PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright scanner and import

bergerud
07-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I would like to start an STL importer wish list. To be able to scan larger objects with the CarveWright scanner and convert them to STL would be very cool.

(Does any one already know of a converter from gray scale to 3d mesh?)

Pratyeka
07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Photoshop CS4 does convert 2D greyscale into 3D meshes.

bergerud
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks, I downloaded the 30 day trial of Photoshop CS4 and tried it. Looks pretty good. It can be done. The CarveWright scanner could compete with the optical scanners.

Ben Coleman
04-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Note to bergerud
I am a newbie and read your post about noise control and various bits and prices. Enjoyed your info and would like to ask you a couple questions.
Hope to go to the 2011 convention , do not own a machine . Have considered owning one for 4 years but busy with skiing and trapeze as well as
other projects around the house. are you going to the convention. Saw you were up in Vancover, I live in Colorado. Enjoyed your forthright statements.
Am new to the forum, just tried the last two days, as I had heard of the convention and decided that it would be a chance to meet other Carvewright
users and learn.my email is <trapezebc@yahoo.com> Seems as if I find a site and then do not know how to navigate the system yet to find the person or
blog again. Thanks and hope to hear from you. Ben Coleman

Price
04-16-2011, 09:53 PM
New CW owner and finished my first small STL project. Great question and good info on PS CS4 thanks!

I design the 3D objects in LightWave 3D and it has a displacement map feature that I've used to make 3D terrain models. Getting and using gray scale height maps from pattern editor opens a lot of stuff for me. (probe in the mail).

Easy method in LW is first make a square polygon subdivided into a grid mesh, the more the higher the resolution.

Then in LightWave Layout, in Object properties/displacement map tab, load and select your gray scale height map and the mesh will become embossed with your image.

Save your object as Transformed object, edit in LW Modeler to make scale and size match your project then covert to STL.

Thanks again, Price

Price
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Original post was in 2009, trying to catchup!

Just did my first scan to STL export and it's all included now in pattern editor. The 3d mesh turned out perfect and uniform, VERY nice. Lets you tweek the object in a modeler program.

Guess they didn't have that way back in the dark ages of Summer 2009. Been following since 2007, appreciate the great improvements.

Thanks again to all.