PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path Icon Not Available On Rectangle

heyward43
07-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Looking for help on a project. I'm not sure if there's a problem or just my (mis-)understanding of how things should work. I am designing this piece that will be cut on both sides of the board. The last step is to cut out the design from the back of the board. When I draw a rectangle around the design the only tool available to cut through the board is to select a bit and do a rout. The "Cut Path" icon is greyed out. I looked at the designer software manual and it says that "Cut Path" is only available on closed vectors. Isn't a rectangle a closed vector? I don't want to do a rout since it won't place tabs to hold the cut out. I guess I could manually place tabs by leaving gaps in the rectangle. I am using designer 1.150. Project file attached. Any ideas?

bergerud
07-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I think you have found a bug. The cut path does not seem to work at all on the back of a board. This maybe new to ver 1.150

pine acres woodshop
07-18-2009, 12:25 PM
You can't do the cut out from the back because it carves the back side first then you flip the piece to carve the front. If you want to do a cut out it has to be on the front side. it is not a bug. It would be unsafe to do a cut out on the back then flip the piece and try to carve the front.

heyward43
07-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Many thanks to the answers so far. I didn't think it was a bug either but didn't know for sure. I can understand the back first then the front. In that case I will just reverse the sides so that the front is on the back and the back is on the front. That should work shouldn't it? Thanks again.

pine acres woodshop
07-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Yea, that should work for ya.

heyward43
07-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys (and gals). Good job.

pine acres woodshop
07-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Your welcome.

Mark

heyward43
07-18-2009, 01:30 PM
By the way. I just tried redrawing and believe it or not, it does work out that way. As soon as I reversed the front and back and drew the rectangle on the front - VIOLA! - there was the "Cut Path" icon. Thanks again folks.

mtylerfl
07-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I think you have found a bug. The cut path does not seem to work at all on the back of a board. This maybe new to ver 1.150

Hello,

Not a bug! Cut paths are never performed on the back of a board, and therefore cannot be drawn/programmed as such in Designer. Cut outs and Cut Paths are for Front-of-Board only!

bergerud
07-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I know. Duly embarrassed.

heyward43
07-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks to all. Y'all came thru again. Kudos.

mtylerfl
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I know. Duly embarrassed.

I'm sorry - please don't be embarrassed - we've all "been there" ourselves! It's a never-ending learning process for everyone.