PDA

View Full Version : Fender Strat Guitar Neck Pattern

BigShred
07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Does anyone have a pattern that they either made or scanned with the probe that they'd be willing to share with me? I'm willing to pay as long as its a reasonable price worth your time and effort.

I prefer a CBS headstock, but I'm open. Even if I can't get a Strat guitar neck pattern, I'm open to other neck patterns as well like an LP, PRS or Wizard contour, etc.

By the way this is for a REAL neck, not a decorative design of one :)

Thanks!

ibanez270
07-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi BigShred,
Good luck with that one. I've been looking for over a year.
everyone will say LG would be the man to ask. anyway good luck with your quest.

James RS
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/fenderish_designs.htm

I found this site and this if it's any help

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/jwells393/Neck%20Building/StratNeckBlueprint.jpg

liquidguitars
07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
After about two years I have most of the major models programed for the Carvewright like the Telecaster, Les Paul and Strat guitars accurate to about 10 thousands "what ever the carvewright is" neck frets body fingerboards..

At one time I was in talks about how I could include the Strat MPCs " body and neck" on a CD but I having no idea of the units sold and selling only one or two a year seems un fruitful to me.

I was thinking about releasing a Strat pickgard pattern MPC on my site to test the desire if any.

Currently i am working on the "Bluesmaster" guitar " that will accept the Les Paul necks i build.

LG

BigShred
07-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for your replies, guys. I've got the 3d probe and an extra Fender CBS Strat neck laying around I could scan. From reading the forums it appears to be a daunting task.

I'm not looking to become a luthier. Just trying to build guitars to my specs without shelling $2,000 to Warmoth to do it.

Any tips, hints or tricks on how I can get this done are welcome.

kenerv1
07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
After about two years I have most of the major models programed for the Carvewright like the Telecaster, Les Paul and Strat guitars accurate to about 10 thousands "what ever the carvewright is" neck frets body fingerboards..

At one time I was in talks about how I could include the Strat MPCs " body and neck" on a CD but I having no idea of the units sold and selling only one or two a year seems un fruitful to me.

I was thinking about releasing a Strat pickgard pattern MPC on my site to test the desire if any.

Currently i am working on the "Bluesmaster" guitar " that will accept the Les Paul necks i build.

LG

As I mentioned in a CWF direct message to you (LG) about a week ago, I am at least one who is hugely interested in purchasing your patterns. Please make the cd a priority. I'm dying here.

Thanks
kenerv1

dholzric
07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm trying to get one to work now. I'll post it if it is good.

BigShred
07-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm trying to get one to work now. I'll post it if it is good.

Looking forward to it, dholzric :) Any electric guitar neck with good playability and action would work. I've got a nice piece of flame maple that I'd like to eventually cut into after some successful tests with a decent pattern.

Keep us posted and thanks!

usd5000000
07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
LG, I would pay you for the neck patterns. Having the matching neck pocket "model" would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Jeff

BigShred
07-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't believe LG is interested in selling his patterns, so no point in cluttering the threads asking him.

James RS
07-24-2009, 03:42 AM
I don't even know if this would help you guys out but http://www.cncguitar.org:7171/index.htm

liquidguitars
07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I don't believe LG is interested in selling his patterns, so no point in cluttering the threads asking him.

Its more of a numbers game to me, according to this thread we have 3 people that would be thinking about getting a guitar MPC.. :
so you can see it not going to be a money tree.

LG

kenerv1
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
LG.
Just judging from chatter on several CNC and Guitar building sites about guitar building with both Carvewright and other CNC machines, I wonder if you may be underestimating the potential market for good .STL guitar files. I know from building both by hand and with Carvewright, that creating good .STL files is by far the most demanding part of building, and calls for really expensive 3D software that few of us have. Ready to go STL files should be greatly valued.

I don't know if there are copyright/patent issues involved here or not, but I expect you are well versed in that area.

Just a thought.

robbrigg2
07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey LG

Every one that asks the question represents many others that do not. I for one have a desire for the file as well but just decided to write when I saw your last post. There are no doubt a bunch of people out there that want it but don't take the time to write. Just something to think about. For me the price would be the decission maker.

kenerv1
07-24-2009, 10:06 AM
LG:

I should have mentioned (the obious) that you (LG) have a great reputation for knowing what you are talking about, and what you are doing, both in CNC and in general guitar knowlege. In addition you are well known on several sites, not just here. The word would get around very quickly if Liquid Guitar STL files were available.

