PDA

View Full Version : new calibration options

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Is there any instructions out somewhere about the new calibration options? I tried to calibrate the belts just now because the machine gives me a lenght of 12.9" on a board that measure 15". When the machine was cutting the groove with the 3/8" straight bit, it went several passes until it dig into the adjustable guide...:confused:What's up with that???

Now I'm stuck with a machine that can't measure the lenght of a board properly. Is it too much to ask to have proper instructions ready and published BEFORE new options or calibration procedures are released? I know I'm not the only one stuck with this situation. What are we supposed to do? revert to older versions of the control software?

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Well, I'll be.... As far as I know after doing some searches in the forums, no hints about the new calibrations that I could find.
But in this obscure corner (http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Maintenence/Carvewright_User_Calibration.pdf) of the CW website there is the new calibration procedures document.... Was there any announcement about this?
Apologies for my earlier rant.

Kenm810
07-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Lol, Found the .pdf, But ya beat to it. :wink:

DocWheeler
07-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Pratyeka,

Thanks, even support did not know about this when I called a month or so ago. Kinda shows how fast LHR is moving in some direction:confused:
I hope that they can get it together in the near future as I love what the machine itself can do.

James RS
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
So according to a page out of this document, you need the 3/8" jointer bit also

Basic Sensor Calibration
Basic calibration will calibrate two things: the thickness sensor (which is used to
determine the top surface of the workpiece) and the board edge sensor (which is
used to find the edges of the workpiece). You will need the following items in order to
complete the basic sensor calibration:
• A straight, flat, board with a width of 3” or wider, a length 18” or longer, and a
thickness between 1/2" and 1”.
• The 3/8” jointing bit
• The 1/8” cutting bit

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Are these instructions any good if you are using the newest version, 1.15?? Have they changed any of the calibration procedures??

liquidguitars
07-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I posted this as to Doc's request on calabration last month.

use at yuor own risk..

From LHR:

Basic Calibration

Basic calibration will calibrate two things: the depth sensor and the board sensor. Follow the steps listed below to calibrate the depth and board sensors.

Items you will need to complete the calibration:
• A straight board with a width of 3” or wider, a length 3 feet or longer, and a thickness between Ό - 1”.
• The 3/8” jointing bit
• The 1/8” cutting bit

Start the machine and enter the “Calibrate Offsets” menu.
Reset Calibration
Press (1) to reset the current calibration. You will be prompted as shown:

Press “Yes” (1) to reset the calibration.

Calibrate depth
Press (2) to begin the depth calibration. You must select a board with a thickness between Ό” and 1”, and enough length to sit under the rollers. Measure the thickness as accurately as you can. Measure the board on the edge facing the keypad, as this is where the machine reads the depth. Load the board under the rollers and set the sliding plate.
The machine will prompt you to enter the board thickness. Enter a decimal point and up to 3 digits, or a fraction. Press enter.

The machine will move to the home position and request the 1/8” cutting bit. Open the cover, insert the bit and press enter.

The board will move under the rollers and request a jog position. Use the arrows to jog to the part of the board where you made your measurement. It must be at most ½” from the edge of the board farthest away from the keypad, as the machine touches twice.
The machine will touch the board and measure the thickness against the sliding plate.

If the machine returns to the calibration menu, it completed successfully. If an error is displayed, re-measure the board and repeat the process again.

Calibrate sensors
Press (3) to begin the Sensor Calibration. Load the long board under the rollers and set the sliding plate.
The machine will move to the home position and request the 3/8” jointing bit. Insert the bit and press enter. The machine will measure the width of the board.
The machine will make an initial cut at the left end of board as you face the keypad. A sensor measurement is taken at the edge of the cut. Small cuts are taken within the initial cut, and measurements are made off them.
The machine will then drop the bit into the hole of the sliding plate and make a series of small cuts on the edge, re-measuring after each cut.
The machine will then drop the bit into the hole next to the keypad and make a series of small cuts on the edge, re-measuring after each cut.
If the machine returns to the calibration menu, it completed successfully. Otherwise an error is displayed. If so, you should repeat the process again with a new board.

Advanced calibration

If you upgrade or otherwise make a significant change to your machine, you may need to perform an advanced calibration. This should only be done if you have replaced the traction belt and/or aux roller with a different style/type as the factory calibration is the most accurate.

First, follow the steps above in the section Basic Calibration.

Items you will need to complete the Advanced Calibration:
• A straight board with a width of 3” or wider, a length 3 feet or longer, and a thickness between Ό - 1”.
• The 3/8” jointing bit

Press (4) to begin the Belt Calibration. Load the long board under the rollers and set the sliding plate. The board must be 36” or longer. Calibrating longer boards will result in more accurate machine adjustments.

The machine will move to the home position and request the 3/8” jointing bit. Insert the bit and press enter.

LG

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok, I went through all the calibrations, except #5 which has to do with the special jig for the race car. I'm using ver. 1.15

I followed the .pdf instructions to the letter, starting with #1, reset cal.
Then move to #2, 3 and 4.

Make sure your boards are precise, flat, straight, square, no notches, no dents... in other words: PERFECT on all sides.

When doing #4, once the motor has started, DO NOT PRESS STOP. I did and the motor kept on running.... very scary. I had to turn the machine off.

Since my belt calibration was way off, the machine measured my 37" long board as less than 36" and kept telling me to use a board at least 36" long...

I put a piece of masking tape on one end to make it appear longer.

I redid the belt calibration after the first successful attempt, this time without the masking tape. Now the machine can measure lenght within .020" on a 37" board and within .010" in Y for a 5.5" board.

Save the board you just made in #4 belt cal, you can re-use it next time you do this calibration as the machine ask you if you are using the same board with the notches done already.

I then did a test pattern of 5 concentric rectangles, 1" difference between each. There was a slight drift between the rectangles, cause I think by a slight bow in the board I used... the roller sensor is more prone to lose contact with the underside of the board than I thought. Even using masking tape did not help. I will try other ideas about this roller sensor.

Other than that, the new calibrations work. Just don't jump any steps, start at the first then work your way to #4.

liquidguitars
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
When doing #4, once the motor has started, DO NOT PRESS STOP. I did and the motor kept on running.... very scary. I had to turn the machine off.

I got hung up on this on 2 its not stop but says something like " use same board" so its not a error..

LG

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I got hung up on this on 2 its not stop but says something like " use same board" so its not a error..

Sorry, I meant that during the procedure, while the motor is running I had to press stop to take a look and the motor did not stop, the Z truck stopped moving, but the motor kept on running. I did this twice. During normal carving the stop switch work normally.

liquidguitars
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh..

Lg

liquidguitars
07-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Fw 1.150.0767 ?

Lg

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 05:31 PM
yep... call me courageous... call me foolish....

Digitalwoodshop
07-05-2009, 05:38 PM
And releasing it on a Holiday weekend... No Tech Support for a few days.... :cool:

AL