PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade ????

sparky
07-19-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm using 1.132 , I'm contemplating upgrading to 1.15 but I'm kinda concerned with some of the problems I'm reading about. If I go to 1.15 and I'm not happy with it, how do I swap back?

bergerud
07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
If you are using windows, you can simply uninstall 1.150 and reinstall 1.132. If you save any files in 1.150, however, you will not be able to open them back in 1.132.

mtylerfl
07-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm using 1.132 , I'm contemplating upgrading to 1.15 but I'm kinda concerned with some of the problems I'm reading about. If I go to 1.15 and I'm not happy with it, how do I swap back?

You can have several versions installed and ready to run on your system. Many of us do just that.

The following instructions are from Jeff Birt from about a year or so ago. (I paraphrased and edited portions of the instructions)...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FYI,

If you have any need of keeping an older version of Designer alive when upgrading, first make a copy of the original installation directory (C:\Program Files\CarveWright), before installing the new version. Even after activating the new installation, the old activation will still be on your computer and you can run the older version from your backed up copy.

I copy the original install directory (by right-clicking on the directory) and then paste the copy right back into the 'Program Files' directory. Windows will rename it 'Copy of "name-of-program"...'. Find the 'gui.exe' file and right click and select 'Create Shortcut', copy the resulting short cut to your desktop and rename it Designer 1.1xxx (whatever version it was) so you won't lose track of which version is which.

When you install a newer version, it will overwrite the contents of the original Carvewright folder in 'Program Files', so that's why you need to make a copy of the old version first.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -