PDA

View Full Version : Problem trying to do first carve

rogone
07-05-2009, 01:52 PM
First let me say that I have used the search feature but was not able to find an issue that matched what I am seeing (it may be there but I could not find it). I was in the process of setting up to do my first carving. I had the board loaded in the CW and the pattern loaded. I was first asked to select a vector bit (not sure what a "vector bit" is). The bit that came up was one that the project needed - a 1/2" ball nose bit. The CW moved the bit back and forth and up and down and then asked me to put in a 90 degree V bit. This bit also was moved back and forth and up and down with no problems. Then I was then asked to insert the 1/8" cutting bit. The bit was moved back and forth with no problems but at one point when it was lowered down to touch the board it got a z axis stall error 248. I've tried to do this again several times but when I get to the 1/8" cutting bit the same thing happens each time. Any help with trying to fiqure out what the problem is would be apprecitated. BTW: The board in designer is .75" and the actual board is just a small fraction smaller than this.

James RS
07-05-2009, 02:11 PM
If you can post the file that might help in adressing the issue

rogone
07-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I have attached the file if this helps.

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 02:29 PM
First let me say that I have used the search feature but was not able to find an issue that matched what I am seeing (it may be there but I could not find it). I was in the process of setting up to do my first carving. I had the board loaded in the CW and the pattern loaded. I was first asked to select a vector bit (not sure what a "vector bit" is). The bit that came up was one that the project needed - a 1/2" ball nose bit. The CW moved the bit back and forth and up and down and then asked me to put in a 90 degree V bit. This bit also was moved back and forth and up and down with no problems. Then I was then asked to insert the 1/8" cutting bit. The bit was moved back and forth with no problems but at one point when it was lowered down to touch the board it got a z axis stall error 248. I've tried to do this again several times but when I get to the 1/8" cutting bit the same thing happens each time. Any help with trying to fiqure out what the problem is would be apprecitated. BTW: The board in designer is .75" and the actual board is just a small fraction smaller than this.

Hello,

Sorry you're having trouble. Some things to check...

1) Make sure the bits are hitting the Bit Plate when homing (i.e., the bit plate must swing out all the way so the bit touches it properly)

2) Make sure the Z- Tension screw on top of the Z-Truck is tight (if it is loose, that can cause Z errors)

3) Verify that your bit adapter is FULLY seated in the chuck (use a mirror and a flashlight to confirm the two red marks line up after the bit has been inserted in the chuck)

4) Check the bit (the 1/8" in this case) to be sure the bit is absolutely tight in the adaptor (a loose bit will cause z errors)

5) Make sure your memory card has the latest firmware update

Hoping one of those may help you solve your problem.

rogone
07-05-2009, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=mtylerfl;95408]Hello,

1) Make sure the bits are hitting the Bit Plate when homing (i.e., the bit plate must swing out all the way so the bit touches it properly

Thanks mtylerfl. Is the Bit Plate the piece on the right side that pops in and out when the bit gets over by it? I don't recall with the other bits but the 1/8" cutter's side touches it but it does not come down and touch it with the end of the bit. Is that a problem?

ChrisAlb
07-05-2009, 02:55 PM
[quote=mtylerfl;95408]Hello,

1) Make sure the bits are hitting the Bit Plate when homing (i.e., the bit plate must swing out all the way so the bit touches it properly

Thanks mtylerfl. Is the Bit Plate the piece on the right side that pops in and out when the bit gets over by it? I don't recall with the other bits but the 1/8" cutter's side touches it but it does not come down and touch it with the end of the bit. Is that a problem?

The bit plate should come out far enough so all bits touch right in the center of it. Try cleaning around the pivot on that plate.

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 03:19 PM
[quote=mtylerfl;95408]Hello,

Almost sounds like the 1/8" bit is not mounted properly if the side of the bit hits the plate. Try what Chris said, first (lube the plate pivot). Funny it was working ok for your other bits and only the 1/8" seemed to be causing the problem, though.

