PDA

View Full Version : Carving too deep

Rocky
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm trying to make a sign (using Centerline text) with a 90 degree bit and the letters are carving too deep. My actual board thickness (.5) matches the thickness in the MPC (although I didn't think the board thickness was critical). I've done this many times without a problem, so I'm baffled now.

I'm using the Rock chuck and Designer 1.134.

AskBud
07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm trying to make a sign (using Centerline text) with a 90 degree bit and the letters are carving too deep. My actual board thickness (.5) matches the thickness in the MPC (although I didn't think the board thickness was critical). I've done this many times without a problem, so I'm baffled now.

I'm using the Rock chuck and Designer 1.134.

First can you attach the MPC so we may see your design?
Several questions:
What Font are you using? Each font has its own density of design and will carve differently. If the font looks dark as you look at it on the selection chart, it will carve deeper/wider.
Have you carved this exact sign before (size, chuck, Font, thickness, etc)?
Have you maintained the length of the bit-tip to conform to the specs from LHR?
AskBud

Rocky
07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
First can you attach the MPC so we may see your design?
Several questions:
What Font are you using? Each font has its own density of design and will carve differently. If the font looks dark as you look at it on the selection chart, it will carve deeper/wider.
Have you carved this exact sign before (size, chuck, Font, thickness, etc)?No
Have you maintained the length of the bit-tip to conform to the specs from LHR? It was my understanding that this wasn't critical
AskBud

Here's the MPC.

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I looked at your .mpc and it looks like it will carve just fine.

I would cut it again using the same board and just see what it does....

Yesterday I caught a V90 problem as it was at the bit plate it stopped 1/2 inch above the plate and reversed directions as if it touched the bit plate. I had wood chips in the Z Belt. Since it was the end of a 2 sided project I pushed the flex and head down the second time to FORCE it lower and pushed the bit plate down. This gave me a Refind error.... It let me clean the rails and belt and do the Refind again, this time good and it finished the project.

I would clean the Z.... Rails, rollers, belt, pulley and blow it all out. Then watch the bit change and be sure it touches all the correct areas.

Let it cut and let us know....

AL

Lin
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Rocky, I looked at the depths and I agree that it will carve too deep, some of the areas I looked at go .125" and more for Z depth and may very well bog down the machine when you run it. I think if you unchecked BOLD it will back off on the depth enough to carve like you want.
Lin

Rocky
07-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Rocky, I looked at the depths and I agree that it will carve too deep, some of the areas I looked at go 1.25" and more for Z depth and may very well bog down the machine when you run it. I think if you unchecked BOLD it will back off on the depth enough to carve like you want.
Lin

I'm not sure how you figure it will go 1 1/4" deep? The first line is not set at BOLD, and that's where it started to go too deep.

Thanks

Lin
07-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Rocky, My fingers didn't type it right. My brain said it right thou....I meant .125". I didn't realize that it had started going deep on the first line. I just checked the depth on the taller letters. Guess my thought of BOLD being the cause was totally off. I did not click on your pic or would have picked up on where it went bad on you. I just remember trying to run the font Hobo on BOLD in center line not long after I got my machine and getting a x-axis overload. I don't think I have ever used Bold or that font since.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Lin

AskBud
07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Quotes from Q&A:
Each font has its own density of design and will carve differently.
If the font looks dark as you look at it on the selection chart, it will carve deeper/wider.
Have you carved this exact sign before (size, chuck, Font, thickness, etc)?No
Have you maintained the length of the bit-tip to conform to the specs from LHR? It was my understanding that this wasn't critical
"End Quotes"

I think you will find that there may be some valid reasons for the bit length settings, otherwise they would not be a chart for us to follow.

I've posted similar statements before about Text.
1) If the Font looks dark/wide on the selection chart, it will carve deep.
2) Making any text BOLD increases the depth of that text.
3) A wide faced bit (90 degree) is an enemy of small text, 60 Degree may be better.
4) Your text "Spacing" is set at (3), I use (12) or more even with the (60) degree bit.

Armed with all the above information (including the caution on bit length) do yourself a favor. Borrow crayons from a kid. get a piece of paper and fold it so it is 6" wide. Now using your design use a pencil and mark the edge limits for each of your text lines.

Now comes the "Fun" part!
A) On the text with light lettering, write it with a light touch (using a crayon that has a blunted tip that looks similar to the 90 degree bit.
B) On the dark/larger text, use the same crayon and write that text (pressing hard as you write).
C) Next, let's emulate using a 60 degree bit by using a crayon that has a pointed end and start over with the same process.
D) Last, let's emulate changing to a lighter looking Font and do the trial again with a pen/pencil.

I'm not trying to be curt. I'm trying to allow you to understand the mix of Font, bold, bit tip, and bit length.
AskBud

Rocky
07-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I prepared another board and tried again with no MPC changes. The carve went fine. GO FIGURE!

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2009, 10:31 AM
It was all about the Z during bit change.... Always watch the bit change and look for problems.

AL

Rocky
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
It was all about the Z during bit change.... Always watch the bit change and look for problems.

AL

I will look now! :)