PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Michael T trout proj

rhausman
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Its only been a year since I ran Michael's trout program ... 1st time had major distortion in fish tails so ran it again, then fall gifting, CW crashes, etc., so was a little delayed since the project was just for me.

Am going to try and post results w/ attachment. Explanation: Used two sets of driftwood from project and 4 trout (all repaired by wife's touch with dremel) and river rocks from Tx Hill Country. Found some material from model train enthusiasts called 'Realistic Water' to cover base and make it look like flowing water. Wife painted two trout to model cutthroat and they are hugging the bottom, shy as ones I have worked to catch; two others are rainbows, much easier to catch. In fact, one is just about to grab a fly I tied for this display ...

In spite of all frustration I've experienced with CW all too frequent 'downages' the results I've realized from the gifted products makes it almost worth it. I still don't feel sufficiently trusting, however, to try and offer something to sell as I can never assure potential buyers that I can actually finish a commission!

Picture should be uploaded but can't assure anyone of proper size ... if it doesn't work, will try again later. r

SharonB
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
It might have taken you a year to post your trout project but you certainly did a very nice job. I especially like the "fly." Will have to keep that in mind when I run Michael's project again. GREAT JOB!
SharonB

mtylerfl
07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
WOW! Just saw your project and it came out great! I would love to see a larger photo if you have one (or two!) available.

Great work!

fwharris
07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Great looking trout project! Always glad to see more of these as it has become one of my favorites to do. Like you design layout and the 2 types of trout plus your idea with the fly! Let you wife know she did a real good job with the painting.

Im with Michael though, need bigger pictures!!!!

rhausman
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Okay, hopefully bigger pictures can come ... will try out some of the suggestions offered on earlier thread (complete with miniinstructional unit) and include front and back shots larger in size ... just taking a bit of time. Also appreciate the comments. r

rhausman
07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Okay, have tried a variety of resizing approaches and theoretically all pictures are slightly below 117KB ... shows rising rainbow trout in front of sunken wood, and another showing other side (rising trout behind wood) and a third showing the actual river rock covered base encased in "Realistic Water" compound. You kinda have to squint to actually see the deer hair fly that the rising trout is going for. (Pretend the thicker brass rod curving up from behind the fish and ending in a copper wire "tippit" is the heavier fishing line.) Hope it works ... if it doesn't show well, I give up. r

PCW
07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Very impressive and the water and rock idea is a great look.

fwharris
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
rhausman,

Picture sizes are great and thanks for taking the time to resize them. I will stay with my original comments in that this is another great trout project. I will also have to check out the realist water, it adds a real nice effect...

Kenm810
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Wow!!,

Thanks for Sharing, Nice project

rhausman
07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
FWHarris ... the Realistic Water is a soap/water cleanu product that is part of a wide variety of scenics materials used primarily by model train enthusiasts. Check out the following website: www.woodlandscenics.com. The have a "The Scenery Manual" specifically on woodland scenics and other sources. This is my first try at applying a new 'hobby' to another type of project, e.g., CW product. Will probably try some more applications that cross-reference hobbies but next I need to set up the project for my 9-yr-old grandson's two week summer visit at end of July/1st August: We are going to attempt to build him a real woodie motor boat from a kit I bought online! If I survive that, will be back with CW projects ... in fact, I may have to hit the CW blog up for a pattern to jazz his instrument panel up some (since I still haven't been successful making patterns with first carving by hand). Thanks for the compliment ... wife really appreciated you observation. rafa

fwharris
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the link to woodlands! We just had a Train museum open up and know I know how they did their scene work. I also did a search for the realistic waters and found several sources for it. It is on my list of things to try!!

Happy boating and soon you might even carve one!!

RayTrek
07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Rhausman and yours

Outstanding lay out, presentation, painting and use of nature, you two make a great team
The lager pics are a lot easier on these old eyes. Thanks for sharing your most excellent project with us
Cheers
Ray