PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Dust Collector from the front

glassocean
07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey guy's
I may not be well schooled at the machine itself, but I hate not having a dust collector. I've been working on a prototype for a few weeks and came up with a version that will allow me to see whats going on down there.
This is a very raw prototype, but I think I have the bugs worked out for the next one. I ony had to cut a small portion off of the bottom of the front cover.
I used it today with a cheap Harbor Freight DC and was very pleased.
I had to upload the photos since the forum always wants a smaller pic, no matter how small I go. And no, it does not hit the chuck

http://shopwhat2wear.com/DSC00556.JPG
http://shopwhat2wear.com/00559.jpg
http://shopwhat2wear.com/DSC0056111.jpg

James RS
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I like it, as you say you can still see what's going on

hotpop
07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
glassocean,

Great job! If you consider making a few more to sell put me on your list.

Steven Alford
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Now that is what I call a dust collector!!
I like that you can see what is going on.
When you have these in production, I will take one, as long as it does not cost as much as my machine did!!

hess
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
looks well made and sucks good too?

Do you just lift it out of the way at bit changes?

jaustin
07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
looking at the 2nd picture and the 3rd picture .
How do you support the weight of the hose so it does weigh the back end down?
causing the front to flip up that is inside of the machine

glassocean
07-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Do you just lift it out of the way at bit changes?

Yes, right now I'm using carpet tape to support it, but have plans to use velcrow

Jeff

glassocean
07-22-2009, 05:53 AM
looking at the 2nd picture and the 3rd picture .
How do you support the weight of the hose so it does weigh the back end down?
causing the front to flip up that is inside of the machine

That seems to be the bigest problem at this point. If you look at pic 2, you can se the supports w/carpet tape attached. I want to permanently mount acrylic supports on the DC and use velcrow for easy removal. I am experimenting with a few different ways to make it snug and secure.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
GREAT JOB !!!!!!!! EXCELLENT PROJECT !!!!!!

Did you cut the acrylic with the CW?

AL

AskBud
07-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Check out the possibility of using the 2 existing screw holes in the shelf for your teathering. I was able to find the correct thread and then just got, or made, thumb screws when I was testing my low profile (wooden) unit.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Bud,

What is the correct thread size? M5 ?

AL

AskBud
07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Bud,

What is the correct thread size? M5 ?

AL

Sorry, I just dug through my bins and found what I needed. LHR naver gave me the answer. I would guess at 10-32 or 10-24.
AskBud

glassocean
07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
GREAT JOB !!!!!!!! EXCELLENT PROJECT !!!!!!

Did you cut the acrylic with the CW?

AL

Al,
No, I used my tablesaw. This was some scrap acrylic, so I assume it's extruded, and would wrap around my bit until it was 3" or so.

Jeff

glassocean
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Check out the possibility of using the 2 existing screw holes in the shelf for your teathering. I was able to find the correct thread and then just got, or made, thumb screws when I was testing my low profile (wooden) unit.
AskBud

Bud,
I thought of doing that, but the holes are too close to the acrylic piece. I would have to shape it a little different or create a working jig (which I might)

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Since this design goes OVER the ledge that the top cover rests on, you could mount 2 strips of oak with a 1/4 inch gap and use threaded thumb screws to hold it in place..... I went with the notch method which is the poorest design to use as you loose suction even with the foam seal.

This acrylic idea has many GREAT features and is simple and looks like it will pick up chips GREAT.... Not sure about the static problem but looks Great !!!!!

Bud,

I was thinking the threads would be metric? Must be standard if you found them in your nut and bolt box....

You will need the size when you sell the design for your 2 PDF's

Hopefully someone can help you with that before press time.

AL

Jeff_Birt
07-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Acrylic will create a static charge as the ships move through it. Use some short plastic screws that just penetrate from the outside to the inside. Wire them together and to an (earth)ground through a 1Meg Ohm resistor. The screws touching the inside and outside of the acrylic will keep both side at the same potential and wire will bleed off any static charge to ground. The resistor prevents the ground from becoming a shock hazard to users.

AskBud
07-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Al,
I aborted this design because I did not get the air flow I wanted, and did not like the overhang. I, also, felt that I wanted to develop something that more users could make with no complications.

