PDA

View Full Version : board tracking o-ring

olkarch
07-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I am confused about where the o-ring is supposed to be on the brass roller of the board tracking sensor. There is a groove on each side of the knurling on the brass roller. Troubleshooting guide (Rev 1.2) February 14, 2007 says "The black rubber o-ring needs to be in the inside groove of the brass roller" but which is the inside? The recent CarveWright instructional video seems to show the o-ring on the keyboard side of the roller in one shot, and directly on the knurling in another. I find that would not work on my machine as the sandpaper belt would touch it in that position, and that fact also makes it very difficult to install the ring on the KB side also. I have had success with it on the interior side, but it rolls off easily into the dust collector. For that matter, it rolls off easily from the other end also.

Also, should the sandpaper belt actually be so close to the brass roller that it abrades the o-ring when loading it?

The last two projects worked with the o-ring to the right (center of machine) but trying it with the ring to the left (keyboard) gave repeated board-tracking errors.

Olin

cnsranch
07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Been there -

The o'ring goes on the inside groove nearest the keypad side of the machine.

Look here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8425&page=2&highlight=o-ring

olkarch
07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Been there -

The o'ring goes on the inside groove nearest the keypad side of the machine.

Look here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8425&page=2&highlight=o-ring

Thanks. That seemed to be the case, but the term 'inside' had me wondering. Inside what? 'Inside' to me would mean relative to the machine.

Hear that, writers of manuals? Watch the ambiguity.

Olin

forqnc
07-16-2009, 07:34 AM
I am used to hearing/using the term 'inside' with reference to something being held inside. Like you found with the 'O' ring, if you put it on the inside of the knurl, it is held and does not fall off easily, unless the 'O' ring is oversized or damaged. Now if you put it on the 'outside' of the knurl, as you found out it falls off and ends up in your dust extraction. So I am used to inside/outside reference individual parts not the machine in general.

Man, I just re-read that and I probably confused you more!

Good Luck

Kenm810
07-16-2009, 08:16 AM
The "only" place the 'O' Ring should Be --- :wink:

rickyz
07-22-2009, 08:40 AM
i just noticed mine is missing. anyone know the i.d. and o.d. of the o-ring ?

cnsranch
07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Ricky

Go down to my post below, and click on the link I have there...

Pratyeka
07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I took mine off, I get better measurements without it. Ran the calibration many times with the v1.15 and with the O-ring I get 35.~" on a 36" board, now without the O-ring I get 36.1~", same board.

forqnc
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
i just noticed mine is missing. anyone know the i.d. and o.d. of the o-ring ?

Check out this thread
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8425&highlight=o+ring

good luck