PDA

View Full Version : scan to stl?

bergerud
07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
It seems to me that data from scanner could be used to create STL files as well as gray scale bitmaps. I see no reason why the scanning depth could not also be increased. It would really be cool to be able to scan a larger object and then use the STL importer to slice it up for carving.

mtylerfl
07-23-2009, 05:51 PM
It seems to me that data from scanner could be used to create STL files as well as gray scale bitmaps. I see no reason why the scanning depth could not also be increased. It would really be cool to be able to scan a larger object and then use the STL importer to slice it up for carving.

A scan already is a gray-scale - you can save the scan (mpw) as a graphic (BMP, PNG) then open it in your photo editor if you wish.

With the right program, you can import the gray-scale graphic, create a relief from it, then create an STL from the relief. (I have done that many times using my ArtCAM software.)

Currently, scanning depth is primarily limited by the probe length and its mounting assembly - I've been able to scan items just over an 1¼" or so, but as you know, the carving bit is limited to 0.8" so I typically will reduce the thickness of the scan in the Pattern Editor to 0.8" or less.

bergerud
07-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I have taken a scan, saved it as a png, opened it in Photoshop and created a mesh, exported the mesh as an obj, imported that into 3ds max and exported as an stl. If the scans could be saved directly as stl files, it would make things much easier. There could be other advantages as well. For example, the 8 bit depth resolution of grayscale might not be a limitation for stl meshes. With a probe extension, we could do scans of larger objects.

sk8nmike
07-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I have taken a scan, saved it as a png, opened it in Photoshop and created a mesh, exported the mesh as an obj, imported that into 3ds max and exported as an stl. If the scans could be saved directly as stl files, it would make things much easier. There could be other advantages as well. For example, the 8 bit depth resolution of grayscale might not be a limitation for stl meshes. With a probe extension, we could do scans of larger objects.

I tried this on a Scan I have made and lost at least half the resolution. I'm sure that there is a practical purpose for converting a scan to STL, but nothing that I do.

mtylerfl
07-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Agreed - saving directly as an STL could be a convenience.

The 1.150 Designer version now supports 16-bit graphics which should yield a benefit in the quality of our scans and patterns. Have you had a chance to test that for yourself yet?

jiml
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
What does "STL" stand for?

Kenm810
07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
How About,

The Standard Template Library, or STL, is a C++ library of container classes, algorithms, and iterators;
it provides many of the basic algorithms and data structures of computer science.
The STL is a generic library, meaning that its components are heavily parameterized: almost every component in the STL is a template
You should make sure that you understand how templates work in C++ before you use the STL.

jiml
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
That's so far over my head I can barely see the vapor trail. Thanks.

Kenm810
07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
To tell the Honest truth, I'm with you!! :razz:

Now where did I put my Coloring Book and Crayons??

liquidguitars
07-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Ken..

STL is a file format native to the stereolithography CAD software created by 3D Systems.

Wiki page:

The STL file format appears capable of defining a polyhedron with any polygonal facet, but in practice it's only ever used for triangles, which means that much of the syntax of the file is superfluous. It is also the case that the value of the normal shouldn't be necessary, since that is a direct calculation from the coordinates of the triangle with the orientation being controlled by the right hand rule.

STL files are supposed to be closed and connected like a combinatorial surface, where every triangular edge is part of exactly two triangles, and not self-intersecting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

LG

Kenm810
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks LG,

I can see that I've just started getting my head around the basics of it,
with the reading and net searches I've done.
I down loaded a few tutorials and hope to be up to speed someday.
Ya can't let it intimidate you,
It's just another little speed bump on the learning curve we're all climbing. :wink:

eromran
08-23-2009, 12:33 PM
It seems to me that data from scanner could be used to create STL files as well as gray scale bitmaps. I see no reason why the scanning depth could not also be increased. It would really be cool to be able to scan a larger object and then use the STL importer to slice it up for carving.As far as scanning deeper object you can scan to almost 2 inches if you make the right sled there are probably other ways of going deeper but this is what i did for 1 7/8 deep scan. I made a sled with the rails 1 7/8 above surface. Then the glue tips that some are using to protect the delicate object during scanning (found at craft stores) they make longer ones that come in packages with several sizes. Take one of the longer ones (2 1/2 or 3 inch put it on end of probe. Pushes on nicely just make sure its tight then move it over to the rail on the sled push z-truck all the way up and cut off just enough of the bottom of extension so it just clears rail then proceed as usual . Ive done this plenty of times and you still get great detail but the tips wear out after a few scans but the increased height is worth it.I did have a tip fall off once in middle of scan so make sure its snug. Even after you take it into photo editor and flatten it out you still have good detail but now with the the stl importer you would not loose any detail and have a much deeper finished object.

TIMCOSBY
08-24-2009, 12:08 AM
putting a little hot glue inside the tip to keep it from falling off and it pops off the metal tip fairly easy after your done. you can also put on two tips to get deeper.

eromran
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
putting a little hot glue inside the tip to keep it from falling off and it pops off the metal tip fairly easy after your done. you can also put on two tips to get deeper.That just goes to show how easy its to over look the obvious and there not much substitute for experience. Great idea but i never thought of it and i use hot glue every day. And two tips!!!THANKS