PDA

View Full Version : Repairing meshes (closing shells) Help?

Dhaffner
07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Any advice on where to begin learning about mesh repair would be great. I'm trying, for example, to take a 3d model of a proton pack from ghostbusters and carve it....I can seperate the individual elements in sketchup for an easier carve..but those elements are then incomplete.

What I need to learn to do is close up "holes" that cause an object to not be solid (the object looks like a vacuum pull in that it is hollow with an opening on one side. I need to fix the mesh to enclose the object completely.

In many cases these "holes" are large enough that the generic "hole repair" solutions that come with some filters won't do it.

Can any of you 3D model experts point me in the right direction?
Thanks

sk8nmike
07-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Most like you don't have all your loops closed. When you broke the opject away from the main model you broke connected lines, you will need to close these lines again to make the model solid. A 2D box has 4 connected lines, a 3D box has 6 and each of them is connected to 2 other lines.

www.go3d.us
07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Depend on what software you are using there should be a "cape hole" option for closing an open face/polygon on a mesh object. There also "weld" or "fuse" vertex to close the mesh.

Hope this help.
HT