PDA

View Full Version : Joseph and boy Jesus

cnsranch
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I gave the attached the old college try after Michael Tyler poked me with a stick in another thread :mrgreen:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10901

It's a great pattern, but what would you expect from carvebuddy?

The quote was found in a Gospel re Joseph and his son (thought it pretty appropriate).

What do you think?

SteveEJ
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Quite Excellent! :)

rcdages
07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
cnsranch,

First off GREAT JOB on the carving of Joseph & Boy Jesus.

You do very fine work. I enjoy seeing your work and reading the information you share on this fourm.

I was wondering What your carrier board was like that you used to carve this slab on and in general how you did it?

Thank you,
rcdages

Bill
07-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Excellent work, very nice. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

cnsranch
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Kind words, RC - thanks.

Below is a pic of the carrier I used on another carve - didn't take any of this one.

I've got a lot of 3/4" plywood I use for carriers - I've just followed the Tips and Tricks to get them to work the way I want.

The Joseph and boy Jesus was a tad tricky, 'cause the carving area was a little irregular. Joseph's head is centered in the top of the carve area, and I planned it that way (even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while).

I have a horz and vert line drawn along each carrier board I use - with this carve, I marked where I wanted each axis on the walnut, and when I hot-glued it on the board, simply made sure those lines matched those on the carrier board. Worked great.

If you go to the other thread:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10901&page=3

You can find some comments I made there about set-up, etc., but I can't take credit, it's all from Tips and Tricks.

rhglassdr
07-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Can you post the mpc ?

mtylerfl
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Man that came out nice - first time I've seen that pattern carved - got to do one for myself ASAP. The text is very appropriate too - excellent choice! Wonderful piece, Jerry!

RayTrek
07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Jerry

I Love it, outstanding on both the pattern and carved slab
Thanks for sharing
Just noticed you about to hit the senior member status
Cheers!
Ray

geekviking
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Very nice! That came out excellent!

Icutone2
07-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Very nice work! Looks great!
Thanks for sharing.
Lee

cnsranch
07-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks, guys.

Can't post the mpc, the pattern's purchased (you can find it at carvebuddy).

I can post the mpc without the pattern if you like (it's on the computer at home), but it's as basic as it gets - drew an oval on Designer's board the approximate size of the slab (just for reference - and Designer's board was the same size as the carrier - carrier was at least 7" longer than the slab, answered "no" to "stay under rollers", since it would anyway), placed the pattern where I wanted it to carve, and added the text. Carved on optimum, took about 1.5 hours.

Using the original QC, BTW, with over 200 hours on it - sure wish the guys with no problems were as vocal as those who have problems.

In case anybody's interested - here is the Gopel according to Thomas:

And Jesus reached the age of eight years. Joseph was a master builder, and used to make ploughs and ox-yokes. And one day a rich man said to Joseph: Master, make me a couch, both useful and beautiful. And Joseph was in distress, because the wood which he had brought for the work was too short. And Jesus said to him: Do not be annoyed. Take hold of this piece of wood by one end, and I by the other; I and let us draw it out. And they did so; and immediately he found it useful for that which he wished. And He said to Joseph: Behold, do the work which you wish. And Joseph, seeing what He had done, embraced Him, and said: Blessed am I, because God has given me such a son.

PCW
07-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Jerry,

Thousand point question. Who put you up to saying this and what did they pay you?:-D

Congratulation's!

cnsranch
07-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Jerry,

Thousand point question. Who put you up to saying this and what did they pay you?:-D

Congratulation's!

AND HERE'S THE 1,000 POST ANSWER......

I love this machine, and I'm getting paid exactly how much Al Who (AW) is getting paid:mrgreen:

Dan-Woodman
07-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Jerry
WOW!!!! Way to go. You made it. What a joyous day .... Oh ahhhh what day is it again?
Congratulations , and keep'em com'in.
later Daniel

TIMCOSBY
07-21-2009, 07:37 PM

I love this machine, and I'm getting paid exactly how much Al Who (AW) is getting paid:mrgreen:

on the chuck? i don't and havent had a bit of trouble. i flick the chuck three or four times and the shavings if any drop out. never been stuck either.

fwharris
07-21-2009, 11:57 PM

Jerry,

Glad to see @ 1000!!:grin:.

BTW, not on my original QC, but running great with the one I have!!