PDA

View Full Version : My first and last message

dhegyi
07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Words cannot adequately express my disappointment. The CompuCarve I bought just one week ago with the highest of hopes has been returned to Sears.

At just 6 hours the 1/8 cutting bit broke, ruining my grandson's round box (adapted from the free round box project available on CarveBuddy.com):(. Sears replaced the bit at no charge, however when I tried to run it again both the 1/16 carving bit and the 1/8 cutting bit broke. Besides that while carving the back of the project I got first a Y-axis stall then a Z-axis stall and then finally a board thickness measurement error - it suddenly became too thick to cut. All this on 3/4 inch thick pine boards.

Last but not least the carving was all over the board and very poor quality. So finally with just 7 hrs and 32 min on the machine, I threw in the towel. When I showed the wood to the guy at Sears, they processed my return without question. I have also uninstalled the software from my computer.

I will keep watching and hoping that they are able to produce a more reliable and durable machine in the future. When that happens, rest assured that I will be first in line to purchase it.

Goodbye for now. I hope to be back soon.

jab73180
07-03-2009, 08:44 PM
you didnt give it much of a try. you should try and use the forum to fix the problems, or even get a new machine from sears. a lot of great people here willing and able to help.

Jeff_Birt
07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I suspect that after only having the machine a week you had not really learned how to use it. Bits breaking are usually a sign of improper project layout or using too short a board to keep it under the roller at all times. I've had my machine more than two years now and have not broken a bit yet. (I have broken a bunch of 1/8" 'V' bits on my Taig trying to dial in on the optimum feed/speed/depth for engraving aluminum.)

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I have over 1000 carving hours between my 3 machines and I only broke one bit when after cleaning the machine I left the head in the down position and shoved a new board into the machine and it struck the 1/8 inch cutting bit and snapped it off.

I agree.. It's all about learning and knowing the machine.... Too short a board, poor quality wood loosing contact with the brass roller.... Board tipping up only being held by one roller loosing contact with the brass roller and then breaking the bit.....

Sorry you gave up.

AL

Dan-Woodman
07-03-2009, 10:43 PM
and don't forget the " forgot to put the decimal point in the number".
later Daniel

badger
07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Its amazing to see someones #1 post and its about how they are returning the machine.

The first post should have been, hey guys im having trouble doing this and heres the image of how it turned out. Any suggestions.

Trust me dhegyi, they would have started pouring in. Posting about how you hate the machine and its a piece of junk isnt going to get you much around here. Its been proven that the machine does work but only if you spend the time reading these post and asking for help when you need it.

Numerous people not paid by LHR have spent many hours of their own time putting together fantastic tips either written or in video form for all to use here. All that is needed is a machine and a user that is willing to put in some of their own time to view these tips.

Otherwise your just wasting your time and money.

BBrooks
07-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad experience but I have to agree with all the previous. I've got 120 hours on my CW and have cut out a lot of pine, oak and walnut without ever breaking a bit. If a carving bit was broken there is either a serious flaw with that particular machine (not all of them) or a serious operator error.
cheers,

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 05:23 AM
I have to agree, perhaps you gave up too easily. My baby will be two in August 09 and I have "almost" 600 cut hours on it. I have never once broken a bit and although they're a tad worn, I still have the original carving and cutting bits.

Not that it needs it but, If you're waiting for some huge jump in the technology before you try again, I fear you'll miss the chance to do something nice for your grandson as he'll be grown or you'll be gone.