We here, would certainly spread the word.

Another thought.

mtylerfl
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
If I knew anything about guitar building at all, you bet your life I would be making guitar projects right and left!

The market for that would be huge and would be a tremendous source of income. Over the last two years or so, I'll bet CarveBuddy has had, I'm guessing, a couple hundred requests for guitar patterns/projects. Anyway, it is a LOT! I also believe that having guitar projects available would sell a lot of CarveWright machines for that reason alone!!

I do have a few friends who are guitar players, but I do not know anyone who is a guitar builder with whom I could consult - I hesitate to even try such a task not having a "clue" about the in-and-outs of the art.

At the moment, each user is on his or her own to figure it all out for themselves. I predict that someone, somewhere will recognize the true potential for providing guitar building projects for the CW and corner the market!

geekviking
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM
would be very interested in building guitars, if the costs were reasonable as a hobby... :)

chebytrk
07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I too am very curious to see what guitar .mpc's would cost. I'd love to make a guitar for my long time friend who's the lead guitar player for Trace Adkins. I told him that if I ever learned how to do it, that I'd surely make him one. He and I still have our ol' Silvertone guitars that we both learned on as kids. Sure wish I would have stayed on the guitar learning, but my road took me in to the military. He (Brian) stayed at it and has played in a few different bands. He even replaced Stevie Ray Vaughn when he left STOMP in Austin. Anyway.......... if the price is right I too would seriously consider buying a guitar .mpc.

onehundredmph
07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey LG

Every one that asks the question represents many others that do not. I for one have a desire for the file as well but just decided to write when I saw your last post. There are no doubt a bunch of people out there that want it but don't take the time to write. Just something to think about. For me the price would be the decission maker.

i'm one of those people. the silent majority. i say, i say NO MORE!

aside from the dramatics...

i would agree there's a larger market for this than one might think.
myself and luthier friends of mine just don't posess the technical know-how with the design software. however when talking about the possibilities we start to salivate. it gets gross.

i myself do have a carvewright, but i haven't used it for anything guitar related other than making humbucker rings (that oddly enough i downloaded from liquidguitars.com wattayaknow).

in my experience it's the lack of knowing how to really use the software that has prevented a lot of luthiers from purchasing a carvewright. i know how to build a mean guitar, if i do say so myself, but i do NOT know how to translate the software to what i hold in my hands. i would jump at the chance to purchase some of those files. literally jump. literally.

of course price is a factor, but on a lot of forums i've seen, people never seem to be happy with a price set by someone who has made a file or something similar that they really desired. i for one understand the work that goes into making the designs, and the potential gain for someone using them.

that said, i would definitely definitely (definitely) be interested in purchasing files such as these. and by "interested" i mean "playing it cool to seem aloof". if you decide to make them available, you've got yourself a customer.

p.s. yes i did register at these forums just to post this. shame be damned.

mtylerfl
07-24-2009, 07:15 PM
I think guitar projects that utilize the CW in a practical way will be very popular. It's sort of a "you build it - they will come" situation.

Certain detailed tooling could still be performed the traditional way, such as some fine inlay work and cutting skinny fret grooves, but even that could be probably be facilitated using the CarveWright with a special bit from Ron Justice, I imagine.

Combining the know-how from a skilled luthier with someone who is skilled in CW pattern-making would be a dream come true for many, I'm sure.

Dhaffner
07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Well, just to add my two bits...I've had about 3 friends (after seeing all the carving I've done with the machine) ask about doing guitar bodies for them. Now, to be honest, I haven't gotten into asking what they'd expect to pay...but the desire is certainly there for it here.

BigShred
07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, I'm also working on one by scanning a CBS Strat neck with the 3d probe. I surmise it is going to be a VERY long process since I am a beginner, but once it is done I will post it for free.

Wish me luck.

PCW
07-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Here is a interested clip showing the layout in Rhino CAD laying out a solid body guitar. First 1/3 of the clip is dedicated to Cad work and the rest is writing Gcode. Worth a couple of minutes time.
http://www.k2cnc.com/videos/GuitarProjectwithCallouts/GuitarProjectwithCallouts.html

BigShred
07-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Here is a interested clip showing the layout in Rhino CAD laying out a solid body guitar. First 1/3 of the clip is dedicated to Cad work and the rest is writing Gcode. Worth a couple of minutes time.
http://www.k2cnc.com/videos/GuitarProjectwithCallouts/GuitarProjectwithCallouts.html

That's really interesting, but not sure how relevant it is to the Carvewright.

