PDA

View Full Version : Reading about problems...

jaustin
07-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Are a lot of the problems members are posting about on high time machine or low time?

Makes me worry about spending $2k on a setup.

DickB
07-17-2009, 08:47 AM
From what I've read and experienced, both.

If you are not the type to fix your own equipment, then this machine is probably not for you. I have only had my machine for a short time, 26 hrs cut time, and have had to repair it a few times already.

The cover switch failed after only a few hours. I received a replacement and instructions within a few days, but it failed again on the next project. I then used some electrical contact cleaner on it and it has been OK since.

The flex cable became quite warm so I lubed it per instructions.

I had problems with the bit plate not popping out and the bit position not being located. I have since become familiar with operation, but at the time I wasn't and didn't really understand the sequence. At some point there was a prompt asking if I wanted to continue anyway so I said yes. The machine promptly broke my cutting bit as it moved the truck with the bit lowered below the board surface. I learned to keep spare cutting and carving bits on hand.

At about 23 hours the z-truck disintegrated. The bearing sleeve worked itself loose and the casting broke causing one of the guide wheels to fall off. Fortunately I was watching the machine at the time and stopped it promptly. Carvewright's phone system was down, meaning I was placed on hold indefinitely twice. It took a little over a day to get a response by email. I got a new z-truck under warranty, but had to pay a $40 core charge to avoid the delay of sending my bad one in. While installing the truck I had a problem due to a manufacturing defect. One of the threaded holes was either not cut correctly or clogged with gunk (I didn't catch this right away). During installation a screw became bound up in this and I had to drill it out, re-tap the casting threads, and get a replacement screw at the hardware store. While at it, I replaced both screws with hex head rather than the Phillips which were supplied, as this made it much easier to tighten on installation.

The instructions for installing the z-truck call for the use of "permanent thread cement", a term that caused some confusion. Use of terms like blue or red thread lock, much more common terms, or even part numbers, would have been helpful. I find some of the Carvewright descriptions and terminology to be less than clear. I previously commented on the minimum board length requirements and "stay under the rollers" questions that could IMHO be clearer and can be confusing until you've done it a few times.

I sent my broken z-truck core back over two weeks ago but have not yet gotten a core refund. An email on the subject earlier in the week has gone unanswered. At the time there was a posting that the phone system was down again. Looks like that message has since been removed, so I suppose I will try the phone again.

I evaluated other machines and software. Carvewright has the most capable and easiest to learn and use software. The machine itself is very capable and really without equal. If you want or need that capability, it's what you need. But if you can't repair it yourself, and need to send it back to the factory for repairs, you may be subject to expensive, extended down time.

AskBud
07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Jaustin,
This is my opinion and others may not fully agree.
The "seasoned" and "careful" owners have less problems with their units. I am not yet fully one of those people.

Like a new car, there is a break-in period in which things happen. This includes machine problems, but mostly "User" error and inattention. The user error/inattention can and will cause all sorts of machine failures over and above the parts not covered by warranty (Flex Shaft, Sandpaper Belts, and the QC).

Knowing this is one of the reasons I purchased my units through Sear's. I got the 5 year warranty as well. So far all my problems (man made or part failure) have been fixed, at no cost, just by returning the unit to Sear's for repair. In some cases this has resulted in Sear's giving me a new unit. Attention/inattention to detail, while repairing the machine can cause much larger problems than the initial situation!

If you are ready to read the manuals, Tips, and Forum, faithfully, and think before you push the button, you may be ready to purchase the CW/CC. Even with all my failures, I love the machine. I'm very glad I went to Sear's as the same repair mistakes by me would have been out of my pocket rather than Sear's.

By the way, I have 2 machines at the present time.
AskBud

supershingler
07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
ive have over 200 hrs on my first machine and other than the qc, ive have only minimal problems with my carver. one cover switch and one board sensor. i get great results most of the time but on occasion i have a brain fart and have to go back and figure out what i did wrong.

in my opinion the reason for having a forum is if you have a problem others can help you with it. this forum is great and has some VERY knowledgeable and talented people on it.

the reason you read about problems here is if you not having problems your not on the forum. you dont see people getting on and saying "hey i did a 8 hr carve and had no problems".

this is a great machine with a ton of possibilities. i lay awake at night thing about what i want to do next. i bought a second machine to help me keep up with orders that i have been getting.

maybe im one of the lucky one i not having problems.

if you love woodworking you love this machine

good luck

kendall

Wilbur
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree with this.
I know about both bad and good. The first machine I had was always brakeing down. I got a new one and just coming off 200 hr of very good carving and operations.
I did go with the rock chuck because I did have a problem with the QC right out of the box.
Now I will be going on Sears 5 yr warranty so I am very happy with the machine and happy I did not give up on getting another one.

Wilbur

jaustin
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
thanks for the replies.
The mechanical problems shouldn't be a problem since i work as a maintenance mechanic in the real world.

The software may be my only problem, but i think i may be ok with that, with all of the tutorials that i seen posted.

how do you know if the machine you are getting has the most current upgrades and mods?

I will most likely be ordering from lowes unless they will not price match. (6 months no interest)

cestout
07-17-2009, 04:50 PM
My first machine was almost a bad as DickB's. After a year and a quarter it needed more repair. Sears decided to replace it rather than fix it. Fine with me. This time I got a 5yr instead of 2yr mtc pkg. But this machine runs much better and quieter than the first. Also there is a thread about discount referb machines. Someone mentioned all the up-grades. Most sounded like the problems that I had with the first machine. So improvements in the machine and experience have made things much better. But I would not recommend this machine for the non- mechanically inclined.
Clint

DickB
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
how do you know if the machine you are getting has the most current upgrades and mods?
I think you don't. I bought my machine recently, but it had an older z-truck. The replacement was different and presumably better.

hess
07-17-2009, 11:58 PM
thanks for the replies.
The mechanical problems shouldn't be a problem since i work as a maintenance mechanic in the real world.

The software may be my only problem, but i think i may be ok with that, with all of the tutorials that i seen posted.

I will most likely be ordering from lowes unless they will not price match. (6 months no interest)

Lowes is doing a 12 no pay no % until the 27th just got it today

jaustin
07-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Lowes is doing a 12 no pay no % until the 27th just got it today

was it a flyer?
don't see it on the website.

if i find this 12mths, guess i will go and order one today, since i have to go to work tomorrow.

hess
07-18-2009, 01:59 PM
was it a flyer?
don't see it on the website.

if i find this 12mths, guess i will go and order one today, since i have to go to work tomorrow.

Got it in the mail they have to give it to ya it is for anything over 250 or 299 send me your email by pm and i will send you a copy this pm

but all you should have to do is go to CS desk they will have them there

mark1945
07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I have over 325 hours on my 1st machine and around 100 hours each on my other 2.I have had very few problems except with the QC I have converted 2 of my machines to modified RC Eliminator chucks and have had no problems since with those 2 machines.When the QC goes bad on my other machine its getting the RC too.Stops the vibration which I feel causes most of the problems not caused by dirt or operator error.