PDA

View Full Version : Trial STL

cholme@mac.com
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to evaluate the STL Importer before dropping $300? It sounds like a great tool, but it would be nice to know for sure.

hotpop
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
There is no way for you to test the 3-D Importer before you buy it. I have used it and some other forum members have also. I haven't heard any complaints. The tutorials show exactly how it works. It only takes a few minutes to figure out how to use it. Of course you will need access to STL files as well.

Digitalwoodshop
07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Chris posted that question to Joe L. and he came back no....

AL

cholme@mac.com
07-19-2009, 01:04 AM
I am wondering if anyone has tried it with SketchUp? I found a script that exports from ShetchUp to STL, but I know sometimes things like that don't work as expected.

I would also be curious what other programs (for Mac) people have used to create STL files?

dholzric
07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I think they probably should release a demo version of the STL software. I was a bit nervous about dropping $300 on it without trying it but it really is worth the money. It's amazing how much easier it is to work with a 3d program and not have to try and jump through hoops to export it into a file that you can use.

Frederick_P
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
The STL format is an industry standard and should be supported by the existing designer software without any additional money. If CW wants to sell an advanced version of an STL importer software to add extended capabilities such as slicing the file to create layers for the CW machine, then that would be a valid reason to spend more if that is a function that is needed.

Personally, I would not buy any software without first being able to evaluate it on my particular computer platform and for my particular needs. While others may find it useful for what they are doing, it may not work for what I need.

The designer software has an issue on my computer with the preview window being black. This has been an issue with the software since at least 2006 and has still not been fixed. This does not give me the confidence to shell out more money for software that I am unable to test.

If you buy the software and you have a problem with it, too bad. There is no refund. But if you have a real need for the advertised functions of the program and there are no third party alternatives, then you may have no choice.

liquidguitars
07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
works as advertised, good product.

I use it everyday.

LG