PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Probe Problem

Woodhacker
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone...first post here...usually am over on the Techniques forum.

Here's my problem: I put my item to scan on the sled I built. Put it in the machine. Put probe into machine. Turn machine on and "acrea scan" pops up in the window. Hit "enter" and machine homes. Get message: "Put in board". Weeeeeeeeeeeeellllll, the board is already in there. So, turn on compressor and blow out inside of machine (nothing in there cuz I blow it out every time I use it). Turn machine back on and the same thing happens again. I know I have a lot to learn about this machine and I have spent the better part of a year playing with the software, watching tutorials, and downloading PDF's on just about everything. This has me stumped...:confused:
Anyone got any ideas??? Any help appreciated. I think the probe will be a really accessory if I can just the thing to work.

Thanx again.....

Ricahrd

cnsranch
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Richard

If you haven't already, check out the video on the probe located here...

http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2009, 01:12 PM
For the machine to think you do not have a board in the machine it looks at the rollers to see that they are compressed.

Use options and look at the sensor data and rollers first and see what it tells you.

Do you have the new Z or OLD Z? If you have the new Z you don't plug the probe into the Z Truck, you plug it in the left inside jack.

If you had the new Z installed recently it comes up in scan area and won't move from that. You need to go into setup and change it from Truck to cover for probe source.

Just covering a bunch of areas as you did not post much detail.

You can use sensor data to read the probe on off state by touching the probe.

Let us know,

AL

Woodhacker
07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
For the machine to think you do not have a board in the machine it looks at the rollers to see that they are compressed.
Use options and look at the sensor data and rollers first and see what it tells you.
Haven't looked into the options for that particular sensor data...will do that. One thing to note...when I do a carve, there is no problem with the sensor seeing the board...just when I try to scan.

Do you have the new Z or OLD Z? If you have the new Z you don't plug the probe into the Z Truck, you plug it in the left inside jack.
If you had the new Z installed recently it comes up in scan area and won't move from that. You need to go into setup and change it from Truck to cover for probe source.
I have the new Z. Probe is plugged into the left side of machine and sensor says that is where it is located.

[I]You can use sensor data to read the probe on off state by touching the probe.[/
Probe reads open when I check it in the sensor data and no amount of wiggling it back and forth makes it change to closed.... or vice versa LOL

I just may have a bum scanning probe. But, :mrgreen:, it is brand new and still under warranty!!!

Thanx for all the help and suggestions from everyone.

Richard

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Good Job troubleshooting and answering questions.

The probes have been known to have open or broken solder joints inside the probe.

I would try a ohm meter test or continuity test of the probe. It is just a glorified switch.... Might have a diode in it.

AL

rjustice
07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Good Job troubleshooting and answering questions.

The probes have been known to have open or broken solder joints inside the probe.

I would try a ohm meter test or continuity test of the probe. It is just a glorified switch.... Might have a diode in it.

AL

no diodes, just simple "points" style contacts... ohm meter will check it. and if you decide to take it apart, be sure to clean the contacts with alcohol, as your fingerprints will cause it to malfunction (ask me how i know :) )

want2b
07-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Had a similar problem with mine, traced a lot of the cabling and made this PDF. Hope it helps, as suggested above I used an Ohmmeter to validate the open/closed state. Started with the probe, then added the extension cable and then into the machine cabling. Hope it helps.
Rick H.
-tried to post this yesterday but somehow managed to put it in the troubleshooting sticky, sleep-posting again ?

rjustice
07-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Had a similar problem with mine, traced a lot of the cabling and made this PDF. Hope it helps, as suggested above I used an Ohmmeter to validate the open/closed state. Started with the probe, then added the extension cable and then into the machine cabling. Hope it helps.
Rick H.
-tried to post this yesterday but somehow managed to put it in the troubleshooting sticky, sleep-posting again ?

Nice job Rick!... I found this very easy to follow and right on point!

Happy Carving!

Ron

pkunk
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
no diodes, just simple "points" style contacts... ohm meter will check it. and if you decide to take it apart, be sure to clean the contacts with alcohol, as your fingerprints will cause it to malfunction (ask me how i know :) )
OK, I'll ask. Did you take my probe apart and stick the points?

rjustice
07-13-2009, 06:30 AM
OK, I'll ask. Did you take my probe apart and stick the points?

Hi Paul,
While I had it apart for inspection, i did wipe the contacts off with my fingers, put it back together, and it behaved poorly. I then took it back apart and cleaned the "fingerprint oil" off with alcohol on a Q-tip, and avoided touching them, then eveything was fine after that. I havent forgot your graciousness in loaning me your probe for inspection... I do appreciate it, and while i thought the subject was dead from the "glue-tip" solution... it sounds like there are enough people interested that i am working on the project again.

Thanks again!

Ron

want2b
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Thx Ron,
I was lucky in that I didn't have to dismantle my probe. Chased the problem into the machine, guess I was lucky in that I had bought mine through Sears and got the extended warranty. Initial indications were the problem was caused by changing out the Z truck. I gave up once I could prove the problem down to the contoller board as far as physical wiring. Sent it back to Sears, they replaced the controller and other items they deemed bad. My machine is 2 1/2 years old and I have to admit my extended warranty has paid for itself.
Good luck,
Rick H.

rjustice
07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Thx Ron,
I was lucky in that I didn't have to dismantle my probe. Chased the problem into the machine, guess I was lucky in that I had bought mine through Sears and got the extended warranty. Initial indications were the problem was caused by changing out the Z truck. I gave up once I could prove the problem down to the contoller board as far as physical wiring. Sent it back to Sears, they replaced the controller and other items they deemed bad. My machine is 2 1/2 years old and I have to admit my extended warranty has paid for itself.
Good luck,
Rick H.

Im sure the warranty is a good move.... it wasnt available back when i got my machine, some could get it, some couldnt... i couldnt get them to sell it to me...LOL, at least it is resolved now, and they are honoring it!

Good luck with the machine and probe when they get back!

Ron