PDA

View Full Version : Front Loading Dust Collector Interest

Digitalwoodshop
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
OK... It worked for the ROCK, let's see if it could work for the Dust Collector.

Looking at the FWHarris Interpretation of a front loading dust collecting hood and his offer to let a sheet metal shop look at the hood to make a sheet metal version got me thinking.

How many would be interested in a professionally made metal collector?

I would be interested in 2 and possibly 3.... As my Ill fitting unit has it's flaws causing it to droop.... A better made collector would be very helpfully to me.

So let's hear it....

Who is interested in buying a professional unit for your CW?

I know I have not had the chip problems using my collector.

AL

PCW
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
It would be nice if someone was in the plastic injection molding business to take a look at this. Would be nice to see a clear top loading DC tray with port made with from a one piece molded part that fit like a glove.

supershingler
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
i would like 2 if anyone comes up with a good plan

kendall

fwharris
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
To all,,

I have a meeting set up for this Thursday morning with a fabrication shop to look at what I have and what they can do with it. Will post info when I have it.

Al,

We should have a good estimate of numbers by then hopefully so I can have a good idea of numbers to talk to them about..

hess
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I would need 2 if the $ is good

James RS
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok I'm going to chime in here, as this might help and might not. I remember seeing on youtube a person who made there own vaccuum molding press. what's this got to do with anything, well with the advent of the stl software couldn't a mold be made and some platsic bought and heated. Just a thought here's one I just did a quick search http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOxhQ1lhV8

Jim

PCW
07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
James

That is how it's done on a small scale. We have a small company in my area call Romeo Engineering (http://www.romeoengineering.com/)(3 miles away) and he make aftermarket parts for Corvettes. I am going to send him a link to this tread. I have been in his shop and seen the patterns and how it's done. I will invite him to comment on the subject. Hopefully he will respond here and take some questions on the possibilities.

mabco12
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Anyone who could manufacture a new cover with a built in vacuum port could clean up with all the CarveWrights that are out there!! Why didn't they incorporate a port in their cover in the first place????

cestout
07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I think the vacuum port should be off set to the end away from the keypad, because that is the way the built-in blower pushes it and that is where, in my experience, it piles up the most. When money gets better I would probably buy one.
Clint

dhilburn
07-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I would take one if the cost is right

earlyrider
07-07-2009, 07:19 PM
The vacuum forming method is really quite simple, any one of us could make the forms. I would like to have the collector attached to the two threaded holes in the shelf under the clear hood/door. Sheet metal or plastic, I would buy one if not too expensive.
Ron

liquidguitars
07-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I be in if i can see my work..

LG

SteveEJ
07-07-2009, 08:49 PM
If the right price and transparent show me in too.

AskBud
07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
It will work:
I asked LHR about the screw holes (Thread size & actual/proposed/former usage). I got an answer on a second question, from the Forum, but the person could not cover the question on the holes. No response from LHR.

I built a "Low Profile" unit, using those holes but I did not get the Air-Flow I wished, nor did I like the overhang outside the machine. I, also, did not like the complexity of the design for the novice to assemble and put in use.

I did not find "Vision" to be an issue. Each Vacuum must be designed so that it does not interfere with the Truck & Cutter(s). Therefore I was/am able to see the cutter do its work. A high profile cuts the view somewhat, but I can still see well.

These attachments show my attempted design. My final design uses what I think is a better method of securing the Vacuum to the unit.

I called LHR again today (7/7/2009) and was told that Joe Lovchik is the only one that OK's projects, and he is out of the office for a few more days, so I'm trying to be patient.
AskBud

rjustice
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
It would be nice if someone was in the plastic injection molding business to take a look at this. Would be nice to see a clear top loading DC tray with port made with from a one piece molded part that fit like a glove.

Guess what i do for a living Dan....

LOL...

Ron

rjustice
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Ron

Please pretty please. What would we do without you. Is it possible to have a transparent anti-static dust port?

short answer is... absolutely...

PCW
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Count me in for two. You da man.

al2888dj
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
will need 2

Steven Alford
07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
If Rons going to have something to do with it, count me in.
If it's have as nice as the Rock, we got it made!!

