PDA

View Full Version : Bit plate problems

Steven Alford
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I tried doing a search but no luck. I am probably calling it the wrong thing.

But anyway, I am in the middle of a cut and I switched bits and it goes over to touch that plate that is supposed to pop out, but it won't pop out. It tries, but just can't. I manually moved it a few times and blew all the dust out, but it still won't work.

How do I fix this one.

supershingler
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Steve

I Have Had To Clean The Top Of The Bit Plate As It Will Git A Buildup Of Pitch On It. Clean It And The Lube It U P Good. Also Check Your Wires In The Upper Corner That Run To You Cover Switch As Some Time The Vibrate Down And The Y Cant Get All The Way Over To Touch The Bit Plate

Hope This Helps

Kendall

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Like said above, the right switch wires get in the way and the head can't reach the far side to push the bit plate out.

Do like I and many others do, put some foam behind the bit plate so it is out all the time. Unless you cut a 14 inch wide board it won't get in the way.

AL

atauer
07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Steve

I Have Had To Clean The Top Of The Bit Plate As It Will Git A Buildup Of Pitch On It. Clean It And The Lube It U P Good. Also Check Your Wires In The Upper Corner That Run To You Cover Switch As Some Time The Vibrate Down And The Y Cant Get All The Way Over To Touch The Bit Plate

Hope This Helps

Kendall

Good info Kendall.

That is exactly what is needed in this situation. Clean the plate good and squirt a little oil on the pivot joint on the plate.

Also, try blowing out the Y guide rails with some compressed air. I have seen in the past were some debris will prevent the Y truck from going all the way over.

Steven Alford
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys, I will try everything suggested. The foam sounds like a good permanent solution.

thomasj
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
In addition to keeping the bit plate clean and lubed and the other suggestions - I painted it white so I could see the movement better. My CW is in a darker corner of the shop

Steven Alford
07-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Cleaning and lubing only made it come out for one touch, not the second touch. So I used the foam idea, works perfect!!

Azbear
07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Sometimes I put a small bit of oil on the spot where the Y side contacts the lever. Seems to help. Aluminum doesn't play well with others.

Bear

Cleaning and lubing only made it come out for one touch, not the second touch. So I used the foam idea, works perfect!!

AskBud
07-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Put on some goggles and blow out the track that the Truck rides on. I'll bet you get lots of dirt in your face.
AskBud

unitedcases
07-09-2009, 09:49 PM
I cant remember which tips and tricks number but Jeff Birt put something out there about putting chain wax, on the bit plate where the z-truck hits it. Every time mine gets stuck I just shoot a quick squirt. It dries almost instantaneously. That always fixes it for me.

Kenm810
07-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Here's one of the threads, where Jeff Mentions the bicycle chain wax being used on the machines bit touch plate.
I've used it and it works for me. :cool:

finding bit plate (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4682&highlight=bicycle+chain+wax)