If the 1/8" bit still hits the on the side of the plate after the plate is moving freely, then perhaps the bit is mounted too far out of the adaptor (or the adaptor is not seated properly in the chuck).

Keep us posted please.

rogone
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
[quote=rogone;95413]

The bit plate should come out far enough so all bits touch right in the center of it. Try cleaning around the pivot on that plate.

The bit plate comes part way out when the bit gets over by it but I can manually rotate it almost 90 degrees with not much effort. I have cleaned around it (thought there was not much there since I have never carve anything before on it). The 1/8" bit comes down next to it without touching and goes down about 1/2 way the length of the bit.

I have checked and everything is tight. The bit appears to be fully seated. Every time I put it in it goes to the same spot. The two red marks do not exactly line up but they don't when there is not bit in the chuck. I am running version 1.32 and flashed my memory card prior to loading the pattern. I checked the version in the CW and it was 1.32 also.

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 03:29 PM
[quote=ChrisAlb;95414]

The bit plate comes part way out when the bit gets over by it but I can manually rotate it almost 90 degrees with not much effort. I have cleaned around it (thought there was not much there since I have never carve anything before on it). The 1/8" bit comes down next to it without touching and goes down about 1/2 way the length of the bit.

I have checked and everything is tight. The bit appears to be fully seated. Every time I put it in it goes to the same spot. The two red marks do not exactly line up but they don't when there is not bit in the chuck.

You may have two problems - the bit plate not swinging out far enough (lube UNDER the plate at the pivot point with some dry lube - oil-based lube may gum it up). Some folks prop open the bit plate with a piece of styrofoam - I do not like that idea because it might mask another possible problem (like a bit adaptor not fully seated).

The other issue is that the red marks MUST be touching after the bit/adaptor assembly is installed in the chuck. The marks are not supposed to line up when there is no bit installed! That is by design. They will line up if a bit is properly inserted. Are the red marks at least "touching" - if not, do not run the machine without making sure you can get the bits fully seated in the chuck. I always verify with a mirror and flashlight at EVERY bit insertion - my motto: "Leave nothing to chance" ;)

ChrisAlb
07-05-2009, 03:47 PM
[quote=ChrisAlb;95414]

The bit plate comes part way out when the bit gets over by it but I can manually rotate it almost 90 degrees with not much effort.

I had this issue and found that the Y was moving weakly. It's the truck that actually hits the bit plate to swing it out. If anything is obstructing the Y movement over there, it won't push the plate all the way.

Turn the CW off and wait for a few seconds for the servo motors to release. Move the Truck by hand all the way to the bit plate side. Do you feel any resistance over there? Can you manually push the truck to move the bit plate out all the way?

If not....

1) Check that the Z motor isn't hitting the cut motor wires in the upper back corner of the cover.

2) Check that there are no chips or built up dust in the Y belt or cog wheels that drive it.

3) Move the truck back and forth by hand (power off), is it smooth all the way?

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Chris,

Thanks for suggesting those items to be checked as well. What I can't figure out is why he didn't have any problem during homing on the other bits but did have the issue only during homing of the 1/8"? (Made me start thinking something else was "up" with the 1/8" bit and not so much with the machine itself.)

Digitalwoodshop
07-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I feel left out.... I was going to suggest looking for wood chips in the Z Belt.... That might have caused the stall.

You do have the new Z Bundle?

AL

ChrisAlb
07-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Michael,

I don't see anywhere where he actually verified that all the bits did indeed touch the plate properly. Since he was asking "what & where the bit plate is", I'm going on the "assumption" that some or none of the bits actually touched it right.

All he said was the CW went up and down and back and forth but got the Z error when the 1/8 touched the wood. We don't really know if the plate was working properly throughout all that up & down and back & forth...lol

I've had instances when, because of those wires, the first bit or two didn't touch quite right but the next couple did because the Z motor had moved the wires out of the way.