The Rock Chuck and the Rock Vac

easybuilt
07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey Ron, everything you make is GREAT!
I will take one. Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Guess what i do for a living Dan....

LOL...

Ron

Some how I just can't type ROCK and :mrgreen:

SUCKS in the same sentence...... That is right.... I knew Ron worked in Plastic for a living....

Ron is going to be very BUSY....

As an aftermarket collector I would not be concerned about LHR as this just adds to the reliability reducing the dust related failures and phone calls to LHR.

9 hour power outage after a hail storm yesterday, missed the action.

AL

rjustice
07-08-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm not sure how to say this "politically correct".... but if i am stepping on someones toes here, please let me know. I just answered one simple question about being a plastic injection mold maker/molder. It is not my intent to have anyone upset with me, and after i slept on it last night i thought i could be doing so.

So, here is a public apology if it is needed, and if anyone objects to me taking this on please let me know. Feel free to say so publicly in the forum, or if you wish you can email me or PM me.

Thanks guys!

Ron

TIMCOSBY
07-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Anyone who could manufacture a new cover with a built in vacuum port could clean up with all the CarveWrights that are out there!! Why didn't they incorporate a port in their cover in the first place????

just completed a 17 hour carve no dust collection at all on a 13" wide by 7' board. just let her rip and came back later. it just compresses the shaving onto the board as it rolls the board out. on 5" boards the sandpaper rolls most of it out.

now the fine dust does need attention if your going to stand by it while it carves for more than 30 minutes cause it gets on everything and will be in your lungs... not good.

coop2739
07-08-2009, 06:27 AM
I would be interested in 2.:)

Digitalwoodshop
07-08-2009, 06:43 AM
I would be interested in a metal and a plastic version. I would not stop progress from a metal version.

AL

badger
07-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure how to say this "politically correct".... but if i am stepping on someones toes here, please let me know. I just answered one simple question about being a plastic injection mold maker/molder. It is not my intent to have anyone upset with me, and after i slept on it last night i thought i could be doing so.

So, here is a public apology if it is needed, and if anyone objects to me taking this on please let me know. Feel free to say so publicly in the forum, or if you wish you can email me or PM me.

Thanks guys!

Ron

At this time that would be between you and FWHarris, its called free enterprise. I dont think FW is at all upset with you probably kicking himself for not producing a model first to show everyone first though.

I think both you and FW put out some great work and Im sure he would appreciate your comments.

AskBud
07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Ron,
For my part, I'll say that I think there is room for a "ready made" Dust Collection/Vacuum product as well as free plans/ideas on the Forum and a Project in the CW store.

I think we all want to have and use a unit that will keep things running smoothly and be within our budget. The three avenues of availability seem to cover the options. Heaven knows, we have requested that LHR step up to the plate before we started our own intensive efforts.
AskBud

fwharris
07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks guys!

Ron

Ron,

No issues with me what so ever. As "Badger" stated we are working in a free enterprise system and I am sure there are more than one way to suck the dust off the cat, so to speak! And yes I am maybe kicking myself a little bit!!:roll:

I know your reputation will be very hard to compete with but I really do not think that either one of us (or Bud) should back away from this idea. After all look how many are standing in line already!!:)

I have set up a poll on the CNC Guild forum http://http://cncartguild.forumotion.net/aftermarket-options-f31/front-loading-dust-collector-insert-t35.htm#94 to give me a rough count for those who might be interested..

badger
07-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I am sure there are more than one way to suck the dust off the cat, .

lmao, ill have to give that a try to test my dust collection system.

rjustice
07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
lmao, ill have to give that a try to test my dust collection system.

On side note, our cat loves to have the sweeper hose ran over him...LOL... now with a 4" inlet, you could loose a cat, so be careful!..:)

On the serious side, thank you guys for the feedback and interest. I will start working through the process soon. I had a little different approach that i will share with the group once i get the part model done.

Happy Carving guys (and gals)

Ron

Ike
07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I know I am excited to be able to purchase a dust collector no matter who makes it! Ron I am still going to buy a "Rock" when I get the money. My money is going to the soda business! I do have 2 events coming up with the sign shop.

