PDA

View Full Version : Newest Rosette

William Blankenship
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just thought I would share this with you all. Let me know if you want the pattern. I drew this design in Corel Draw. It is based on a 16th century design from the book, "Handbook of Ornament", Softbound, page 260, plate 159, item 8. In case anyone is interested <grin>.

I plan to carve some feet for this circular carving. My wife wanted me to carve her a raised platform to sit on the table to lay hot pots on when we have people over, sort of a little decorative, conversational piece. Once I decide on the interlocking feet design, I'll share the entire project with you if you like. You never know, you're wife might like one, too.

This carving is only nine inches. I have another that I plan to make twenty-eight inches when I figure out how to set this up in the design software. The larger one has a leaf and vine filigre running though it.

SteveEJ
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Nice.. I'd like the pattern..

Thanks,

Dhaffner
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
That's a great piece.
Good luck with the larger one! it's not too bad to do things that large, you just have to think about it like a "print" piece... I go into my art program for things that big and essentially make 2 (or more) seperate pieces with some overlap and "registration" marks on the outside The overlap allows you to do a pierced carve if you want and not worry about the 7 degree falloff of the bit... I then go to my jointer/sander and sand to the registration points on both (or more) pieces and join them with dowels or bisquits...and BOOM you have much bigger carvings!

William Blankenship
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Here are the patterns. I thought I would include both. I don't know if the larger one with the filagre will carve at the nine inch size without exhibiting severe chipping.

William Blankenship
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure I understand what the 7th degree falloff of the bit is; being new to carving but the rest I understand perfectly. I used to create brochures and other advertisements as part of my other job. These days, I just carve <grin>. I wouldn't have thought of registry marks. That really helps allot. Thanks for the advise.

SteveEJ
07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks William!

geekviking
07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
for the pattern, that came out sweet! :)

William Blankenship
07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
My pleasure, Steve. I have gotten quite a bit of info and patterns from these forums. I just thought I would introduce myself and share a little. I have other rosettes. Some I'm having quite a big problem with chipping. I can share these even though I haven't all the bugs worked out.

I'm thinking the rock chuck might solve some of the chipping due to the increase in precision carving. When my CW is out of warrentee, I'll look into this.

GrammaPam
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
My pleasure, Steve. I have gotten quite a bit of info and patterns from these forums. I just thought I would introduce myself and share a little. I have other rosettes. Some I'm having quite a big problem with chipping. I can share these even though I haven't all the bugs worked out.

I'm thinking the rock chuck might solve some of the chipping due to the increase in precision carving. When my CW is out of warrentee, I'll look into this.

Nice pattern. Thank you for sharing.
I'm surprised you are getting chip out. I checked the file and you have "medium" draft." That has helped me more than any single thing.
And you are not carving too deep. I assume (uh oh, usually a mistake) you are carving at "best." This used to be more of a problem for me so I'm interested in whatever others might think about it.
G.P.

www.go3d.us
07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Very cool looking rosette.
HT

William Blankenship
07-10-2009, 01:24 AM
When I carve the one with the vine and leaf filagre, it looks better with no draft. I am worried that I will get a little chip out at a nine inch carve. Some of the other rosettes I carve exhibit this when I carve them small. The larger I carve the better, of course.

Here is the newest carve. Hot off the machine. This is another prototype for a table top. I plan to chop the drawing up so I can make a larger version. This one is carved at fourteen inches. I exported this from Corel Draw clipart. I didn't draw this one. I'm almost positive this is royalty free; feel free to use this as you all wish.

geekviking
07-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Those are simply awesome! Please post some more if you do them, and I'm sure I speak for alot of us in saying I can't wait to see the finished table, I'll bet it's going to be beautiful!

William Blankenship
07-10-2009, 04:38 AM
...awsome.....can't wait to see the finished table, I'll bet it's going to be beautiful!

Thanks!! I'm not quite sure how I want to cut the project up to fit on the board. If I make it twenty eight inches that is one thing. I can do it in halves. Anything larger will require pie shaped wedges. My plans for this tabletop is around thirty six inches in diameter. I will also need to put glass on it. I'll use different stains to highlight the pattern. I'm also thinking I'll use a matte finish. I'll see how the prototype looks with a matte finish. I may opt for high gloss in the end.

I've had my machine since last December. I am just starting to get results I can live with. I spent most of my time reading the post in the forum and looking at tutorials. I still don't know enough <grin>. I must say, though, my CarveWright is my favorite tool. It is fun to use.

RayTrek
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Great projects and design - Looking good to me - Thanks for the sharing

Ray

William Blankenship
07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
......getting chip out......
G.P.

Here are the two that are presenting a challenge when carved small. I almost have to carve them so shallow it looks like line art drawn on the wood. I will just have to use them for larger carvings. I would like to make cm19 into a patio table, anyway. CM49 is the one that I need for a lazy susan base.

(Both of these are Corel Draw clipart conversions. Again, I believe these have no royalties attached to them.)

atauer
07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Here are the two that are presenting a challenge when carved small. I almost have to carve them so shallow it looks like line art drawn on the wood. I will just have to use them for larger carvings. I would like to make cm19 into a patio table, anyway. CM49 is the one that I need for a lazy susan base.

(Both of these are Corel Draw clipart conversions. Again, I believe these have no royalties attached to them.)

Do you have a scanning probe or the pattern editor?

If so, just open them in the pattern editor software and blur the edges a little bit. That should help reduce the chipping.

William Blankenship
07-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Do you have a scanning probe or the pattern editor?

If so,.....blur the edges a little bit.......

I don't have either of those yet. I'm just wishing right now. I'll try to smudge the edges in Photoshop or Corel paint. I'll use a three pixel brush to start.
Thanks!! I hadn't thought about feathering the edges. I'll try it with a white background and a black background to see which works better. I really do have to get the rest of the CarveWright software and hardware.

