PDA

View Full Version : Spindle running warm?

cestout
07-17-2009, 04:28 PM
The spindle in my z truck is sometimes running warmer than I think it should. When I change bits, it feels very warm - no quite hot. Is there a proper way to lube this? Also, does anyone know if LHR's e-mail is up? I got a notice a short time back that we should call because the-mail was not working properly.
Clint

DocWheeler
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Clint,

I believe that the spindle bearings are sealed and not user maintainable. The primary thing that I am aware of in this area is that if lube from the flex shaft gets into the spindle bearings, they are toast. I would suggest that you feel the bearings by taking the flex shaft lose and turn the QC to see if you have a bearing problem.

Other than that, I have no ideas - but I would like to know what you find.

cestout
07-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Ken,
I am probing at the moment. I will check and let you know. How does your feel after a long carve, I mean the spindle on your machine?
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
If it is warm it is toast.... oil like the flex shaft uses is thick and the high speed bearings cannot handle any oil on the track the BB's ride on. They are sealed from dust but if you remove the 2 screws and take the top hat off and you see oil laying on the rubber get a new truck.

AL

Kenm810
07-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Clint,
Like Doc and Al said, any extra lube on the Flex-Shaft can find its way down into the Top-Hat and may cause bearing failure,
I periodically pull the F-S, check for any oil or lube residue in the Top-Hat and swab it out to help keep it clean.
The Carving Head and Spindle often run 10 to 20 Degrees above ambient room temperatures,
I noticed mine running a little warm last summer while I was carving Lithos in Corian,
but it soon dropped back down to around 100 Degrees when I went back to carving some Poplar projects.