Wow I wish I had the talent of you guys! Thanks so much!

Ike

unitedcases
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I am barely catching up so if I am behind then so be it, military moves take you out of the loop if you know what I mean. If Ron makes it I will definitely buy one. One of the biggest problems I have is that there are so many different ideas and ways to make this thing. I honestly dont know where to start.

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Military Moves... Yes that can take you out of the loop. Only made one move married from Great Lakes to San Diego.

As long as it is low profile so you can access the bit easily and really Sucks is all that is needed.... Having the 4 inch suction off to the side is a benefit to me rather then right in the middle and in the way.

AL

HighTechOkie
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I would like to see a small shroud attached to the z truck with bristles around the perimeter similar to the commercial CNCs. Keep the air where its needed instead of a large hood 15" wide. The major concern would be air volume.

Either design needs to pay special attention to air flow and minimize turbulence. In that regard, I would think a plastic hood would be cheaper to produce and allow for better air flow control.

Rob

PCW
07-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi Rob

Check out the shroud that I have on my other machine. It is clear and the plastic snaps off. I had the black bristles type before but you can not see thru it. Maybe something on a smaller scale? I don't know if you would have a issue with clearance and the extra weight added to the Z. This one adjusts out of the way for bit change by loosing two set screws.

I can tell you for the system in the picture it works great and does not miss any dust.

HighTechOkie
07-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Something more in line with the rotozip dust extractor is what I had envisioned.

http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English%20%5BUS%5D/t06/0000000/r00511v11.jpg

I would think this approach to be the most effective at dust/chip removal. How to make it attach and easily move out of the way for bit changes has been my stumbling block. I doubt the weight would be much of an issue if the hose was supported separately.

Rob

PCW
07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Rob,

It's a tough one. The closed design of the machine makes for not a easy fix. The little port in the picture you supplied is a pretty interesting idea and if it had a skirt on it would most definitely do the job.

I have a downdraft system hooked up on my machine now but the top mount is the short cut to the problem and requires less suction and will do a better job. Dam lid :mrgreen:

I was just thinking about you the last couple of days. I notice that I have not been seeing you logged in. Hope everything is OK.

HighTechOkie
07-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Everything is good. I was in Orlando for 8 days at the American Council for the Blind convention. I must say, it was nice to be away from the keyboard :), but missed all the good folks on the forums.

Thanks for the concern Dan, I'm back to keep the pot stirred :mrgreen:.

Rob

PCW
07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Now wait a minute that is my job. Maybe we can share the job.:mrgreen:

rjustice
07-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Something more in line with the rotozip dust extractor is what I had envisioned.

http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English%20%5BUS%5D/t06/0000000/r00511v11.jpg

I would think this approach to be the most effective at dust/chip removal. How to make it attach and easily move out of the way for bit changes has been my stumbling block. I doubt the weight would be much of an issue if the hose was supported separately.

Rob

Hi Rob,
I had actually considered an approach like this as well, but backed away from it due to the extra weight, plus the push and pull of a hose. I based that on the Y axis not having enough guts to move the bit plate when it gets the least bit dirty or sticky. I have also read a lot of people getting the "clean Y rails" error, so i think that they are monitoring the load on that servo very closely. To design an interface to adapt to the truck by a simple snap on/ snap off approach wouldnt be hard, but it worries me that this would be a little too much to ask of the machine movements.

Thoughts?

PCW
07-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Ron,

I think the best approach would be the style such as Al (who) is using. We don't need to put any more work on the machine than we have to. It already requesting to much vacation time as is.

A clear durable good fitting drop in tray is the easiest and less taxing on the machine. If you can keep the nozzle within a .500 of the cutting bit you would not let any dust escape. JMHO

HighTechOkie
07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm using a top dust hood similar to Al's connected to a 2hp Harbor Freight dust collector w/ upgraded filter. I also have a slot in the bottom of my table for a downdraft system that I no longer use but have left open for airflow. It works great for keeping the dust out, but doesn't seem to pick up MDF or large chips when cutting PVC. It is also inconvenient for bit changes. Adding an air blast would possibly solve some of those issues, but that means an added line ran to the machine. Since several people have already done that and had little problems w/ Y axis errors, I figured a light weight plastic shroud would work just as well and cut the need for the air line.