That is when I went to my final design for the Vacuum Project. It mostly cuts on the CW and tethers better on the shelf ledge. I used no glue or caulk. It is very easy to assemble, and is easy to get on & off.

If I were going to manufacture the product it might be a different story, but then the cost might be a problem.
AskBud

glassocean
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Acrylic will create a static charge as the ships move through it. Use some short plastic screws that just penetrate from the outside to the inside. Wire them together and to an (earth)ground through a 1Meg Ohm resistor. The screws touching the inside and outside of the acrylic will keep both side at the same potential and wire will bleed off any static charge to ground. The resistor prevents the ground from becoming a shock hazard to users.
Jeff,
Not to sound dumb, but regarding static, are you referring the above info for the acrylic collector? Is there a concern that the electronics may become damaged?

I also have found that Novus #1 (acrylic polish) is great for stopping static.

Jeff

atauer
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Static discharge could potentially jump from the acrylic to the machine, which would cause an issue, especially with the z-truck being as close as it is to the acrylic. It could also travel through the plastic cover into the cover switches, which could cause them to fail.

Great design BTW.

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Remember I posted about the Lightning Bolts of Static that were jumping from my metal hood to the cutting bit.... The ground clip had fallen off the metal hood.... So it IS possible..... for static to build up to the point of damage. I have a 2 HP dust collector.

It's the chips flowing through the collector that causes the static charge, more chips bigger charge.

AL

Jeff_Birt
07-23-2009, 07:48 AM
In your case Al your hood made out of PCB material makes a perfect Lydon jar ;), Ben Franklin would have been proud.
Just drill a few small holes through it and solder a piece of wire to both sides of the copper. That will keep both sides at the same potential.

Digitalwoodshop
07-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I did use air nails to connect both sides of the copper together and foil tape too then painted. It could have some capacitor characteristics.

That is why Tin would be good.... Or coated acrylic.

AL

AskBud
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
OK:
The CW vacuum Head project is now a listed project at $30.00.
Go to this link: http://store.carvewright.com//home.php?cat=261
AskBud

glassocean
07-27-2009, 07:18 PM
OK, I made another working prototype, and it works very well for me. I attached the body to a 3/4" x 2.25"x 14" piece of acrylic, and screwed/secured it to the body of the machine, using the pre-exisiting holes.
It is very stable with no wobble. The DC hose won't even make it budge. I made it a hair too large so I had to dado out a bit of the sides, or the screws wouldn't fit.
I did a 16 minute cut using MDF, and no dust except for what went down it the cuts.
As far as a static charge problem, I'm using Novus #1 and going by Pratyeka's statement:
My dust collector intake is plastic, but it rests on the metal frame of the machine. Any static that accumulates on the surface of the intake eventually discharges through the metal casing of the machine to ground. That the best way.
http://aqpros.com/DSC00626.JPG
http://aqpros.com/DSC00628.JPG
http://aqpros.com/DSC00629.JPG

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Excellent Design !!!!!

AL

That is a CLEAN SHOP.....

Steven Alford
07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
So how much are you going to sell these for?? And when will they be ready?

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I would love a side discharge version with the discharge off to the right away from the keyboard. Even attached to the right side rather than the top.

AL

PCW
07-27-2009, 08:30 PM
glassocean,

Nice clean job. Way to go!

glassocean
07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
So how much are you going to sell these for?? And when will they be ready?
I don't know that my thermoforming and acrylic joing skills are good enough to sell them. After I get one that is just the way I want, I will be glad to share how I did it.

Jeff

glassocean
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I would love a side discharge version with the discharge off to the right away from the keyboard. Even attached to the right side rather than the top.

AL

That was the way I originally wanted to do it, but this way was pretty easy. You could use pretty much the same design, with a larger acrylic box attached to the side.

Jeff

Steven Alford
07-27-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't know that my thermoforming and acrylic joing skills are good enough to sell them. After I get one that is just the way I want, I will be glad to share how I did it.

Jeff

That would be great. I will be looking for your instructions. Thanks, but you know, I think it looks awesome for someone with your "skills", worth it to me!!

fwharris
07-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Glassocean,

Great design! Well thought out and it looks like it should work great!