PDA

View Full Version : new carving bits

Pratyeka
07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Just passed the 200hrs mark on my machine, and went through 3 1/16" carving bits. Seems that cherry is tough on bits.

I just ordered 2 carving bits from Soigeneris, same bits as those from Precisebits.com, but the shipping is much cheaper. Bought the plated ones this time, hope they really last longer than the unplated ones.

AskBud
07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Is there nowhere/no-one that sharpens these bits?
AskBud

wgrigsby
07-17-2009, 10:26 AM
If you found someone to sharpen your bits wouldn't that make them smaller in Dia. ? How would that work when carving? Since they are carbide bits you could try a very hard stone on the flats not the Dia. I don't know how much help this would be but it couldn't hurt.

cnsranch
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Looks like RJustice is more than the "rockman" - PKunk has an answer as well.

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=6407&highlight=sharpen

Pratyeka
07-17-2009, 11:59 AM
it's easy to resharpen the 60 and 90 degree bits, not so the carving bit. There are places out there that will resharpen end mills, but they charge $10-$20 per bit, and those are straight bits. Tapered ball nose bit are even more difficult to resharpen and they will get smaller, so the tip may not stand much resharpening anyway, imho. So I prefer paying $40 for a quality TiN plated carving bit than risk $20+ resharpening + shipping...

Digitalwoodshop
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Good advice.

rjustice
07-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Guys,
It is possible to get them resharpened, but like everything else, it is hard to save any money in doing so if you only have a handful. If there was a batch of say 100 of them then it could be worthwile to do. The only way to accomplish this would be through a community effort. Someone collects the tools, get a batch done, then re-distribute. This would require trust and patience, as it could take a month or more to get your tool back depending on how long it took to get enough in the batch.
The tips would be the same size as what they are now, you just advance the whole tool back rather than just taking it off the diameter.

Ron

Pratyeka
07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Guys,

The tips would be the same size as what they are now, you just advance the whole tool back rather than just taking it off the diameter.

Ron

Of course! Always ask the expert:)
Thanks, I'll go to bed smarter tonight, a day with nothing learned is a wasted day...