PCW
07-25-2009, 07:14 AM
BigShred

I just thought it was pretty cool and shows what someone with the right skills can do. I only wish I was that proficient in the design end.

Shows the basic concept in laying out the project. They make it look pretty easy and there is nothing that couldn't be done in Designer.

Brandon (LG)

I think you should jump on this. It would be good for you as well as Carvewright owners and makers.:grin:

HighTechOkie
07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I suspect Brandon has already made quite the name for himself for those looking for custom guitars and violins. His 3D modeling skills give him what is known in the business world as competitive advantage. If he started selling just the patterns, then he allows any half-wit with $2k to buy a CW and set up shop selling similar guitars. I'm in no way saying the quality would be the same, but it does remove alot of the artistry of luthering.

If a person is serious about building a guitar on the CW, they will learn the tools needed to build a model or pay someone to do it for them. Personally, I find it rude to ask a guy who's business is guitars to sell what basically amounts to his trade secret(s).

Rob

PCW
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Quote LG

Hi Rob,

He doesn't have to sell all of his patterns or secrets maybe just some he doesn't use that much or no longer builds. His woodworking skills can not be bought. I think if he can gain enough interest to make it worth it why not.:D

HighTechOkie
07-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I thought one of the main reasons for getting into woodworking in general was the joy and satisfaction of creating something yourself?

I had seen Brandon say that before. It takes a couple minutes to burn a file to CD and slap a pretty label on it. LHR has had the Pattern Depot for a couple years now. Seems like what Brandon really meant was he isn't going to waste his time to whore out his digital files for cheap. He's having too much fun doing what he loves and doesn't want to waste his time with a bunch of "me too" copycats.

I have yet to see a single person ask for help with creating their model. I just see a bunch of people asking for a complete model without even attempting it themselves. I guess my gripe is with those that are not even willing to try on their own first.

Asking for a fish is one thing, asking how to fish is another.

Rob

kenerv1
07-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey Tech, ...you, quite properly, reprise an old and interesting issue. I hope this doesn't come off like a sermon, but here is how I look at it.

First I have, and am building my own guitars, (actually EB-2d bass currently), further....

We each make choices about what we build and what we buy, and what we consider art or profit or both. Some choose to make their own handplanes, forge their own chisels, or grow their own trees. Some eschew the use of other's blueprints. Some mill their own bridges and wind their own pickups. There is art and skill in all aspects of creation, none of us can do it all; and we all stand on others' shoulders. The actual rough physical cutout and shaping of a body and neck to match a blueprint are fulfilling to some, and an investment of time better spent elsewhere to others.

If anyone thinks that a "Liquid Guitars quality" finished guitar will fall out of a new Carvewright machine, even using the very best input file, they will be sorely disappointed. Serious work and skill still follow.

LG himself first circulated the idea of making his remarkable skills available to others on his website and he has stated here that his decision is a matter of potential sales numbers and price, not one of trade secrets. We are simply trying to make some information available to him, about how many of us would be happy to pay, so he can better judge if it is in his interest to proceed. No one expects him to give anything away, or harm his own earning power.

There is (human) no art so pure that decisions about allocation of resources can be ignored. e.g. this quote re the Sistine Chapel Ceiling...

"In fact Michelangelo was not happy about the huge work to be done (over 300 hundred square metres to be painted) because he considered himself a sculpture and not a painter plus the fact that it would take all of his time, preventing him from doing other work that he considered more important, a monument of Julius II." http://www.virtual-vatican-museums.com/sistine-chapel-michelangelo.phtml

If you suspect I am (at least was) an economist?...guilty.

Best
Ken

pine acres woodshop
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Would there be any interest in body styles such as these?

ibanez270
07-25-2009, 11:51 AM
They look good do you have dimensions and scale of the strat looking one?

onehundredmph
07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
tech does have some points, however that's just assuming everybody interested in these is lazy, has no idea about guitar construction, and just wants to be able to press a button on a machine and have a guitar pop out the other side.

which is not the case.

plenty of us know exactly what we're doing in luthiere. the carvewright presents us with what i naively assume it must feel like to switch from a corkscrew to a power drill. my interest in these sorts of files are more for the carved top body styles and mortoise and tennon gibson style necks. i've done the work for a few years now. shaving chunks out of a mortoise the thickness of a hair with a chisel for so long i start to think a better place for the chisel would be lodged firmly in my brain. carving tops with a flap wheel is akin to carving it with a chainsaw, and as fulfilling as it may have previously been to carve a top with a finger plane and a set of rasps, now it feels like a slow descent into madness. there are still hours upon hours of sanding, fretwork, finishing, wiring, etc. plenty of opportunities to think you've messed it up beyond help, and to want to chunk yourself in the face with the guitar the second it's completed.