ChrisAlb
07-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks!! I'm not quite sure how I want to cut the project up to fit on the board. If I make it twenty eight inches that is one thing. I can do it in halves. Anything larger will require pie shaped wedges.

Actually, you can cut the design into 3 parts and use three 12" wide boards to get your 36" table top.

I've spanned patterns over more than 3 boards many times for larger projects. The easiest way (for me) is to cut the design up at the art side and make 3 patterns from it.

I don't recommend trying g the wedges thing as the CW can cut very small differences in them and make assembly a real pain. Yep, I've tried that too...:)

William Blankenship
07-11-2009, 08:51 AM
...3 parts and ...12" wide boards to get your 36" table top....spanned patterns over 3 boards

My father always told me you have to be really stubborn not to learn something new everyday. I really appreciate this advise. I was going out this morning to carve the wedges. Good advise in the nick of time. <grin>. I'm going back into Corel Draw and cut this up into rectangles. That won't take long at all. Thanks a bunch, from the sound of it you just saved me a load of frustration and money.

William Blankenship
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
....cut the design into 3 parts and use three 12" wide boards to get your 36" table top.

Will the CW cut all the way across the entire 12" width of the boards or do I need to use the machine to cut out the pieces?

SteveEJ
07-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I seem to remember that it would on 1 edge but not the other. I would add 1 inch on each side, not scale to fit and rip off what is not needed in a sled. That would leave a clean edge for glueing as well.

If you need it blurred in the pattern editor I can do that. Let me know. I am keaving on a trip again monday but am available this weekend minus church time.

CM 49 would be great for a lazy susan. That is on my project list as soon as travels slow down. William, Can ya spare a pattern? :)

William Blankenship
07-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I seem to remember that it would on 1 edge but not the other. I would add 1 inch on each side, not scale to fit and rip off what is not needed in a sled. That would leave a clean edge for glueing as well.

If you need it blurred in the pattern editor I can do that. Let me know. I am keaving on a trip again monday but am available this weekend minus church time.

CM 49 would be great for a lazy susan. That is on my project list as soon as travels slow down. William, Can ya spare a pattern? :)

Good idea. I'll set this up and carve some scrap that I have. I have some 6" stock that I can use.

Steve I appreciate that. Can I send it to you though another gateway? What do you suggest? The PNG file is huge. I shrank it to the specified file size and is was distorted and fuzzy.

Here is the attachment for the project. I exported the pattern but it is too large to upload just that. I think my scale might be too large. This project will work fine. Do you want a small top rosette, too? I have one that I'm working on right now.

ChrisAlb
07-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Will the CW cut all the way across the entire 12" width of the boards or do I need to use the machine to cut out the pieces?

Sorry for the delay William, Been building a new computer system for my dad at his place. Still here....LOL

Yes, the CW will carve/cut all the way to both edges. I do it all the time. The only thing it does on a "cut out" is stays an 1/8" from the bottom of the board around the brass roller. It will resume cutting all the way through once it's 3/8" off that edge.

Glad to help.

geekviking
07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
for the pattern! This is going behind a pirate styled dagger on my wall.
I added the "bumpy" texture in the mix, think it came out okay :)

William Blankenship
07-12-2009, 03:57 AM
for the pattern! This is going behind a pirate styled dagger on my wall.
I added the "bumpy" texture in the mix, think it came out okay :)

That turned out very well. What did you use in the center circle. That looks cool!! Good job and good use for this piece.

William Blankenship
07-12-2009, 04:09 AM
.....building a new computer system for my dad....Yes.....Glad to help.

Nothing to be sorry for. I decided to set this up and run it on a smaller scale the first time I run it. That way I will know how it works and use up some of my scrap molding. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

geekviking
07-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks, glad you like it :)

I resized your 14 inch pattern to 11 inch to fit my scrap pine board. Carved on "Best" ran about an hour & 1/2...
The Diamonds come from the "Bumps" texture set to one and a half inch & I placed a circle in the center of the middle diamond & choose "Select surface" and used the "Button pinch 2" in "Domes"
Changed the surface heights as well, check out the .mpc if you like ;-)

William Blankenship
07-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Thanks, glad you like it :)

I resized your 14 inch pattern to 11 inch to fit my scrap pine board. Carved on "Best" ran about an hour & 1/2...
The Diamonds come from the "Bumps" texture set to one and a half inch & I placed a circle in the center of the middle diamond & choose "Select surface" and used the "Button pinch 2" in "Domes"
Changed the surface heights as well, check out the .mpc if you like ;-)

That really turned out well. I'm glad you used my pattern. I wouldn't have thought to play around with the background. That is a very nice touch!! I like the way you created the dome in the middle circle. It looks like a viking shield with that added feature. Good job.

ChrisAlb
07-12-2009, 08:13 AM
You guys are doing some really nice things with this. It's a very cool pattern William! Thanks for sharing it. I think it would make a really cool clock face too.

William, if I send you my email via PM, could you email the full PNG to me? I'd love to cut it up to make a 3 piece table top for my brother. I'd like to go for a 42" diameter top under glass using three 14" wide boards and make a smaller version clock to match for his rec room.

He has some folks over on the weekends for poker and I'm "betting" he'd love it!!

SteveEJ
07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Chris,
What are the steps in cutting one up?
:confused:

liquidguitars
07-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Nice job! Someone should try one with a dome shape top.. When i was at Warwick castle a few years back on the wall was captured shield of war.

LG

geekviking
07-12-2009, 11:37 PM
I'll bet that was cool to see :)
I have been thinking of doing a couple of shields as well as been playing around with some futuristic style swords to carve out 2 sided... (Not very fluent in 3-D modeling, unfortunately)