version. Still getting the error.

Even though I check the z-motor on the y-motor plug and can get readings and resistance for some reason it refuses to work when it's plugged into the z-motor circuits. One last try is to put an old z-motor I have and try it again. If that doesn't work I guess it's another call to LHR to try and track this down. :(