PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Flex Shaft Issues

bladewar7
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok. So First my QC went. No problem since I decided to upgrade to the rock chuck. After the rock install, my flex shaft kept popping out of the top hat and eventually melted the flex shaft and spring. I noticed a little BB mark on the flex shaft where if connects to the top hat and figured a new flex shaft would solve the problem. After getting the new flex shaft, lubricating and installing it, my problems still weren't over. The new flex shaft still pops out of the top hat during carving. Also, the z-truck and the whole length of the flex shaft cable gets really hot to the point where I feel if I leave it go it will start melting again. Lastly, the flex shaft core gets stuck in the z-truck and I can't get it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAA3840
07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
First thing you do is go by the local Honda Shop (motorcycles) and pick up a can of chain lube with moly. Honda's comes in a Black and White spray can with red writing. Clean up your flex shaft and re-lube with the Honda chain lube. It's what I started using after my flex shaft was getting so hot I couldn't touch it. Now I can't tell if it's warmed up at all. It just doesn't get hot, no matter how long the carve is.
Here's the link for Honda Oil and Chemicals.

http://powersports.honda.com/documents/2008/brochure_2008_Honda_Oil_and_Chemicals.pdf
Here's the Honda part number and description:
08732-CLM00 8837270 HP Chain Lube/Moly

The reason your flex shaft keeps coming loose is probably because the wrap-around spring on the top hat has weakened with age and heat or you're just not getting it seated deep enough. If it's the spring, you'll probably need to replace it.

bergerud
07-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Is the little ball bearing still in the clip on top of the z truck? Acually, it sounds like a bad bearing in the z truck. Did you damage a bearing getting the old QC off? If you can get the flex shaft out, spin the spindle to feel for friction.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
07-17-2009, 09:11 AM
The flex shaft can be really tricky to seat. It takes a little pressure sometimes to fully seat.

bladewar7
07-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks all for the help it is greatly appreiciated. Ok, I did lubricate it with Liquid Wrench Chain with Moly just prior to installing it into the machine. The Ball Bearing is also still in the machine and I also checked for wear on the bearing thinking that may be the reason but there is no wear. Also, the spindle turns freely without resistance. As for getting the old QC off, that was pretty simple, too. I had the right size square tool for the spindle. Could it still be a bearing on the z-truck? I checked the "springyness" of the clip and I think it could be better.

bergerud
07-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Since you had the same problem with two flex shafts and since the z truck gets hot, you would think it must be the spindle bearings. I would try to spin them up using a Dremel. See if the is any resistance at high rpm. You might hear or feel a vibration that was masked by the cut motor.

Does anybody have experience with a hot flex shaft heating up the z truck? How much heat can be transmitted to the spindle from a hot flex shaft?

supershingler
07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
the only time ive had my tophat heat up was when my flex shaft was running hot also. this was on a used machine that i bought. i put in a new flex shaft that was properly lubed and the war tophat dissappeared. i took the original flex that was in the machine and cleaned it up and used the lubricant that i always used and reinstalled it in the machine and had no warm up of either flexshaft or top hat. i think maybe your warm tophat may be due to the flexshaft also getting warm. just my thought

good luck

kendall