the legwork in making a guitar is not taken away, just simplified. LG doesn't make fantastic guitars because of the carvewright, he makes them because he knows what he's doing. the carvewright assists in that, but by no means is it responsible.

as stated, the decision to sell these files is a numbers game, which is absolutely totally understandable, because hey what isn't? LG have you considered instead of printing a book to go along with it, as a cost cutting measure making the whole project available as a sort of e-book, that those who purchase could print themselves? an emailable zip file of a pdf document containing the written portion, and a set of MPC files along with it takes shipping and printing costs out of the equation.

BigShred
07-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I was trying to be polite and refrain from commenting on this but I, personally, find it untenable that anyone should be threatened by helping Carverwright users make a Strat body or neck. They didn't invent the Strat design. They are not the only ones who make Strat shaped bodies and necks. The bodies and necks can be had on eBay for a paltry $50 a piece.

We are not trying to mass produce these items. We are trying to use it for what we BOUGHT the Carvewright for: TO ENGAGE IN OUR HOBBY. That is to A) Make challenging pieces with the Carvewright machine and 2) As musicians, get a sense of fulfillment to play an instrument we forged.

Even if we WERE to mass produce these parts (which the Carvewright won't do ANYWAY), neither us, nor the person who feels threatened, can even possibly threaten FENDER (the company I worked for recently in Scottsdale, AZ and Corona, CA).

Mass producing these bodies and necks is not even profitable, so if anyone has that impression then lose it right now.

So, please don't pontificate about how we are a bunch of "me too" lazy bums who don't want to work for anything and how its so "rude" to politely ask someone for some assistance (LG has never said this so this is not addressed to him. It is addressed to the actual "me too" who took it upon himself to defend him with arguments that I find to be illegitimate). Have you ever heard of Open Source? There are scores of technological innovations out there that the authors could have made literally MILLIONS on, but to support the technology community at large they have always made them free.

Not everything is about money. I have no intent to make money off of my peers in this forum. If I am successful in making these guitar designs they will be for free for everyone to enjoy so that they can get the same sense of fulfillment from their Carvewright purchase as I would. I, frankly, don't care how much money anyone loses or makes. If you're making money off of making Strats on the Carvewright, then with all due respect, it needs to have an approved license from Fender before that is even legal (unless you modify the body). To quote Fender's legal counsel, Mark Van Vleet:

"On the internet, whether you're a guy in a garage or a big company, infringers can reach many more consumers than brick-and-mortar retailers ever could. We need to protect our intellectual property from these people."

I mean no offense, and intended to refrain from addressing this head on, but I had to express my opinion in the face of being accused of being a lazy "me too" who doesn't want to work for anything. I have invested WAY TOO MANY hours to accept that.

Thank you.

I thought one of the main reasons for getting into woodworking in general was the joy and satisfaction of creating something yourself?

I had seen Brandon say that before. It takes a couple minutes to burn a file to CD and slap a pretty label on it. LHR has had the Pattern Depot for a couple years now. Seems like what Brandon really meant was he isn't going to waste his time to whore out his digital files for cheap. He's having too much fun doing what he loves and doesn't want to waste his time with a bunch of "me too" copycats.

I have yet to see a single person ask for help with creating their model. I just see a bunch of people asking for a complete model without even attempting it themselves. I guess my gripe is with those that are not even willing to try on their own first.

Asking for a fish is one thing, asking how to fish is another.

Rob

BigShred
07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
I wanted to clarify that I was in no way attacking LG, as everyone knows his contributions on the forum have been tremendous. He's always helpful in all areas of working with the Carvewright and not just guitar making. Ultimately, LG withholding his designs is his right. He has earned that right with all the work he put into it.