Rob
Photo of dust hood
http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9946&d=1204226569

Digitalwoodshop
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I would love a Dremel style chip catcher that tracked or attached to the head. I have looked at that and the left side BOB and dealing with the Bit holder are the stumbling block....

I had an idea of a center of the machine mounted low profile hose and a short flex and retractable small hose that was attached to the head and the head moving back and fourth dragging the hose back and forth sucking the chips. When it at the bit flag and left side it would be pulling the hose with it but it would all clear bit flag as it would not wrap around the head.

I should copyright that idea....:cool:

Call it the Chip DRAGGER.

AL

HighTechOkie
07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Too late, its already in public domain :)

Rob

Digitalwoodshop
07-12-2009, 02:44 PM
RATS !!!!!! I planned to make a million bucks from the idea and you guys.... Bummer....

OK... Back to real work....

Rats.....:confused:

AL

Kenm810
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
It's a real Rat race sometimes Al,
makes ya kinda feel like your
just spinning your Wheel!!

dcalvin4
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Why not run the machine with the top cover or hood off it seems thats the first thing to come off for repairs anyway..Prob. run cooler and let the chips lay where they fall.

Digitalwoodshop
07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Chips build up on the board and the rollers pack them down on the board and can cause problems, but chips in belt cogs is the real problem....

There is a liability to operating it without covers but that is a user option.

For the few with collection systems it's fewer problems.

Guys like Chris who are very careful and keep the machine super clean don't have any problems.

For a Lazy guy like me... A collector saves me time..

AL

I bet that RAT RACE Tread Mill would work well on Navy Ships.... LOL...:D

Ike
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Rob

Check out the shroud that I have on my other machine. It is clear and the plastic snaps off. I had the black bristles type before but you can not see thru it. Maybe something on a smaller scale? I don't know if you would have a issue with clearance and the extra weight added to the Z. This one adjusts out of the way for bit change by loosing two set screws.

I can tell you for the system in the picture it works great and does not miss any dust.
I know that machine it is a K2 CNC! I have one with a dust collector!

Ike

earlyrider
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
When the c(r)ap and trade stuff gets passed, we may need the treadmill to run our CWs and dust collectors. Too bad we can't put windmills in DC with all that hot air movement! Any ideas for after the best front collector is out, use the collected dust for something?:smile:
Ron

PCW
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Ike,

They are a tough little machine that is well made. They make them in your neighborhood in Calf.

I think you should just sell me the one you have cheap just to get it out of your hair. I don't need the software.:cool: Maybe I can trade you a low hour CW with all the bells n whistles for it.:lol::lol:

Ike
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Ike,

They are a tough little machine that is well made. They make them in your neighborhood in Calf.

I think you should just sell me the one you have cheap just to get it out of your hair. I don't need the software.:cool: Maybe I can trade you a low hour CW with all the bells n whistles for it.:lol::lol:

Dan I would love to, but I need the money! Maybe one day I will use it! If I wait long enough it will become an antique!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Dan I would love to, but I need the money! Maybe one day I will use it! If I wait long enough it will become an antique!

Ike

Or sell it later and make money on it.... That has been known to happen....

Good Luck with your Soda Wagon Ike,

AL

PCW
07-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Ike,

I was kind of kidding with you. I would love to have your controller and servos.:wink: Just a thought but why not post it over at cnczone.com (for sale) or carvespot.com (under other CNC) for sale. Never know might find someone looking hard for one.

AskBud
07-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I understand that Marketing is due to return on or about July 15th. Perhaps we will get my Vacuum Project on the CW Site shortly after that.
AskBud

liquidguitars
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
The more I see all the designs the more i think i like the dust collector not blocking any of my carving view or access's. This could be a total redo of the hood moving the dust collector to the side of the unit?..

if not.. i think Al's collector design shows good access to bit changes. Buds design look quick to make but will it block the view to much? I like to see my Z truck when it starts to loosen :)..

