PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bit Sensor?????

lpcsales
03-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I've spent hours and two lengths of board trying to get this to finish just one project. Each time the first bit change comes up, I get the message "Clear Bit sensor" after I've changed the bit.

All the clearing in the workl has yet let this machine progress to the next step!

My question...How do you clear the bit sensor to it's liken?! I've cleaned it to where it can't be cleaned more.

What am I doing wrong?

nicobie
03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Good post Dave,

It's questions like this that will help us all.

I wish I knew the answer to your problem.

It seems like alot of my (newbie) problems go away by raising and then lowering the cutting assembly back down to where it was.

nic

Dan-Woodman
03-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey Dave
I keep getting ( clear bit sencer) when I'm trying to cut bevels at some angle other than 45 deg. All I could figure is it is not setup to do the operation. later Daniel, I ask this in another post.

lpcsales
03-18-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm finding that if I turn the machine off, go to the computer and in the same project file, remove the operation that did successfully complete from the project and start this one off with the router bit that it stopped on before, that it will now run that part of the job. Funny thing though, in this project, there were 3 bits used and, where the final one was to cut the board at both ends. Well, after it completed bit 2 operation, it asked for the 1/8" cutter...I loaded the cutter and guess what...."Please Clear Bit Sensor" message all over again. I could not go any further again.

It's beginning to look like there is a bug in either the firmware in the machine or in the code for the project file. If it truly was a matter of cleaning the bit sensor, then I would think it would not have let me do the second operation.

I'm still at a loss as to where the 'bit sensor' is located. I know where the bit sensor mirror is, but where the heck is the sensor. The manual states mirror AND sensor, implying 2 devices. The manual also says to refer to the 'Care and Maintenance' section in the manual for 'details' on how to clean the sensors..but guess what!...no mention of it at all.

unbelievable.

There's got to be a simple answer to this.

lpcsales
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Clear Bit problem solved!

I called LHR and spoke with David...on a Saturday even.. and he was extremely helpful. Thank you David!

Here's how to fix this problem and it is 'very' easy. The sensor is located at the base of the 'truck' they call it...I call it the stylus, but anyway, if you have your carving bit loaded, then look down at the tip and just behind it on the truck base. You will see what appears to be 1/2" dia. depression with two smaller holes, ~.125 dia. with in it. These 2 smaller holes are the infrared transmitter and receiver, AKA bit sensor. If you do not see them, then simply wipe the dust and grind away with your finger or a clean rag. They are there, believe me.

After having done this the machine started to work again...it's making chips as I write.

Also, when the truck is in the home position, the infrared xmitter's beam is bounced off of a mirror directly in front of it (at the home position), so make sure that this mirror is also clean.

Hope this helps...it helped me.

pkunk
03-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't have my machine yet-shipping Mon. Question..wouldn't these be kept cleaner if a shop vac were to be hooked up to keep the dust away? One could even make a flexy hood and hook it to a DC.

lpcsales
03-19-2006, 06:45 AM
I don't think so...this sensor is only an inch or so from the router bit. It gets the brunt of the chips and dust.

It's easy to clean off. Just knowing that its there and needs it is the key.

IBTech
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I was getting the Clear Bit Sensor error. I tried everything listed here and it continued. I finally noticed that there was no "mirror" across from the sensor at the home position. I ended up up making a "mirror" out of aluminum flashing and attaching it to the target area. I haven't had a problem since. I was going to call Carvewright, but it works so well, I think I'll just leave it be.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

yenne
03-23-2006, 12:37 AM
I finally noticed that there was no "mirror" across from the sensor at the home position.
I'll let Chris know that your mirror fell off. Sigh.

zack
04-04-2006, 07:58 PM
mirror? what mirror? i dont got no stinkin mirror. :( i was getting the same message, when i looked i couldnt find a mirror. i did find a small piece of clear acrylic the right size in my vaccuum. could this be "the mirror" ? :?

IBTech
04-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Yup, that would be your mirror. I goes right across from the router bit when it is in the "home" position (as far to the left as the carving head can go). It should be stuck to a silver rectangle of paper....the two of them make up the mirror.

I too lost the mirror and just created one using shiny aluminum flashing stuck to that same spot. I later found the clear plastic lens and just taped that over my custom mirror for good measure. I'm a little more careful now when vacuuming in that area. Haven't had any problems since my repair.