I just didn't like the suggestion that we wanted a free handout without doing any work. Even if you're given a pattern or design file, there is quite a bit of work involved since the Carvewright isn't going to give you a perfect 2000 grit wet sanded guitar body or neck. There's a lot of trial and error and effort involved. Nonetheless, no one is asking for a free handout either way.

drwatkins
07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
This all seems a little silly and I shouldn't even be perpetuating it with a post but what the heck, here goes. Shame on all of us for using this devil machine to copy other peoples hard work. To quote Skynard, we should "throw them to the bottom of the sea"! Folks, there is not a living soul that has not copied something that someone else first worked to "perfect". My CC is running right now carving some crownmolding to go in my living room. Every pattern on it was made by someone else but the layout is mine doggone it! Well sorta, I am setting it up to resemble the woodland scene on the ceiling fan in the room. Some of the patterns came from carvewright and I had break out my wallet to use them..shame on LHR for charging me for these as I am sure the bear I have seen elsewhere. My point is; Hightechokie, unless you have deleted all the patterns that came with the designer software, never gained the use of a pattern through the store and never gotten anything from the forums AND everything that you have carved with the machine was 100% your braincell activity then I will stand corrected. Otherwise don't down the man because he wants to use his machine and wants to try to gain back a portion of his investment. I personally love to hear a good guitar but couldn't tell you one from another....iow, they all look the same to me. My guess is fender copied someone. I use the compocarve and I use the chisels, knives and gouges and YES I copy other peoples designs with the knives as well. I guess I'm just lazy and I know I'm not very artistic so I have to trace and paste.

Dan

pine acres woodshop
07-25-2009, 04:44 PM
They look good do you have dimensions and scale of the strat looking one?

The scale on these two are set up for 25 1/2" but they are flexable, if you went with a scale shorter than 25" you might have to move the bridge pick up rout a little bit. The dim. of the strat looking one is roughly 18" long by about 13" wide.

onehundredmph
07-25-2009, 05:55 PM
The scale on these two are set up for 25 1/2" but they are flexable, if you went with a scale shorter than 25" you might have to move the bridge pick up rout a little bit. The dim. of the strat looking one is roughly 18" long by about 13" wide.

what about neck pocket? standard 3"x 2 3/16"?

pine acres woodshop
07-25-2009, 06:52 PM
That is correct 3" x 2 3/16" x 5/8" with a 5" radius on the end of the pocket, so this way some one can purchase a finished neck from Steward Mcdonald. (http://www.stewmac.com/)

musicman
07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Yesterday member James RS posted a web site cncquitar.org about patterns. I emailed him asking if his patterns would work on carvewright/compucarve machine. This is his reply.........

That will depend on their software and whether it has the ability to import industry standard formats like iges, parasolid or .stl (stereo lithography).

Another item which I believe to be true is that their software is proprietary and as such it will make it difficult to import. For that matter I also do not know how capable their modeling tools are since in order to say create something like a carved top Les Paul or prs you would need surfacing tools (like those found in Solidworks or rhino for example)

Another item I would like to point out, is that in order to use the machine for guitars or necks you would need to create a special sled for it. I think a member on cnc zone did this so you might want to search there.

If you have not purchased the machine yet and your primary design goals are guitars, it is not the best choice.

Hope this helped? Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have more questions. Spiro

Because I don't have the knowledge as most of you, I not sure all he is talking about maybe someone else will. Also I to have ask LG about a guitar pattern, to make for my Son-in law who plays ( not as much now with the kids and building his own house. ) thought it would make a great gift. I'm not sure I'll ever be smart enough, still learning. but if I do I will help anyone I can, life is way to short.

Thanks Musican

PCW
07-25-2009, 10:08 PM
musicman,

The .stl (stereo lithography) file would be able to be used with the STL importer that LHR has just release 7/3/09. The bad news is it is a $300.00 software add on. If you go carvewright.com they have some pretty cool video clips showing what you can do with it.

I would love to see more of you luthier posting your strings on the forum. If things don't work out for you I would talk to a member by the name of ChrisAlb he has made patterns for other luthier on the forum. He is a very talented person on the design end of the machine.

If worst comes to worst maybe some of you can pool your money together to have a pattern made and retain the resale rights and resale to other members.:-D I always say where there a will there a way. Good Luck

musicman
07-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't feel I know enough yet to chime in, read a lot now. Also I do not currently make instruments ( hopefully soon ) I was in a local band for 15 yrs except the last 3yrs health reasons.

Thanks
Musicman

earlyrider
07-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Reminds me of "Take the Money and Run", where Woody Allen played the cello in a marching band, "He had no concept of the instrument; he was blowing into it".
Thats akin to my abilities with an instrument!:mrgreen:
Ron

musicman
07-26-2009, 12:25 AM
sorry if I offended anyone. I'll just go back to reading.

