PDA

View Full Version : In the mail...

weekendofsound
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I just yesterday ordered my carvewright, and I am... terrifically excited.

Anyhow, I have many questions, and I am sure I will have more.

Primarily I am hoping to use it to make guitar parts for some projects. I know liquidguitars is the man to talk too about this.

Who else has used it for this purpose? What size sleds have you used, and what materials worked best?

How were the results? Was the neck pocket tight enough?

How difficult is it to paste a picture of a guitar into the designer and make it? I can only assume that you would need to edit out the pickups and hardware stuff.
Is it possible to copy a part of a project and paste it into another? for instance, if I used the probe to copy one guitar that I have and then put part of that into another image?

I'm sure I have more. Thank you in advance for your answers!

forqnc
07-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi weekendsofsound, welcome to the forum. First thing most replies may tell you is to use the search feature (linked up the top of the page). Type in key words sometimes in quotes and more than 4 letters. Not trying to burst your ego or enthusiasm but there is a wealth of info on the forums. Also check out the tips and tricks monthly newsletters on Carvewrights site. For ideas browse the gallery and the Project of the Month (POM) on carvewrights site.
Good Luck

Digitalwoodshop
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree.... Just taking a picture of a item and putting it in designer and cutting a perfect wood item and driving to the bank with the Check is SO far from the way it works....

Mastering the software is in my opinion the hardest thing to do....

I spent a few hours the other day to make a bridge logo... Spent hours and it turned out as garbage.... Yet, there are others who could have made a masterpiece in a short time.

I would be willing to bet that much of the artwork that LG uses is hand drawn vector cuts that have been refined over many test cuts.

Yes, it can be done and done WELL with the machine. The learning curve is long and frustrating and you will make a lot of Designer Firewood.

Good Luck,

AL

cestout
07-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I have been doing this for about a year and a half, and just tried my first guitar (actually base) body. My son-in-law carved the basic body on one side of some glued-up pine. I scanned it with my probe to get a pattern for that. I made a pattern for the pickups by measuring and creating in project design program and did "make pattern". For the pattern for the neck I traced it on paper, colored it black, scanned it with the computer scanner and made that picture into a pattern. After three tries on glued up pine, we finally got it just right and will now use good wood. I have a full shop and can mill the pieces to get a good blank to start with. 1 1/2 years doing this plus many years wood working experience showed me how to make the sled, also one of the "tips & Tricks" mentioned earlier. My point is, learn this machine, practice on simple stuff, pick brains here on the forum and when you don't have to ask have how do it, you will be ready to try. This machine is a lot of fun, even the simple stuff. Go back an collect some of the projects from the old "Tips & Tricks". I am 71 and this stuff keeps my brain in good condition - for thinking - not for remembering.
Good Luck and Happy Carving.
Clint

weekendofsound
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Currently I am having some problems with my serial number, as I got a used unit, but I am hoping it gets resolved soon.

I am trying to figure out how to make a sled, which I hope to make in the next week or so... I am just going to explain what I need and my logic in that regard, and hopefully someone can sort through my gibberish.

guitars tend to be about 13" wide by... we'll say 20" long and 2" deep, and I wanted to make a sled that would be multifunctional for both the body and neck (necks are usually no more than 27")

SO!

I was thinking I would make a sled that is about 36" long, and solid for 4" on either end; 2" deep, and 14-14.5" wide using wood that is about 1/2" thick, and either use pieces of wood that fit within that or use multiple dowels to keep the wood in place.

Do you think this would work? do you have any suggestions? how did you make your sled?

TIMCOSBY
07-25-2009, 01:58 AM
for a ling time ..... but ...... pictures suck donkey doodoo for wood carving. litho panes look great however.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
07-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Weekendofsound, Look forward to seeing your work. Once again you can use the search function to find the information you are looking for. There is a write up by I believe it was Doc Wheeler on making a sled and a very good one. I think you can find it under tutorials with alot of other great information. Good Luck . Matt