I'm just guessing here but that's where I'd start.....;)

his quote...

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I thought he was saying the 1/2 ballnose and the V-bit homed alright and that the 1/8" was the "troublesome one".

In any case, he should check everything anyway! I think he also said it was his first carve, so I didn't think there would be any woodchips - BUT, ya never know - maybe the machine was tested before being boxed up and a woodchip fell into the wrong place.

Again - check everything.;)

"Leave Nothing To Chance"

ChrisAlb
07-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Well he did mention in his first post that the CW asked for the 1/2 ball nose and that the project called for it but never said anything about it hitting the plate which, before you asked him that, I think he wasn't aware of.

At any rate, my bet is the cut motor wires which is why I listed it first. Chips and dust was just in case it wasn't/isn't the wires.

I think we've ALL had those wires getting in the way on a "new" machine at some point....LOL He's been a member here since Nov. 07 so I'm assuming he bought one back then and it's been sitting around maybe? The CW's from that time almost always had that wire issue. Mine certainly did at any rate.

rogone
07-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, I finally got it to run. After pushing the truck over manually (it moved smoothly) several times and pushing until the bit plate came out far enough it finally started carving. I finished carving all the interior design but I think it used the wrong bit for one part. Is there a way to have it go back over an area and do it with a different bit (in designer it was supposed to use a bull nose bit but it carved with the cutting bit instead).

Michael T, the 1/8" cutting bit is not apparently seating all the way. The red marks do not align. I have tried putting it in several different ways with no change. What are the options to try and get the bit to seat?

ChrisAlb
07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Well, I finally got it to run. After pushing the truck over manually (it moved smoothly) several times and pushing until the bit plate came out far enough it finally started carving. I finished carving all the interior design but I think it used the wrong bit for one part. Is there a way to have it go back over an area and do it with a different bit (in designer it was supposed to use a bull nose bit but it carved with the cutting bit instead).

Michael T, the 1/8" cutting bit is not apparently seating all the way. The red marks do not align. I have tried putting it in several different ways with no change. What are the options to try and get the bit to seat?

It should have asked for the 1/16" carving bit last when you started the process. It does all the "carvings" first and then any other bit parts. So the 1/16 carving bit should have been in the machine when the carving first started. You may have missed that prompt?

Make sure the screws on the bit holder for the 1/8 are tight and not sticking out too far. If one of them is loose and sticking out, that could prevent the QC from closing properly (red marks align) on that bit.

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes - also make sure that the 1/8" bit "flat" is centered over where the setscrews are located in the adaptor. This means heating the adaptor to loosen the LocTite, unscrewing the setscrews, and checking the bit for proper mounting (check your owner's manual for a guideline to bit mounting). Clean the Loctite from the setscrew threads, apply new Blue Loctite and tighten the setscrews again. (I like to let the LocTite set overnight before using a newly mounted bit.)

rogone
07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I tried tightening the screws but they won't budge. One does stick out slightly more than the other. I tried putting several other bits in and in none of the cases did the red marks align. This would seem to point to some kind of problem with the chuck vs the bits. Any ideas?

rogone
07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
It should have asked for the 1/16" carving bit last when you started the process. It does all the "carvings" first and then any other bit parts. So the 1/16 carving bit should have been in the machine when the carving first started. You may have missed that prompt?

Make sure the screws on the bit holder for the 1/8 are tight and not sticking out too far. If one of them is loose and sticking out, that could prevent the QC from closing properly (red marks align) on that bit.

Chris, it did start the carving with the 1/16" bit but when it got to the point of carving part of the design that should have called for the bull nose bit it called for the cutting bit. I thought at the time that it was going to do the overall cut out before carving this last part but it didn't.

