PDA

View Full Version : HOT flex shaft

jab73180
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
my flex shaft is reaching temps of 200 degrees. i have been lubricating it with a grease that has moly in it. i am guessing that the grease is not the thing to use for this occasion. i am not sure if it is undergreased or overgreased. maybe im not putting enough on, i have read on here that overgreasing is as bad as undergreasing. there is a fine line but where is it. if someone could just give me a lil insight as to whether the spray is better or if someone is using more of a grease lubricant and having good results.

-Jason

GrammaPam
07-10-2009, 12:17 AM
You are probably done for this eveing but I would advise spraying it good and putting it in a 2 gallon platic zip lock bag (if you are lucky enough to have one, but then, if you have a Carvewright you're lucky enough) in the morning hang it up somewhere to drip all day. Then wipe it gently. You want the lubrication inside the core. Make sure the core engages the cutting motor when you reinsert it in the shaft. If it still overheats you need a new flex shaft. One of my machines came with a bad flexshaft and I had to replace it right away. My first machine just never even seems to need lubrication but I do think it is developing a Z motor or wiring problem as I'm starting to get that dreaded "Close Cover" message frequently. In over a year I haven't had enough problems to be very secure with fixing them. (I don't really want to if I can help it).
Good luck, let us know how you do
G.P.

Jeff_Birt
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Grease is definitely not the best thing to use. I would suspect that the particular type you are using is thick and it never liquefies enough to penetrate into the wraps of the core.

The chain lube with moly that CW recommends does a very good job but don't over do it. To much lube is as bad as not enough. The excess will run down in the 'top hat' or motor end and mess up the bearings. Been there done that have the T-shirt.

Since replacing my ruined top bearing more than a year ago I have not relubed the flex shaft since. The chain lube really lasts. Chris Alb uses a Cram Cams engine assembly lube as I recall and has had no issues at all with it.

Kenm810
07-10-2009, 08:53 AM
This is what they both Look Like on the store shelf.

jab73180
07-10-2009, 08:58 AM
thanx ken most helpful, i doubt we have any of the crane cams A.L. around here unless we order it, but the chain lube someone must have between the auto parts stores and the many atv/cycle shops we have around. i saw a post on here maybe from AL (who) about cleaning the shaft housing with a gun brush to remove any crud thats in there. i will take and clean everything real well and lubricate with the correct stuff before my shaft blows apart. i havnt had any long carves yet so i dont think i hurt the shaft or the spring.

cnsranch
07-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I ordered my CraneCams thru Napa - they had to bring it in from distribution, but it was in in two days.

You have a BIG problem if you're getting to 200 degrees - make sure the spring is inside the flexshaft.

Don't let it get above "mildly warm" - you'll melt the sucker, and have to buy a new one.

FWIW, I couldn't get the chain lube with moly to keep mine cool, I lubed the shaft once with the CraneCams, and with over 100 hours on it, the shaft doesn't warm up AT ALL.

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
It was someone else with the gun rod, but good idea....

You need the spray can lube with Molly to soak into the cable. Grease will not soak in and you may have already damaged the inside of the core already.

Just remember that over lube can get into the top spindle bearing and cause a failure. Wipe the core off or let is sit out overnight.

AL

jab73180
07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
thanx everyone you guys are most helpfull im going to carquest later

Kenm810
07-10-2009, 09:43 AM
At one time it recommended you lube the flex-shaft ever 20 to 40 hours of cut motor time,
but some folks have increased that time frame considerable.
I’ve never had a hot spot on the Shaft or a temperature above the low 90s.
I closely monitor the Flex-Shaft, Truck Bearings, Carving Head, Bits and Adapters,
plus any other moving parts in the Machine with a hand held Infrared Thermometer.
I believe each machine has its own operating temperature characteristics,
so some just naturally run a little cooler or warmer the others.
I always expect and fined the temperatures to run at least 10 to 15 degrees above the temperature in my shop.
Like many other folks, I judge the basic temperature by a common sense role of thumb,
if the Flex-Shaft feels just warm to the touch, its fine.
But if it feels hot in any spot or uncomfortably hot to the touch in general,
then it may well be time to clean and lubricate it. ---- Just My Way.

jab73180
07-10-2009, 04:10 PM
got my chain lube, had to go to a local VIP to get it. get it on tomorrow and carve away and feel the coolness.