PDA

View Full Version : scrolling ?

mfoxworth1
07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
I am not sure if this machine can be used to cut scroll saw patterns If so where do ya start?

AskBud
07-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I am not sure if this machine can be used to cut scroll saw patterns If so where do ya start?

Your limitation probably will be the thickness if the bit-cut v/s the thin blade on the saw. The 1"16 cutting bit is the smallest at present, and it has a thickness/depth restriction.
AskBud

bjbethke
07-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Each machine has its uses. Scroll patterns make great patterns for the CW unit. The CW makes a 1/8 or 1/16 inch kerfs cut. The CW works great to make match pears of shelf brackets; It may not cut as fast as the scroll saw. I use both.

For this pattern I would,
Set depth to “Pierced”
Set the” Height to 999” to bring the carving to the surface.
When you’re finished run the project through sander or planer.
Since it is a scroll saw pattern all parts should hold together.

Some days it might be insane to use the CW

Dan-Woodman
07-19-2009, 10:15 AM
One of the problems cutting scrollsaw patterns is converting the patterns into vector cuts so the CW will recognize it and follow the lines. Or, depending on the carving pattern, you can right click on the pattern and select " outline pattern" and sometimes it will make a cutpath and then just apply a bit. Let us know some results.
later Daniel