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I tried tightening the screws but they won't budge. One does stick out slightly more than the other. I tried putting several other bits in and in none of the cases did the red marks align. This would seem to point to some kind of problem with the chuck vs the bits. Any ideas?

To insert a bit, it requires that you lift up the QC collar (called "cocking"). It will twist slightly as you lift. Insert the bit and the collar should snap down by itself, securely holding the bit. You can "help it" by giving it a slight twist in the opposite direction of travel from when you lifted the collar. Normally, you will hear a distinct "snap" when the bit is inserted.

However, hearing a "snap" doesn't guarantee that the bit is fully seated - always check to make sure the Red Marks are aligned after the bit insertion EVERY time you insert a bit and at EVERY bit swap during a project run. Doing so will make certain that you won't have problems related to bit seating issues.

Here are a couple photos I just took for you. One shows what the Red Marks look like when the QC is "cocked" and ready to receive a bit...the other photo shows my 1/8" Cutting Bit installed and illustrates how the Red Marks should align with each other. This is what the marks should look like when you have a fully seated bit.

I am so very sorry you are having trouble! I hope the suggestions presented by us are helpful for you.

rogone
07-05-2009, 07:41 PM
To insert a bit, it requires that you lift up the QC collar (called "cocking"). It will twist slightly as you lift. Insert the bit and the collar should snap down by itself, securely holding the bit. You can "help it" by giving it a slight twist in the opposite direction of travel from when you lifted the collar. Normally, you will hear a distinct "snap" when the bit is inserted.

However, hearing a "snap" doesn't guarantee that the bit is fully seated - always check to make sure the Red Marks are aligned after the bit insertion EVERY time you insert a bit and at EVERY bit swap during a project run. Doing so will make certain that you won't have problems related to bit seating issues.

Here are a couple photos I just took for you. One shows what the Red Marks look like when the QC is "cocked" and ready to receive a bit...the other photo shows my 1/8" Cutting Bit installed and illustrates how the Red Marks should align with each other. This is what the marks should look like when you have a fully seated bit.

I am so very sorry you are having trouble! I hope the suggestions presented by us are helpful for you.

Thanks Michael T. The suggestions have been helpful. I finally got the carving started so that is some amount of success.

I have tried twisting the bit and the collet while it is cocked and after releasing it to no avail. It seems like the bit does not want to go all the way into the collet. When I let go of the collet the bit does seem to be locked in. I can't pull or push it and make it move, but the red lines don't line up. As I mentioned earlier I have tried several other bits with no success in getting the red marks to line up.

On a seperate note, I have not turned off the CW since starting this project. If I turn it off will the machine remember where it was before I turned it off or will have have to put together a new panel and start over?

mtylerfl
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks Michael T. The suggestions have been helpful. I finally got the carving started so that is some amount of success.

I have tried twisting the bit and the collet while it is cocked and after releasing it to no avail. It seems like the bit does not want to go all the way into the collet. When I let go of the collet the bit does seem to be locked in. I can't pull or push it and make it move, but the red lines don't line up. As I mentioned earlier I have tried several other bits with no success in getting the red marks to line up.

Something seems definitely wrong there - I can't think of any reason why you cannot get any of the bits to seat properly. Call CarveWright Tech Support for assistance Be aware that Mondays (and especially Mondays after a holiday weekend) might make it difficult to get through to the Techs.

On a seperate note, I have not turned off the CW since starting this project. If I turn it off will the machine remember where it was before I turned it off or will have have to put together a new panel and start over?

The machine will forget everything if the power is turned off. However, you can press the Stop button (ONCE) and resume the project exactly where it left off by pressing the Enter button when you want it to start up again. It makes me a little concerned for you if the Red Marks are not aligning though - I would probably wait until I talked to Tech Support to resolve the bit seating issues before trying to run any projects.

rogone
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I'll try calling them tomorrow.

