PDA

View Full Version : Sharing STL files

bergerud
07-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Are we going to be able to share .stl files in this forum? File sizes can get large. I tried to upload an stl and I get "invalid file". .stl needs to be added to the attachment file types and the allowed size should be in the megabytes. For example, my Miss Curvewright figurine is a 3.5 meg stl so even if zipped, the file would be to big.

liquidguitars
07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
could be better just to make it a linked file on a remote file server or website..

LG

cnsranch
07-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Has anyone figured out yet how big of an stl file Designer will allow to be uploaded?

atauer
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Jerry,

I don't think that there is a limit. I myself have imported files up to 24 mb in size without an issue. I don't have any larger than 24 mb, so I don't know about anything over that.

cnsranch
07-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks, Alex - I was concerned because some of the STL's I've played with from the 'net are huge, and was afraid they wouldn't upload into Designer.

Chief38
07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I,ve tried some test with some of my poser models going through hexagon 2,1 and some have been over 31meg and imported well.

Herb

Dhaffner
07-10-2009, 11:10 AM
This is just an opinion, but instead of sharing .stl files, why not share the final "sliced" pattern/project from Designer? It's much smaller and saves the time of us all having to figure out a slicing strategy. If you want to do your own slicing, then have a link to the raw .stl....just a suggestion.

mostlycold
07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
This is just an opinion, but instead of sharing .stl files, why not share the final "sliced" pattern/project from Designer? It's much smaller and saves the time of us all having to figure out a slicing strategy. If you want to do your own slicing, then have a link to the raw .stl....just a suggestion.

Would really like someone to explain slicing strategy in plain stupid for me............?? Maybe Bud will have a tutorial out soon that will be directed at us mere mortals that bought this software (and don't have a career as a CNC engineer).

mtylerfl
07-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Would really like someone to explain slicing strategy in plain stupid for me............?? Maybe Bud will have a tutorial out soon that will be directed at us mere mortals that bought this software (and don't have a career as a CNC engineer).

Take a look at the STL video tutorials (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/STLimporter) - they do a pretty good job of explaining the overall slicing procedure and more.

BTW, it all depends upon a particular STL model that determines the best slicing strategy for a given model - nobody can explain each and every variable. That's something you will need to figure out on your own on a case-by-case basis with each model. "One size" (or one strategy) does not fit all!;)

hotpop
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
mostlycold

STL Files are created with 3-D software. Objects are created with X, Y and Z dimensions. With the STL Importer you can scale the object and slice it. You then carve each slice with the CW. Then glue the pieces together to recreate the 3-D object. I included a couple views of a 3-D object created with SolidWorks software.

The bowl will be sliced in 3/4" thick pieces from the top to the bottom then glued.