Musicman

hogiewan
07-31-2009, 10:10 AM
I am probably going to purchase a CW very soon to rough carve guitar (and other string instrument) parts as well as drums. I would be very interested in files such as those discussed here, just to get used to the machine, the software, and any sleds/jigs needed for the process before carving my own designs.

Can someone point me to some threads on starting with the software or using sleds? I'm also interested in the process needed for carving front and back

cnsranch
07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
hogiewan

You can start with these two steps -

One, go to CW's website, and download all the Tips and Tricks listed there - there's a wealth of info there for you.

Two, go down to post #12 on this thread, click on liquidguitar's name, click on all threads he's posted, and go to town - search thru them all. LG is the authority on guitar/violin making here, and does incredible stuff.

robbrigg2
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Here guys you might find what you want on these sites

http://www.guitarbuild.com/modules/mydownloads/

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/06/08/11-free-guitar-plans-20-guitar-building-jigs-and-35-more-resources-for-newbie-luthiers/

hogiewan
07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
hogiewan

You can start with these two steps -

One, go to CW's website, and download all the Tips and Tricks listed there - there's a wealth of info there for you.

Two, go down to post #12 on this thread, click on liquidguitar's name, click on all threads he's posted, and go to town - search thru them all. LG is the authority on guitar/violin making here, and does incredible stuff.

I've already begun to read some of LG's stuff. He used to have a lot more of this on his site. Setting up and using a sled is the one part of the process I don't quite understand, so if anyone knows a good thread to read, please send me to the right place.

Sorry for the thread hijack

dholzric
08-01-2009, 12:40 PM
LG's posts are very helpful. I"m almost done with a Les Paul body and I carved the neck 2 days ago ) with only minor issues. As soon as i get it assembled and verify that it's right i'll share the patterns for everyone else to use & improve. I've also got a Strat almost done but the neck is a bit off still (dimensions are wrong.)

I've already begun to read some of LG's stuff. He used to have a lot more of this on his site. Setting up and using a sled is the one part of the process I don't quite understand, so if anyone knows a good thread to read, please send me to the right place.

Sorry for the thread hijack

chebytrk
08-01-2009, 01:30 PM
LG's posts are very helpful. I"m almost done with a Les Paul body and I carved the neck 2 days ago ) with only minor issues. As soon as i get it assembled and verify that it's right i'll share the patterns for everyone else to use & improve. I've also got a Strat almost done but the neck is a bit off still (dimensions are wrong.)

Great! Looking forward to it ! :)

kenerv1
08-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Looking forward to it.

ibanez270
08-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes a Les Paul would be awsome thank you

dholzric
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
My chuck just commited suicide half way through the middle body section today. I ordered a rock chuck Friday so I should be back to carving next week if it's not backordered :)

Yes a Les Paul would be awsome thank you

dholzric
08-01-2009, 09:32 PM
They are not finished but go ahead and download them if you want. If you find anything that is incorrrect or that could be improved please share.

The strat body has a couple of holes in the back from the stl import that need to be fixed (not sure why it did that). I have not verified that the cutout for the bridge is correct, everything else seems ok (IE, wouldn't matter if it is off a bit.)

http://sites.google.com/a/holzrichter.com/guitars/les-paul-3d-files

I think you should be able to read/post on my site but I just created it so let me know if you have issues.

ibanez270
08-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks, I downloaded your files.Now I just need to use them.
Thanks again

robbrigg2
08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Thank you soo much for these files. I have always wanted to make my own guitar and now I can!

dholzric
08-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I posted the 3d files for the Les Paul neck and the Strat neck and body on the site. If you have any fixes/enhancements please post them so we can all share.

robbrigg2
08-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Dan, What program opens the .3dm file for the neck?

dholzric
08-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm using Rhino. I can save it in another format if you want. Let me know what you are using.

Dan, What program opens the .3dm file for the neck?

kenerv1
08-02-2009, 07:48 AM
They are not finished but go ahead and download them if you want. If you find anything that is incorrrect or that could be improved please share.

The strat body has a couple of holes in the back from the stl import that need to be fixed (not sure why it did that). I have not verified that the cutout for the bridge is correct, everything else seems ok (IE, wouldn't matter if it is off a bit.)

I think you should be able to read/post on my site but I just created it so let me know if you have issues.

These look great, thanks for the generosity. I hope this is just the start of many more, from many more. I will throw my experiment in when I get it fixed. One question...was there a specific reason you did not add tabs?

BTW No problem with downloads.