LG

Kenm810
07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Hmmmmm -- Why didn't I think of something like that!! :wink:

liquidguitars
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Ken You did! :) I think we think a like at times..

BTW i drilled a 1.25" blow port on the side on my case a few days ago to clear the out-feed roller switch. keeps me from removing the side to clean.

LG

Ike
07-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Or sell it later and make money on it.... That has been known to happen....

Good Luck with your Soda Wagon Ike,

AL

That's an ideal! Who knows I may even use it! Thanks Dan for the info and thank you Al for the encouragement! I will have both business at our fair starting tomorrow! Sodas and signs what a combo!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Bud,

How about some more pictures of your dust collector, the business end? Also some pictures of the collector with the cover open and showing a bit in the machine. It might help sales to see the access to the bit that is a show stopper for most people. I have easy access with the T handle on the Rock, what does your design look like with a T handle installed in the Rock? Sort of a see it before you buy it.

With my Engineered Design, I show picture 1 where you can see as it is cutting you just see the black line of the dust collector in the picture. Uncluttered and easy access.

With picture 2,3 and 4 you see the ROCK still has easy access to suck up he dust and even with my big hands I can easily get in and change the bit in the raised or lower position. As we all know, the machine presents itself for bit change in the raised position.

If you stuck your finger up into the suction area you would find about 3/4 of an inch from left to right. I do have tape over about 1/4 of the right side to increase suction in the left side. There is a rounded area or cove in the machine metal plate and I use that for the back part of my Engineered Suction area. As in picture 5 you can see that the plate closest to the bit is longer and one side of the Engineered Suction area.

I added baffles to act as stiffeners to the top and just taped and used RTV to hold them. Since I left the slot open to sit over the machine ledge that the cover rest on, I later used a bunch of weather seal foam to make it a snug fit to maintain suction to the business end. It is the first prototype but it does work.

How big is your suction area Bud?

AL

AskBud
07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Al,
As you can see the head covers the entire width of the CW, and is designed to be "Easy in and Out".

I tried a low profile, but did not like the tethering options, the stress on the unit, nor the lack of air flow that I had.

I made a decision that easy manufacture and ease of placement/removal was better than working on the bits with the vacuum in place. I kept the head as small as possible, so I do have a fairly good view of the work in progress. The "lip" of the vacuum's designed to be as close to the metal tray as possible and allow chips to be sucked into the system.

I chose the top port for two reasons.
1) To keep a small footprint and stress level.
2) to improve my perception of air flow.
I tried various angles to attain the best air flow, and my Shopsmith 3300 only draws 360 CFM max. It led me to reason that air flow was much more important than keeping the vacuum in place during bit changes.

I have, also, started to use my old down-draft area in reverse. I now use a standard sweeper hose, attached to the muffler to pump that air back into the CW via that old DD port. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was to be able to have positive air flow when working on a 14" board. As you know, the rollers restrict almost all the flow on those wide boards. The "Updraft" gives me the flow back into the cutting area and tends to keep the gear area clean as well.
AskBud

Kenm810
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Quote: "LG" -- 1.25" blow port in the side of the case to clear the out-feed roller switch,
keeps me from having to removing the side to clean.

There ya go, Little changes in the machine like that,
makes it so much easier to clean and take care of our Machines,
and saves you time and possible headaches in the long run. :wink:

FINGERS
07-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I set my machine up like ken with the side sucktion and on the key pad side a blower from a mini compresser blowing at 25 psi I've had this system sut-up for over a year with no problems good air flow in the machine and little clean-up after a run, and I have an optional down draft set-up for cut-outs I use a 2hp collector with 2 ports, I'm knocking the front vac system but it looks like to much in the way of bit changing.

rickyz
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
i wish i hadn't seen this post. now i will have to make one. awesome job bud. i like the two thumbscrews for easy release. some dimensions would be very helpful if you would like to share.

fwharris
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Bud,

How about some more pictures of your dust collector, the business end? Also some pictures of the collector with the cover open and showing a bit in the machine. It might help sales to see the access to the bit that is a show stopper for most people. I have easy access with the T handle on the Rock, what does your design look like with a T handle installed in the Rock? Sort of a see it before you buy it.