ChrisAlb
07-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Chris, it did start the carving with the 1/16" bit but when it got to the point of carving part of the design that should have called for the bull nose bit it called for the cutting bit. I thought at the time that it was going to do the overall cut out before carving this last part but it didn't.

Cut outs are ALWAYS done last. Wouldn't make much sense to cut the part out and then go back to carving / Routing on a loose piece.

As to why it asked for the 1/8 cut bit instead of the 1/2 ball nose? I have no clue?? When you're on the phone with LHR, be sure to mention this.

mtylerfl
07-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I received this from LHR Tech Support a couple years ago regarding project sequence of events. Sometimes handy to refer to...

Carving/Cutting Order Sequence
The sequence of carving, cutting and routing is controlled by the software in order to reduce the number of bit changes, minimize motion in the X direction (the slowest axis), and generally increase quality and speed.

Machine procedure usually follows this order:

1) raster carvings
2) vector carvings
3) drill holes
4) cut-outs
5) then edge routs, if present

Two-Sided Projects
Generally the procedure is any back of board carvings are performed first, then the front face, since cut-outs apply only to the front face.

eromran
07-06-2009, 09:44 AM
If you look at Micheals pictures above is yours flat across like the second picture or is it raised a little like the first if its raised try fully cocking it and see if you feel any burr or rough area on the raised area. I had some and easily smoothed it out instead of having a down machine waiting on part also a little 3 in 1 oil and snapping it several times hep in seating it.

rogone
07-06-2009, 09:04 PM
If you look at Micheals pictures above is yours flat across like the second picture or is it raised a little like the first if its raised try fully cocking it and see if you feel any burr or rough area on the raised area. I had some and easily smoothed it out instead of having a down machine waiting on part also a little 3 in 1 oil and snapping it several times hep in seating it.

The screws are sticking out some on both sides. I tried inserting 4 other bits (1 carving and 3 router) and in no case did the red marks line up. I tried calling CW today but after being on hold for 45 minutes my lunch time was up and I had to hang up. I'll try again tomorrow.

How hard is it to remove the chuck? If I could remove it I might have a better chance of seeing what the problem is. If its not to hard to get off does anybody have instructions or can point me to where I can find some?

Thanks to everybody for your help.

PCW
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
You might find this link helpful in removing the chuck.
http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,440

fwharris
07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
The screws are sticking out some on both sides. I tried inserting 4 other bits (1 carving and 3 router) and in no case did the red marks line up. I tried calling CW today but after being on hold for 45 minutes my lunch time was up and I had to hang up. I'll try again tomorrow.

How hard is it to remove the chuck? If I could remove it I might have a better chance of seeing what the problem is. If its not to hard to get off does anybody have instructions or can point me to where I can find some?

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Try this link. Michael just posted it in the troubleshooting thread...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=95313&postcount=1

rogone
07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, I finally got through to customer service. They referenced me to the file "Care and Maintenance of Your CarveWright’s Quick Release Chuck" and thought I probably only needed to lubricate the chuck. I have been lubricating the chuck everywhere I can get to. The above manaul above says that when you **** the chuck it should stay up but mine does not. When I let go it drops. After lubing and working the chuck for some time the red marks appear to basically line up when its in the released position and the inner part of the chuck rotates counter clockwise when the outer part in pulled up and the marks seperate. When I look at a bit in place it appears that the two screws should be further up into the chuck to allow the inner and outer parts to rotate in relation to each other. This happens with no bit in place but does not when the bit is in. This is becomming very frustrating, especially for a machine that has never been used to carve anything until now. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I am trying to finish up a bed for my granddaughter and this is keeping from moving forward.

PCW
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Roger

I have had nothing but good experience with the aftermarket Rock Chuck and it solved alot of problems for me. There is a tread (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11511)on this subject if you want to check it out. Good Luck

Try holding the quick chuck in the up position while inserting the adapter then pull the outer sleeve down. The 3 BB is all that hold the adapter in place but the chuck needs to be seated all the way down to lock it.