Ken (Northern VA)

robbrigg2
08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm using Rhino. I can save it in another format if you want. Let me know what you are using.

THanks Dan, I am going to download the trial verson and give it a shot. I will let you know if I need it in another format. Usually use Blender, AI, Corel Draw, and I am testing AUtoCad.

dholzric
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
No reason. I have been letting it add tabs automatically and it has worked ok.

These look great, thanks for the generosity. I hope this is just the start of many more, from many more. I will throw my experiment in when I get it fixed. One question...was there a specific reason you did not add tabs?

BTW No problem with downloads.

Ken (Northern VA)

dholzric
08-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm posting them in dxf format also. They should all be up in a few minutes

chebytrk
08-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Is it possible to save the neck in a .mpc format? Thanks...

dholzric
08-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, but i don't have it ready yet. I keep running into issues with it. Which neck to you want, Les Paul or Strat?

Is it possible to save the neck in a .mpc format? Thanks...

ibanez270
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
strat please

BigShred
08-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Let's all exercise some patience please. We are fortunate that dholzric has been so generous and literally validated hours of work many of us have put into this.

There's no rush. He's already displayed that he's more than willing to share. He just wants to do some additional work before sharing them.

I'm still working on scanning my CBS Strat neck and will also release those files as soon as its done. I'm still having issues with the sled so if any of you who have scanned large items like a guitar neck using the Carvewright before can help me I'd be much obliged :)

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

dholzric
08-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm happy to share more of what i have but I have done carves of the Strat and Les Paul necks and the mpc's i created from the models have big issues which i am working on. I'll probably have something ready tomorrow but i wont' be able to test for a few days since my machine is down with a bad chuck. I'll post them for anyone else who wants to try them when they are done.

I have downloaded a bunch more models for other guitars but most of them are not ready to slice up. I'll put them online for anyone else who wants them since it's kind of a pain to go through all the other sites looking for them.

-Dan

Let's all exercise some patience please. We are fortunate that dholzric has been so generous and literally validated hours of work many of us have put into this.

There's no rush. He's already displayed that he's more than willing to share. He just wants to do some additional work before sharing them.

I'm still working on scanning my CBS Strat neck and will also release those files as soon as its done. I'm still having issues with the sled so if any of you who have scanned large items like a guitar neck using the Carvewright before can help me I'd be much obliged :)

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

rcdages
08-02-2009, 12:46 PM
General information needed on how to post a photo of a carving I have done.

Would be interested in what you guys think of the carving.

Thank you,
Robert
rcdages

dholzric
08-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I just posted the ptn files for a strat neck which was sliced down the middle (under fingerboard.) Not sure if this is the best place to do it but take a look and see what you think. I'm trying to make a neck with a separate fingerboard rather than a 1 piece. My weld job on the neck slot from the 1 piece pattern leaves a bit to be desired but the neck itself comes out ok. (dimensions may be off. Verify before you ruin any good wood.)

BTW, I'm having issues with the models not being solid, so the inside ptn's may have all kind of problems (since the model may be hollow.) The only think off the inside ptn's we need is the top of the headstock i think which can probably be edited out of the image file with the pattern editor.

http://sites.google.com/a/holzrichter.com/guitars/strat-neck-mpcs

dholzric
08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm still waiting on parts so go ahead and test it out if you have a chance and let me know if it comes out ok. you can probably just carve one side of each slice but make sure to pick the one that is largest since the other one will be flat.

http://sites.google.com/a/holzrichter.com/guitars/les-paul-neck

robbrigg2
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm still waiting on parts so go ahead and test it out if you have a chance and let me know if it comes out ok. you can probably just carve one side of each slice but make sure to pick the one that is largest since the other one will be flat.

http://sites.google.com/a/holzrichter.com/guitars/les-paul-neck

Thanks a bunch

dholzric
08-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I know some of you were having troubles with the pattern files i uploaded. I just fixed the 3 holes on the back of the strat body and uploaded it as a png file. I think you can import it directly into the designer.

onehundredmph
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
anybody know roughly the dimensions of a sled for an LP top? i've been trial and error-ing myself to the madhouse today. oh really? a hair too wide, carvewright? i challenged it to 14 street fights.

dholzric
08-04-2009, 11:42 PM
the top is 13.25 wide i think. I have been running a board that is 14.5" through with no problems (without a sled) but will be running the good wood on a sled that width. As long as the board is centered it doesn't really matter if it is exact since the project board should be less than the sled and you will select the option to center the project. Just make sure you specify the board as barely wider than the project when you make it. (the real board and project board don't have to be the same.)

