PDA

View Full Version : buying a carve wright?

jaustin
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Is it necessary to buy the Scanning Probe, Carving Bit with Adapter - 1/16" and the Full Carving Bit Set when buying the machine?

should i just buy the carvewright then buy the other stuff later?

AskBud
07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Is it necessary to buy the Scanning Probe, Carving Bit with Adapter - 1/16" and the Full Carving Bit Set when buying the machine?

You will have what you need for basic carving when you purchase the machine. If you want to do "Centerline" text, you will need the 90 and/or 60 degree bit(s) as well. The 1/16" Cutting bit is normally used for cutting very thin stock such as 1/8" or 1/4" material (and other very small cuts), not the "run-of-the-mill" carving(s).

Depending upon where you buy your machine, you may get some cost savings by getting all of what you want/need on one order.
AskBud

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Your choice of course. I bought the Scanning Probe the same day I ordered my machine. Love it. The Bit Set can come in handy if you want to be able to do more advanced projects down the road. Hard call, since you don't know exactly what you'll be doing in the future.

If you are ordering a "package deal" that includes everything, then undoubtedly you'll save a lot of $$ ordering the whole shabang all at once rather than ordering each item one at a time.

FINGERS
07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
If the price is rite for everything go for it, if you think you'll use it all I got the full bit set when I got my machine and only used the V-60 and V-90 any routing to be done I use a table router much faster as far as the scanner do you think you'll use it, $300 will buy a lot of patturns.

Wilbur
07-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I go along with everyone else on this. I have it all and have never used the probe, yet. but may some day. I use my table router other than the CC machine. It is much better for me.
You can do almost everything you want with what comes with the machine but if you can get a good deal, why not.
Everyone does not do things the way I do.

Wilbur

AskBud
07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
If you do buy the Bit Set and Centerline, now, you may be able to "Make" all your Christmas/Birthday/Holiday Gifts with the machine and all the free patterns and MPC's that are available. You will probably save money as well, not to mention the pleasure of giving gifts that you have developed/made yourself.

Also remember to ask about 90/360 days-same-as-cash!

Just a positive thought to help you justify the extra $$ up front.
AskBud

jaustin
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
i thinking about doing the lowes price match with amazon $2,288.25 (for everything)
price match will be $2059 at lowes and see if they will throw in another 10% with a coupon i have.

But right now i am trying to justify spending the money.

anyone know of a better price? I would like to get everything at one time and i do think i would use the probe but not for awhile.

I want to eventually make gun grips and the lithographs.

mtylerfl
07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
i thinking about doing the lowes price match with amazon $2,288.25 (for everything)
price match will be $2059 at lowes and see if they will throw in another 10% with a coupon i have.

But right now i am trying to justify spending the money.

anyone know of a better price? I would like to get everything at one time and i do think i would use the probe but not for awhile.

I want to eventually make gun grips and the lithographs.

As you are shopping around, you might also want to consider purchasing from Jason at Little Red Woodshop. Price on the whole package is listed at $2299.99 and free shipping. Service after the sale by Jason himself is excellent by all accounts. Here is a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.wix.com/littleredwoodshop/lrw