PDA

View Full Version : eradic depth of cut

wiwoods
07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I just cut a board with a pattern which I mirrored to go around the board at a depth of .o8. Well it seemed about right on the left side of the board almost none on the right. Is my y-truck off or something?

AskBud
07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I just cut a board with a pattern which I mirrored to go around the board at a depth of .o8. Well it seemed about right on the left side of the board almost none on the right. Is my y-truck off or something?

Eight Hundredths is not very deep (less than a Tenth of an Inch).
Were you "Staying under the rollers"? If not, the board may have tipped due to uneven roller pressure and/or outer supports set incorrectly. Your board could also be the source of the problem if it was not parallel top & bottom.

I would look at those items before I look to machine issues.
AskBud

wiwoods
07-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I went out and measured the board and it was true. I put it on my jointer table and it was flat as the table so I measured it and it was 11/16 all the way across. Ok so my thickness sander is working. I took it back and routed the edge all the way around and the same think deeper on the left than the right. So I know that it is the machine so as I am inspecting the machine I notice that both feed rollers are way to the left and then I looked left and saw it both belts moved left and rolled up just enough like 3/32" to raise the left side of the board. So now I get to pull it apart again and see if the belts will still work or what. I just put in a new z.truck so this should be a bit easier. Mike

Digitalwoodshop
07-04-2009, 07:55 PM
The leading cause of rolled belts is putting wood on the machine at an angle. Always double check as you butt the wood up to the left side guide and brass roller.

Also install a board and use the options and Z Data and touch the left and right side of the board. This could tell you if the head is NOT LEVEL.

To fix a un level head remove the bottom and one side of the 90 degree gear.

AL:mrgreen:

mtylerfl
07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
The leading cause of rolled belts is putting wood on the machine at an angle...:mrgreen:

Another possible cause is that the sliding plate is pushed too tight against the board. TIP: Temporarily place two playing cards (or a business card or two) between the sliding plate and the board to act as a "spacer" when pushing the plate against the board edge.