PDA

View Full Version : Bug - omission of trim edges in pattern editor 1.150

bergerud
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Where is the trim edges filter? I got excited when I saw the STL videos (#4) which showed the use of trim edges in the filter pull down menu. It is a great feature to filter those noisy imported edges. What happened? Did we get a different version than in the videos?

Jeff_Birt
07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I believe that feature is still in internal testing. I'm not sure when it will be released.

mtylerfl
07-15-2009, 07:44 AM
I don't recall seeing a "trim edges" filter in the video you referred to. (I did see the use of the "round edge" tool which is part of the Pattern Editor - is that what you meant?)

bergerud
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
In the fourth STL importer video with the car. Just before the two disjointed pieces are joined by the rectangle.

liquidguitars
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
bergerud,
like Jeff said still in beta, I got to use it for a little bit. Cool tool/idea..

LG

ironsides
07-16-2009, 06:21 PM
bergerud,
like Jeff said still in beta, I got to use it for a little bit. Cool tool/idea..

LG

Does this mean that I was duped into buying an upgrade that had a bait-and-switch feature?:confused:

I bought the STL Importer based on the 4 tutorial videos and now I find out that the feature is not released yet.:(

ironsides:confused:

bergerud
07-16-2009, 07:56 PM
I thought (hoped) the feature would appear when I activated the STL importer. According to the video, it was part of the "procedure".

They really should fix the import filter so that we do not get noisy boundaries that need trimming! Other programs import bitmaps without adding boundary noise.

Oh well, I am happy with the STL importer even with the "bait and switch"!

AskBud
07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
In what manual will I find the directions on Pierce?
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Huh!!
A manual??
You would be better off wishing for a CW machine under your Christmas tree.
It will take them 6 months to a year (if even then) to come up with a manual to cover all the new things in 1.15.

AskBud
07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Surley the software person(s) "documented" their work.
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-16-2009, 09:05 PM
If they had there would not be any software problems.

liquidguitars
07-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Hopefully in the next "Free" upgrade guys.. ;)

LG

LittleRedWoodshop
07-17-2009, 12:19 AM
there is a manual download right on the STL importer page at CarveWright.com

http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Software_instructions/STL_Importer.pdf

It's only 14 pages, but it is a manual.

Jeff_Birt
07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Does this mean that I was duped into buying an upgrade that had a bait-and-switch feature?:confused:

The trim edges filter is not part of the STL import it is part of the Pattern Editor. CW is not a company that does silly tactics like mentioned above. I'm sure it was just an oversight. I'll see if there is any info available on the addition of the trim edges filter.

RMarkey
07-17-2009, 10:08 AM
In what manual will I find the directions on Pierce?
AskBud

There is no difference between the STL importer's "carve to full depth" and the "pierce" option on the main designer screen.

Knowing that, from the STL manual,

Another import control on this page is the Carve to Full Depth option. When carving
patterns sliced from a 3-D model, the dimensions of the pattern are critical if the pieces are
to assemble properly. The CarveWright Designer typically places a pattern relative to the
top surface of the board, so variations in the thickness of a board are not usually a concern.
However, when reconstructing a 3D model these variations can become important. By choosing the
Carve to Full Depth option, the generated pattern will automatically be set as a “Pierced” carving
when placed on a board. Pierced carvings are carved so that the deepest parts of the pattern are
carved just below the bottom of the board, which causes the pattern dimensions to be measured
relative to the bottom surface of the board instead of the top, and thus helping to ensure the pattern
is carved to the proper dimensions. Creating the slices as pierced carvings also makes them easy to
remove from the rest of the board when complete. The Carve to Full Depth option is automatically
selected for each piece so you will need to unselect it if this behavior is not desired.

On the machine side, start by running the depth calibration (option 0, 6, 2). There is no need to reset all calibration parameters. Make a test project with a small rectangle, say 1" x 2". Select "carve region", "pierced". Draw a couple of vectors through the rectangle, like cross hairs. Select "place tabs". Carve the project. If there is a thin film of wood at the bottom, run the depth calibration, but add the thickness of the leftover film to the depth of the wood (usually about 0.05"). If the tab is too shallow (it should be about 1/8" tall) run the depth calibration, subtracting the difference of 1/8" from the thickness of the tab.

Hope this helps.

RMarkey
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Here's a pic of the pierce test I described above.

Steven Alford
07-17-2009, 08:22 PM
If there is a thin film of wood at the bottom, run the depth calibration, but add the thickness of the leftover film to the depth of the wood (usually about 0.05").

Guess I should be a software designer, huh!! It would still be nice to know why we should have to do this at all, shouldn't the machine be able to be more accurate than that? It was with the previous versions.

liquidguitars
07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Here's a pic of the pierce test I described above.

Metallus,

Sounds good can you post the small test mpc for us?

lets see if i understand this right as i just did it:

Mill a board thats .75" thick, run the Cal depth program, input .75" turn off unit. Restart unit and run the test mpc.

After running the test mpc inspect the cut it if to shallow let say,.05" Run the Cal depth program but tell the unit the the board is .05 thicker so in this case input .80" and now all the depths will pierce that set bottom location?

LG