Dan

liquidguitars
08-05-2009, 12:04 AM
(the real board and project board don't have to be the same.)

If you running sleds , I always will make Designer project and sled the same. Any other way is folly and will end in madness. :)

lets say your body part is 18" you will need 2" extra for indexing and 4" x 2 on the ends for the rollers. total of 10" extra. 18+10 28" long.

For most electrics make Designer and the sled 28" or longer x 14.65" wide x 2" tall.

LG

dholzric
08-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Is this because of when you have to carve the back?

If you running sleds , I always will make Designer project and sled the same. Any other way is folly and will end in madness. :)

lets say your body part is 18" you will need 2" extra for indexing and 4" x 2 on the ends for the rollers. total of 10" extra. 18+10 28" long.

For most electrics make Designer and the sled 28" or longer x 14.65" wide x 2" tall.

LG

liquidguitars
08-05-2009, 12:33 AM
yes, also lets you see your sleds layout in designer for 1:1 relationship. "very important"

LG

pine acres woodshop
08-05-2009, 05:21 AM
I make two types of body styles, a solid body which I don't use a sled on but I screw wood extensions to each end of the body wood, it saves money and uses less wood this way. The extensions are the same thickness and width as the body wood, this one I can flip for carving on the back side if needed. The second is a two piece, separate top and back, the back on this one I do not use the machine for it, it takes to long. For the top I use a sled, I make the guitar top and sled the same width. I only use the machine for carving the arch on the tops most of the time, I made templates on the machine so I could use a router to do all the bull work, routing pick ups, neck pocket, stuff like that, it's a lot quicker plus less room for error, I've seen this machine screw up some nice wood. Good luck on your building.

liquidguitars
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I made templates on the machine so I could use a router to do all the bull work, routing pick ups, neck pocket, stuff like that, it's a lot quicker plus less room for error, I've seen this machine screw up some nice wood. Good luck on your building.

The CW has made a ton of parts so I have to disagree for my thinking the idea is to use the CW as much as possable even for the inlays and frets, I try not to use the hand router at all. My 3 hp router and drill-press is not used that much anymore and the CW is more accurate "for my setup" in placement, size and depth.

Only the outside body shaping after glue up is needed.

picture off my site.

http://96.9.54.101/liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LesPaulCutoutsR001.jpg

http://96.9.54.101/liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LesPaulBackR001.jpg

LG

dholzric
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
That looks like my Les Paul except my middle section is only half done from when the chuck failed :) Are you carving out the holes for the pickups and other stuff or are you using the cutout bit? I have been going back through getting rid of as much carving as i can so i can speed things up.

liquidguitars
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I using the 3/8 bit for the pockets cutouts.

make sure the 3/8 bit is sharp and free from pitch build up.

LG

dholzric
08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Did you find a bit the right size for cutting the frets or are you just marking them still?

liquidguitars
08-05-2009, 07:08 PM
still marking them with the CW.

LG

hogiewan
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
LG, do you flip the board in the sled, or does the whole sled flip? Also, how do you hold the board in the sled?

liquidguitars
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I flip the board like a book, and use screws. I like to use full sleds and not rails as i need to make a few tops at a time.
LG

Nightshade
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I am currently looking to start building some guitars with my friend who just built up his own cnc machine, he knows what he is doing with the machine, i have no clue lol but Im looking for the files. I do know guitars a bit and Im a musician, I am also in the process of learning electricity and electronics so Ill be taking care of that part. What I would be looking for though would be more like plans for a gibson SG or some of the models from Gretsch , mc carty and/or a few high end models of hamer and kramer, I was wondering if you or maybe someone else here would either have stl files for some of that or know where I might try to find them.
Thank you for your time.

robbrigg2
01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I am currently looking to start building some guitars with my friend who just built up his own cnc machine, he knows what he is doing with the machine, i have no clue lol but Im looking for the files. I do know guitars a bit and Im a musician, I am also in the process of learning electricity and electronics so Ill be taking care of that part. What I would be looking for though would be more like plans for a gibson SG or some of the models from Gretsch , mc carty and/or a few high end models of hamer and kramer, I was wondering if you or maybe someone else here would either have stl files for some of that or know where I might try to find them.
Thank you for your time.

This was already posted here awhile back, but check out this site

ibanez270
04-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Has anyone tried this guitar yet? If so can you please post a pic? And let us know how the project went.
Thanks alot
john