PDA

View Full Version : Mac version of Designer software - beta test

yenne
03-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Hello, everyone! We are pleased to announce that a beta test of the Macintosh version of our Designer software is now available. Everything except the tutorials seems to be working, and we appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.

The system requirements are still being worked out, but our testing so far indicates a need for MacOS 10.2.6 or later, 800MHz G3 or faster, 256MB or more of memory (512MB preferred), and about 62MB of disk space. This is a Universal binary, so it should work natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs.

Please let us know how it works on your Mac, as well as your Mac's model and memory so that we can narrow down the requirements. Here's the link, and the password is the same as that of the Windows version (give us a call if you haven't been e-mailed the password yet):

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWright_beta.dmg

cheers,

pkunk
03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
and all is well. Mac OS 10.4.5 on a 800 mh FP iMac 768 ram. Even with the ram I have, Designer works best with no other apps open.
Just got my machine today and after a small y axis glitch (bent Y homing flag) it worked perfectly. Kudos to the staff!!! :D

Tugrik
12-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Greetings! I just pushed the "Order" button on the Sears website for a new CompuCarve. With luck we'll get it by the 15th.. I can't wait!

I'd like to start playing with the software while waiting for it to come in. I use an Intel-based macintosh (macbook and macbook pro). I've downloaded the latest .DMG but it requests a password.

Is there a way I can sign up for the beta and get the password, or must I wait for my new machine to ship in and the password will be in the as-shipped software?

If nothing else I can run the Windows version inside of the Parallels VM of WinXP I have.

Thanks for any info you can share!

BKR
12-28-2006, 12:45 AM
I've installed the Mac beta software and all seems to be well except for running the tutorial (which is an .exe windows application - hehe).

My System:
Mac Pro OS X ( 10.4.8 )
2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2 GB 667 MHz DDR22 FB-DIMM

Keep in mind I don't 'yet' own a CarveWright, I'm just interested in it and decided to install the software to get a feel for it's uses.

QUESTION:
I understand this is trial software and I'm a little confused with the different versions if there are such things, Trial, Registered, Advanced? I've been reading the forums a bit and I'm still a little confused :)

Also, is there a spot for more Patterns? (I don't think anyone could have enough :P)

BobHill
12-28-2006, 09:34 AM
BKR

There is a pretty big difference between the original "Beta" CarveWright software and the new SEARS version, but not having the SEARS, I'm not sure what that all would entail. I'd suggest you read over all the threads, and especially when you catch something of interest on the subject, check the date of the posting. Anything earlier than mid December would most probably be from Beta people and pertain to the full software version. I also believe somewhere (while I was on personal vacation ... I don't work for LHR or Carvewright) there was an explanation of the software differences. I'm just not sure what they might be.

I am pretty sure, however, that if you are using the DEMO version, you ARE using the most up to date SEARS and what's called the BASIC software. I don't believe the full version has been released yet for those folks. I'd guess that some of the other long time posters might be able to fill us both in on this though.

You'll find a plethora of different projects that people have entered in Designer file form. Check the library. You and use and take apart any of those without a problem. The only thing you CAN'T DO is use their fonts, as fonts DO NOT GO WITH A DESIGNER FILE but have to already exist on your machine or else their font is substituted (called "panose" activity in today's computers). so if you see a JPG image with some fancy font, you might have to ask the creator what font he used, as the Designer file won't have it, and thus the text lettering design on your machine would look different from any JPG image that might be posted of it.

Bob

pkunk
12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
I've installed the Mac beta software and all seems to be well except for running the tutorial (which is an .exe windows application - hehe).

My System:
Mac Pro OS X ( 10.4.8 )
2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2 GB 667 MHz DDR22 FB-DIMM
I'm on a 20" Duo Core iMac, 2gig ram-you'll like how Designer works
Keep in mind I don't 'yet' own a CarveWright, I'm just interested in it and decided to install the software to get a feel for it's uses.

QUESTION:
I understand this is trial software and I'm a little confused with the different versions if there are such things, Trial, Registered, Advanced? I've been reading the forums a bit and I'm still a little confused :)
There's been no discussion on the differences in the Mac trial software so hopefully Carvewright will answer this for you.

Also, is there a spot for more Patterns? (I don't think anyone could have enough :P)
You can import all the patterns you wish into the pattern library.

BKR
12-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your replies!

I've found on the FAQ that the 'Advanced Version' may be released in 2007, time line and price is unknown. ( http://carvewright.com/faq.html#52 )

As for finding more patterns to import, is there a download area for freebies or are we waiting for an official paid expansion kit?

pkunk
12-28-2006, 11:07 AM
you'll find most on the 'Gallery' page but they're scattered all over the forum. Here's one thread.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336

BKR
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Ah, scattered :)

I'll start with your link and do a search for 'patterns' :P

Thanks!