PDA

View Full Version : Machine stable at last

rlane10347
07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Wy machine was getting more and more unstable in the z and y axis movement. The z axis would either climb or go down as the carve was being made. The y axis speed was erratic and it would loose its y position at times. There were always some lines at the bottom of the carve region. When I got my ROCK chuck I took out both the z and y servo's. I took the lcover off and checked the encoders. There was some dust but the problem was the hole in the black plastic core of the encoder disk was too big and the encoder was loose on the shaft. Both had moved and was rubbing on the sensor yoke making some black dust. I respectfully disagree with another thread where it was stated that the rubbing was normal and no problem. The encoder disk has a very intricate pattern on it and rubbing will damage it.
I used a small scredriver and pushed the encoder to the center of the yoke opening. With the motor sitting with the encoder up I put a small drop of epoxy in the hole of the encoder core to bond it to the shaft.(make sure to not get any thing on the encoder disk) Now my machine has never been so stable. Even with the rock chuck the erratic y motion would break 1/8 cutters or give clean y rails, y stalls, ETC. The erratic z axis gave stalls and destroyed up alot of good wood.
The ROCK chuck is great I have now done 25 hours of carving with out any problems and the carves were great. I am attaching a picture to show flat bottom.

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Good job fixing the unit. The Black Dust is normal... We all have it... Not sure where it is coming from. I have never taken a Z motor all the way apart to see if there are brushed in there... Must be....

AL