PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a carve region

Steven Alford
07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
On the attached file I added a spline line at the under side of the filigrees in the hopes that I could carve out that whole area. The spline is completely connected and has a connecting line across the bottom.

But for some reason I cannot turn that area into a carve region. Why not?

As I am typing this I am thinking, is it because my spline line could be touching part of the pattern (filigree) and you cannot remove part of a pattern that way?

If I draw a rough circle with the spline tool on a bare spot in my pattern (at far left), I can then turn it into a carve region, but not the spline at the bottom.

What gives?? I am using 1.15

atauer
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Try this one.

Not sure what I did, but the Carve region appears...

Steven Alford
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks a million. Do you have any idea what you did to fix it? I will probably have more like this and it would be nice if I could fix it myself.

atauer
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I moved the vertex in the bottom right corner of it and it appeared. Not sure why...

Steven Alford
07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Alex
What direction did you move it, up, down, right, left??

atauer
07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
moved it in a downward slant to the right.

Dan-Woodman
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Steven
As you may know, you have to have a complete circle of lines all attached to make a connection. Sometimes you have to zoom in close to see if the red dots are connected in order to make a carve region.
later Daniel

Steven Alford
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
OK, got the carve region fixed and made a sled for the part and loaded it up on the machine. When I loaded the pattern and it measured the board it kept telling me the board was short by 1/8" when it was not short. I measured it myself 3 times. I kept reloading it and it finally accepted it. I did not rescale the pattern, it carved it to the right scale.

The problem is, even though I told it to center on the board, it carved it 3/4" to the right.

I don't think I like this new version, 1.15

And , yes, the board is equidistant from both ends.

cnsranch
07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
It looks like the sled was slipping - the mpc shows everything symmetrical but the filagrees carved offset from the lines, and all shifted to the right.

Am I missing something?

Chief38
07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
The last 4 projects I have triede in 1.15 the measurement steps in project mode did'nt seem to complete.

I had a 10x10 design board and was using a 20x11.25 swp .75 thk flat and square.

In the project mode the measurement steps kept giving short measurements and did kept asking to scale. I aborted the project and did a measurement of board (7). This gave a correct measurement. Leaving the board in and going back to my project, I could now run the project and it centered correctly on the board. The project used the dimemsions from the (7) measurement and did not ask to measure the board.

My WAG is that the project measurement steps have a bug and the (7) measurement which is part of the on board tool set still works as it wasn't affected by the update.

Herb

AskBud
07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I have not upgraded to 1.15 as yet, so I can not open your MPC.
Therefore I have a few questions that may help.

How long are your "actual" end pieces (I'll bet on over 3.5")?
If this is true, you may have selected "Place on End" rather than "Center", as the machine loaded.

It appears the your sled is Oak, and perhaps ever finished Oak, is this true?
Oak is hard and, probably, needs masking tape on the bottom at the Keyboard side so the Brass Roller grips well.

It looks like the machine placed the cut (Top & Bottom) correctly, but did not have a command to "Center" on board. This means one of these two observations/questions could be your answer.
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I would suggest you don't upgrade either Bud, I am running into some problems with it. It won't measure your board right and it crashes when you turn off some tool bars.

My end pieces are 4"

I told it to center, but I agree with the previous poster, I think the roller slipped.

Steven Alford
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
And yes, it is an oak sled. I have made a new one from maple and will give that a try. I bet it doesn't slip and I have a good carve!! Any takers??

AskBud
07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Maple is hard as well. You may still need the tape. I use poplar.
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-08-2009, 05:26 PM
This is a soft maple. When it carves it actually leaves a lot of fuzzies. But yes I will also put tape on the bottom.