PDA

View Full Version : Attachment parameter

azunino
03-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Is there a way to alter the "attachment" parameter of an object so that it does not attach to the centerlines of the project board? What I am trying to do is resize my board without having objects move around. If I resize a board with objects on it, anything anchored to the left side, or bottom of the board stays in the same position. Items anchored to the centerlines will move based on what dimension of the board has changed. I tried the remove attachment option, but that did not appear to have any effect.

The particular project I am working on is cutting out a series of different shapes. For this particular application it would be great if the attachment points were relative to the left and bottom sides of the board, so that resizing the board would not have any affect on their position.

azunino
03-20-2006, 12:42 AM
After trying various ways to get around the problem of individual pieces moving when I resize the board, I have come across a workaround.

If I select all the elements (CTRL-A, and copy them (CTRL-C) and then create a new project with the new board dimensions and and paste them (CTRL-V) into the new project. It appears at this point that each object is keeping its relative position to each other.

Now I can resize the board and not worry about having to reposition individual elements. Just in case anyone else runs into the problem of setting their board size too small..........

yenne
03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
When a board is resized, all fixed attachments will be resolved and their carvings repositioned in order to continue to satisfy the constraint. This is by design. You should be able to remove all the attachments prior to resizing the board (not after) if you would like the carvings to stay in place.

azunino
03-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Hello Britt,

When I tried this the other night I did remove the attachments prior to resizing the board. I agree it would make no sense to do it afterwards. What I had done though is just remove the attachments to the centerlines, leaving the left and bottom attachments intact. Some of the objects moved.

After reading your response, I went back and removed the attachments from ALL of my objects. Now everything does appear to remain grouped together relative to each other. This is what I was after. Thanks Britt!!