With my Engineered Design, I show picture 1 where you can see as it is cutting you just see the black line of the dust collector in the picture. Uncluttered and easy access.

With picture 2,3 and 4 you see the ROCK still has easy access to suck up he dust and even with my big hands I can easily get in and change the bit in the raised or lower position. As we all know, the machine presents itself for bit change in the raised position.

If you stuck your finger up into the suction area you would find about 3/4 of an inch from left to right. I do have tape over about 1/4 of the right side to increase suction in the left side. There is a rounded area or cove in the machine metal plate and I use that for the back part of my Engineered Suction area. As in picture 5 you can see that the plate closest to the bit is longer and one side of the Engineered Suction area.

I added baffles to act as stiffeners to the top and just taped and used RTV to hold them. Since I left the slot open to sit over the machine ledge that the cover rest on, I later used a bunch of weather seal foam to make it a snug fit to maintain suction to the business end. It is the first prototype but it does work.

How big is your suction area Bud?

AL

Al,

Great points to consider on the design & access to the cutting head for the bit changes. Of course the one size fits all might not work for all as you know everyones hands are not the same size or work as well as others. So Bud's point on the easy in and easy out are also great points.

Now since I do not have the "Rock" yet your pictures give me a great view of how the T-handle plays into all of this. It looks to be not much different from the QC access for the bit changes.

You also mentioned that you "taped" over a portion of the intake to create more suction. That is one thing I was considering in my design was an adjustable intake. Knowing that everyone does not have the same size of DC unit there might be a need for air flow adjustment. I have a 650 CFM DC and did have to modify my intake size to get a better draw off of the board.

Also still debating on the fitting for the hose attachment. Should it come with the 90* fitting or just the short straight so one could match it up to their system as needed. I use an aluminum dyer vent hose from my DC to the collector to reduce the weight and make it easier to handle..

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures of my 2nd mock up re design before taking it to the fab shop today. Out side chance I might have it back late this afternoon but for sure tomorrow.

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Bud,

I love the turn screw method to hold the collector in place and it makes it easy to remove at bit change.

I also love the idea of BLOWING air up the slot in the bottom using the muffler exhaust from the Cut Motor. I was going to as a air blast using air tapped off of the muffler and some 1/4 inch or 3/8 line.

Good ideas....

AL

peter_l
07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Bud,

I love the idea and look of your DC.

Do you have any sketches or additional photos you could share?

i do alot of MDF signs and the dust is a killer.

Thanks

Pete

AskBud
07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Bud,

I love the idea and look of your DC.

Do you have any sketches or additional photos you could share?

i do alot of MDF signs and the dust is a killer.

Thanks

Pete

Peter,
The entire project takes 4 MPCs and 2 PDFs. I hope to have it listed on the CW Site soon.
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree with you LG.
I would prefer a "contraption" that did not block the view of sight through the front plastic cover. With all the things that can go wrong with the CW, being able to see takes away some of the stress.

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Peter,
The entire project takes 4 MPCs and 2 PDFs. I hope to have it listed on the CW Site soon.
AskBud

How much are you going to sell the plans for?

AL

AskBud
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
How much are you going to sell the plans for?

AL

CW may have a say in the pricing, but I want to keep it afordable for the masses. I,ve looked at some of the other projects and have an idea, but have to wait on CW.
AskBud

James RS
07-15-2009, 03:44 AM
I agree with you LG.
I would prefer a "contraption" that did not block the view of sight through the front plastic cover. With all the things that can go wrong with the CW, being able to see takes away some of the stress.

Maybe us a piece of plexiglass and screw it on where the one piece of wood is obstructing the view

AskBud
07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
7/21/2009

Hi Gang,
The Vacuum project is close at hand.
Joe is back, and we just finished talking. He is sending me a format sheet to use as LHR is trying to keep all directons/documentation in a common format.

While I'm waiting/working on this modification I'm posting one of my PDF(s) so you can gather to needed material.

