PDA

View Full Version : Routing Shapes

ETAP6
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Just wondering if the carvewright will allow you to rout out complete objects, example a star or letters? Can you take a 1/4 x 4 x 15 piece of material rout out 4 objects?

Thanks 8)

renklint
03-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Just wondering if the carvewright will allow you to rout out complete objects, example a star or letters? Can you take a 1/4 x 4 x 15 piece of material rout out 4 objects?

Yes, this is possible. I use the trial software since I don't have the machine. This is done with the software.
http://renklint.mypicgallery.com/woodwork/4arrows_large.jpg

The way I understand it, the carvewright will rout out the objects but leave small tabs around them so they won't come lose and damage the machine.

/Lars

lpcsales
03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
So far I've not been able to assign a cutpath to anything but a circle or rectangle, so in your example above, you would have to assign a cutter bit and depth to make the cutout...which will cause the parts to become loose in the machine. Scary!

You could break the vectors up at various points around the object and get a similar effect as the cutpath.

I don't know why they won't let you do a cutpath to simple vectors. Maybe it's an oversight in the programming

renklint
03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
So far I've not been able to assign a cutpath to anything but a circle or rectangle, so in your example above, you would have to assign a cutter bit and depth to make the cutout

Hi Dave, I don't really follow you. Do you mean that the machine won't cut the path even though you have choosed the "cut path" in your project? In the example above I just took the "connected lines" tool and made the drawing. Since the beginning and end of the path is closed you can select the "cut path" option.

/Lars

lpcsales
03-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Sorry, i misunderstood. Yes, you can assign a cutpath to 'closed' vectors. A single vector though, cannot have a cutpath.

Dave

cmorlier
03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
You can also create cut paths on vectors that start and end on the edges of a board. To see this, draw a vector path (lines, splines, etc) then move both of the end points just off the board. The cut path icon should become active and you will be able to apply the cut.

Matty
03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
you would have to assign a cutter bit and depth to make the cutout...which will cause the parts to become loose in the machine. Scary!

I did cut a object as above, the problem was not so much that
the object came loose, but the machine continued to cut deeper until the
bit cut into the bottom of the machine. I informed CarveWright and they are
trying to find out why it did that, I have sent them the project file.
Eric from CarveWright told me that the best way to actually
cut a path out is by using the cut path tool. It should be the icon with the handsaw.
Or you can access it through the tools menu.