PDA

View Full Version : Eight inch carving bit

AskBud
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
This is an observation only:
I just loaded 1.150 on a spare machine, as I have a guest coming Friday.
He has sent me an MPC and it was too high for my 1.132.
It is a simple carve, so I did not check the bits prior to loading the card.
When the machine loaded, it went through the bit check as expected.
Here is the sequence:
Select Vector Bit
1/8" Carving
I place the 1/8" Cutting just on a hunch.
Finding Thickness
1/8" Cutting Bit
I continued with the same bit.
1/16" Carving Bit
I loaded the proper bit and the carve is running.

While it runs, I'm looking at the MPC.
I see that the person assigned the 1/8" Ballnose Bit to carve an oval as well as assigning a Cut-out on the same set-up.

My conclusion is that the REQUEST for the Vector Bit (1/8" Ballnose) was the first call and the default on the 1.150 programing for the machine uses the generic call for a 1/8" Carving Bit rather than stating the Ballnose Bit.

It may, therefore, use this generic call for all/many "Vector" cuts. The only one on the MPC was/is the oval within the cut-out.

This may be where some of the others have had similar Bit Calls.
It is a very good reason for the Designer to be able to "list" all the bits in use on the project, as I have suggested on the "Wish List".
AskBud

Azbear
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree with you Bud on the bit calls.
Wondering if this comes to be possible, will the machine know feed and speed action to take with different bits?

Bear

This is an observation only:
I just loaded 1.150 on a spare machine, as I have a guest coming Friday.
He has sent me an MPC and it was too high for my 1.132.
It is a simple carve, so I did not check the bits prior to loading the card.
When the machine loaded, it went through the bit check as expected.
Here is the sequence:
Select Vector Bit
1/8" Carving
I place the 1/8" Cutting just on a hunch.
Finding Thickness
1/8" Cutting Bit
I continued with the same bit.
1/16" Carving Bit
I loaded the proper bit and the carve is running.

While it runs, I'm looking at the MPC.
I see that the person assigned the 1/8" Ballnose Bit to carve an oval as well as assigning a Cut-out on the same set-up.

My conclusion is that the REQUEST for the Vector Bit (1/8" Ballnose) was the first call and the default on the 1.150 programing for the machine uses the generic call for a 1/8" Carving Bit rather than stating the Ballnose Bit.

It may, therefore, use this generic call for all/many "Vector" cuts. The only one on the MPC was/is the oval within the cut-out.

This may be where some of the others have had similar Bit Calls.
It is a very good reason for the Designer to be able to "list" all the bits in use on the project, as I have suggested on the "Wish List".
AskBud

bergerud
07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
I actually have a 1/8 carving bit. I tried it once (ver 1.134) to carve a slot only 0.2 inches deep and the machine drove it into the wood so fast it overloaded the motor and pulled the bit right out of the QC. I think it used the same cut rate as for the 1/16 carving bit. I have not experimented further since I nearly lost a belt !