The project should be listed on the Pattern list at $30.00 very soon.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Vacuum%20Material%20List.pdf

AskBud
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
OK:
The CW vacuum Head project is now a listed project at $30.00.
Go to this link: http://store.carvewright.com//home.php?cat=261
AskBud

fwharris
08-06-2009, 12:57 AM
This is my re design and build of my front load DC-Insert. Probably will make one small modification to the height of the intake end to increase the access to the cutting head.

After waiting over a month on the fab shop to make these I have decided to do it myself. They were trying (very) to work on these in their spare time and was not getting it done. They did do 2 versions but both would not fit the CW.

My material of choice is .025 aluminum. It is light weight, easy for me to work with and easy to install/remove. The 4" collar is std. galvanized duct. The intake size is approx. 14.5" X 1". Weight is just over 1 LB.

This is what I came up with for a lock down system. It is a swing down that hooks on the small flange of the frame just above the head lock handle. It is positioned such that you have to push down lightly on the insert to lock it in place.

I have posted some more pictures on the CNC ArtGuild forum (only 5/post here).

http://cncartguild.forumotion.net/front-loading-dust-collector-insert-f36/

Tom Spaulding
08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Has anyone figured out the screw size for the holes on the deck?
I'm working on a DC design that would bolt directly there, and don't want to buy a bunch of bolts to figure it out if I don't have to.

Also the deck seems to be aluminum so rare earth magnets won't work for holding down a DC.

thanks

-Tom

Digitalwoodshop
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I would think it is metric about a M5 that is about a 1/4 inch.

AL

maxcarvewright
08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello, this is Max (newbee). I mounted a 1/4" board using what I think were 10/32 screws and on top of that board I inset a socket rare earth magnets.on the opposing side I mounted my DC plate & housing. the result is an easily removable DC hood for quick bit changes & clean up.(P.S) I may have tapped the new size..since it was only alum.this was about a year ago...(CRS) !..oh ! I think I searched with a tap by running it (lightly into the hole to find the correct thread size..hope this was of some help.(magnet supplier)https://www.kjmagnetics.com

catawba
08-12-2009, 09:24 PM
This link introduces the MakeMagazine channel at YouTube, but the main thing is just to show how easy vacuum forming can be since it has come up in this thread. The video is 5:36 in length and is titled "Weekend Project: Make a Vacuum Former": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CGfoxnKaQ

Digitalwoodshop
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
That was interesting.... Neat idea..

Thanks,

AL

fwharris
08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Here is a link to my site for the info on the DC-Inserts that I am making and selling.

http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

If you have any questions drop me an email..

Tom Spaulding
08-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I finished my dust collector, its working very well for me so far.
Mine bolts to the deck using two M4 screws. I used a contour gauge and scroll saw to make the sides.

I attached a couple pictures:

hess
08-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Here is a link to my site for the info on the DC-Inserts that I am making and selling.

http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

If you have any questions drop me an email..

Just got a DC hood from RN and seems well made very lite easy fit and I can get to the Rock with lots of room by placing the rock to the left normal station.

I will make a run tonight to see how well it works

Got Buds also but need to cut it out that is the advantage of RN it is already done for us lazy old farts

fwharris
08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Just got a DC hood from RN and seems well made very lite easy fit and I can get to the Rock with lots of room by placing the rock to the left normal station.

I will make a run tonight to see how well it works

Got Buds also but need to cut it out that is the advantage of RN it is already done for us lazy old farts

Hess,

Glad to hear the DC-Insert made it to you. I hope it really sucks for ya!!!:)

hess
08-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Hess,

Glad to hear the DC-Insert made it to you. I hope it really sucks for ya!!!:)

I once worked with a Female RN that said she could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

It did well I ran the Apple box just to test and there was almost no dust left in the box

Thats running the DC at full open and the DD at 50% so no C/O here:-D

fwharris
08-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I once worked with a Female RN that said she could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

It did well I ran the Apple box just to test and there was almost no dust left in the box

Thats running the DC at full open and the DD at 50% so no C/O here:-D

Hess,

LOL,,, ;)

Great report back and thanks!!!

hess
08-27-2009, 03:36 AM
I wanted to give a f/u on RNs DC. Im now running 2 on my units

The fist thing is they work well barely anything left in a carve after 6 hrs. Even in Cedar which goes all over the place.

