PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a few patterns

PinUpGal
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been on in a long time but my old username was Amanda0101. I normally stick to lithophanes but my niece asked me to build her a playhouse and while I have made a couple before, I wanted this one to be special. Problem is my designs have always been pretty simple, I stuck with framing, wood planks on the roof and sides, plexiglass windows, etc. Now I'm thinking about creating a few new things but I can't seem to get the patterns down and was wondering if anyone ever tried to create these in the past or had some ideas. Here are a list of things that I need, many of them I am sure I can figure out like the door but I am posting in case anyone has any ideas that I can use.

-mini chair rail
-wood shingles that I can overlap
-mini shutters (what I am having the hardest time with)
-window panes (the windows are plexiglass but I want the wooden frame to make them into four sections without it looking like I glued wood to plastic)

If anyone has any preexisting patterns, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

fhoward2
07-16-2009, 02:23 PM
All I did was make a rectangle box and use the select a texture icon and then used the vertical waves. hope this helps.
Frank

atauer
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
How thick is the plexiglass you are using?

I got a good idea for a window frame design, but need the specs for the window size.

PinUpGal
07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I haven't figured out the exact specs for the window yet but the thickness I normally use is 1/4".

How thick is the plexiglass you are using?

I got a good idea for a window frame design, but need the specs for the window size.

PinUpGal
07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
For the shingles it would be a lot easier to find a way to use one piece of wood or strips and make it appear as if it were overlapping. This would be easier than creating individual shingles.

James RS
07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
I got these off of here awhile back,sorry I don't remember who put them.

RayTrek
07-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Hello

Long time - this is a build mpc for a log cabin; you can select a group and make a pattern like a row of shingles or the whole roof.
There may be something useful with a little work.
Ray

whr1900
07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
It is only a suggestion but back in my younger days when I was building model houses I would take a piece of wood cut to the thickness that I would want my shingles and then cut them to a thickness on a band saw and that would give it some texture, It worked good for me.

fwharris
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Amanda, welcome back!!!

Like whr1900 said, use a block of wood (cedar 2x4) and cut it to the length for the shingles. Then when you cut it if you can try to tapper it so one end is thicker than the other. This will give it a real shingle look plus also make them lay flatter vs if it is the same thickness.

hotpop
07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Type in "shingles" at the Pattern Depot search.