Picks up the heavy wood like Walnut and Cherry the same.

There was an issue with his cramp sys which he has already fixed whit a heavier hold down which once in place I have been able to change bits in the Rock without removing the DC hood.

This is a very lite hood, I had to remove a bit of my Door but was no problem using a lexan knife you just draw a sripe line 3 or 4 times and pop it off like glass use a metal rule to do it st.

I can not tell you how much this has cut down on the dust in the shop.

I have Buds Pat but have yet to cut it out

Also RN shipped fast got mine in 2 days

al2888dj
08-27-2009, 10:42 AM
works really well ,also fast shipping ,easy to remove bits ,using the rock thanks rn

fwharris
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
works really well ,also fast shipping ,easy to remove bits ,using the rock thanks rn

Alex,

Thanks for the post!!

fwharris
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I wanted to give a f/u on RNs DC. Im now running 2 on my units

The fist thing is they work well barely anything left in a carve after 6 hrs. Even in Cedar which goes all over the place.

Picks up the heavy wood like Walnut and Cherry the same.

There was an issue with his cramp sys which he has already fixed whit a heavier hold down which once in place I have been able to change bits in the Rock without removing the DC hood.

This is a very lite hood, I had to remove a bit of my Door but was no problem using a lexan knife you just draw a sripe line 3 or 4 times and pop it off like glass use a metal rule to do it st.

I can not tell you how much this has cut down on the dust in the shop.

I have Buds Pat but have yet to cut it out

Also RN shipped fast got mine in 2 days

Hess,

Thanks for the update on the lock down system change and your input on that change!! Yes more stable for holding the insert in place.

And a very big THANKS for ordering your second insert!!

captainkidd
08-27-2009, 02:52 PM
What small DC systems are some of you running. Right now the closest thing I have for a DC system is a Sears Shop Vac which I do not want to sit there for hours running while I am carving, it would probably burn up by the anyway. I am eventually going to get a big Oneida Gorilla setup in my shop when I get it built. With that said I am thinking of just getting one of the small Squirl cage units $100-$200 that I can use for awhile as a DC for the Carvewright, along with some of my other power tools. Any experiences in what to get or what not to get?

Thanks

B.Kidd

DocWheeler
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
B_Kidd,

Here is an old thread (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=2334&highlight=cage) that could help you.

fwharris
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
What small DC systems are some of you running. Right now the closest thing I have for a DC system is a Sears Shop Vac which I do not want to sit there for hours running while I am carving, it would probably burn up by the anyway. I am eventually going to get a big Oneida Gorilla setup in my shop when I get it built. With that said I am thinking of just getting one of the small Squirl cage units $100-$200 that I can use for awhile as a DC for the Carvewright, along with some of my other power tools. Any experiences in what to get or what not to get?

Thanks

B.Kidd

CaptinKidd,

I have a 1HP 650 CFM Delta collector for my CW. It runs in the neighborhood of $200.00. I got a little better price than that at Lowe's as it was a floor model.

It does a great job with the CW when running both my down draft and top mount insert. I do not try to run other equipment with it while carving for a couple of reasons. One being I need to do some electrical re wiring to separate some circuits (isolate my CW) and the other is I do not think my low 650 CFM would support good dust collection for multiple tools at the same time.

If you are looking at one to use while the CW is running I would look for one that is at least 1000 CFM.. The is my best guess..

hess
08-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks

B.Kidd
Mine DC is an upright 2 HP about 1700 CFM I sure it is sold at HF for less than 200. I does suck well as well as sucking the power on startup

I have it on its own breaker at 30 amps

it has 4 inch inlets X 2 I run 2 CWs with DC hoods and DD tables and still have suck left over for thr planner or whatever

now with the rocks on it is the most noise making thing running

wasacop75
08-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I built a simple DD using a squirrel cage off of a furnace and a couple of furnace filters. It gets most of the dust out, just a little clean up after the carve. Need to do some modification to it to get a little more from it.
Simple 36" x 48" x 34" tall box on wheels....

hess
08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Was a Cop who you with? I ret DOJ