Knowledge and patience are the keys here.....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

ajk
07-04-2009, 06:44 AM
I Agree With All. I Can Tell Probably I Am The One With Less Experiece In All Of That . We Broke About Two Cutting Bit. We Post About 100 Times Looking For Help And Always We Get. We Use A Lot Of Wood And I Will Like To Show You That With Perseverance And All This Forum You Will Get. This Is My Last And I Did About Ten Times To Get. THIS WAS MY SON PRESENT.

rickyz
07-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I understand your frustration. When I first bought my compucarve from sears, I was having all sorts of problems with it. axis stalls, errors, all sorts of stuff. I have never used a cnc type machine before and there is a huge learning curve for this stuff. It is definitely not a plug and play machine. I actually wound up letting it sit for almost a year. working on my muscle cars and other projects. then the carve bug decided to hit me again. it's amazing how much information is out there after a year went by. I purchased a few patterns and projects from the carvewright store and was amazed at what this machine can do. there is a lot of maintenance to the machine. cleaning dust, lubrication, etc. the guys on this forum are so awesome I couldn't keep my machine running without them. if you decide to try it again, read all you can about troubleshooting, maintenance, the pattern depot, any information you can get your hands on. I love this machine now but I was one dissatisfied customer in the beginning. the carvewright people at lhr are very helpful. now, I get people at my work asking for stuff all the time. Someday I just hope to give back to the all the great people that have helped me.

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Someday I just hope to give back to the all the great people that have helped me.

You just did....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kenm810
07-04-2009, 11:22 AM
A Quote from February 2007

"I read many of the Troubling posts on this forum before buying my machine.
And I knew there have been several problems along the way and I can only hope there will be fewer in the future.
Many of us admit it is a leap of faith owning one of these machines and will try to stand by our choice.
Sadly some will fall away, but as long as we can get help from CarveWright and the support of all the fine members of this forum.
I for one will keep making as much sawdust and as many chips as I can."

That's the way I felt back then when I first posted it, -- I still do ----- and I'm still Here! :cool:

sweliver
07-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Words cannot adequately express my disappointment. The CompuCarve I bought just one week ago with the highest of hopes has been returned to Sears.

At just 6 hours the 1/8 cutting bit broke, ruining my grandson's round box (adapted from the free round box project available on CarveBuddy.com):(. Sears replaced the bit at no charge, however when I tried to run it again both the 1/16 carving bit and the 1/8 cutting bit broke. Besides that while carving the back of the project I got first a Y-axis stall then a Z-axis stall and then finally a board thickness measurement error - it suddenly became too thick to cut. All this on 3/4 inch thick pine boards.

Last but not least the carving was all over the board and very poor quality. So finally with just 7 hrs and 32 min on the machine, I threw in the towel. When I showed the wood to the guy at Sears, they processed my return without question. I have also uninstalled the software from my computer.

I will keep watching and hoping that they are able to produce a more reliable and durable machine in the future. When that happens, rest assured that I will be first in line to purchase it.

Goodbye for now. I hope to be back soon.

The machine and a few extras is easily a $2k investment. Add to that the 18 months I've spent doing nothing but "test' designs and gift signs/plaques/lithos vs working the usual 2nd job to "afford my toys". It's a year and a half and this machine is still not making me a penny as planned but it's provided many excellent gifts.

One recomendation I'd make is for any new user to start small. Try to duplicate the instructional projects first. Much like the old Mel Bay guitar instructionals....start by learning "Three Blind Mice", "Old McDonald Had A Farm", etc. Sounds corny but....

dhegyi, don't be discouraged, some, OK ALL, of the senior members on this forum make it look easy. I consider myself a half way decent woodwoorker and this machine kicks my butt and still opens up a lot of possibilities for me. I can't imagine how long it would take to learn the G Code for CAD vs plugging and playing the CW.

And, after all my trials and tribulations, I'm actually looking to add a another CC/CW to my arsenal.

Don't give up

sw

jeff412
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I will not jump on the "user error" bandwagon here. Granted, this machine has a very steep learning curve, but it has some serious flaws also. Some people here have been very fortunate and never broken a bit. I'm not one of those. I have recently broken 8 cutting bits. That's $320 worth of bits in the last few months. And LHR wouldn't even replace one for me. I did request it after we determined the problem. I carved about 50 hours before I broke the first one and didn't get 3 hours in before I had broken 8 bits. I changed the RPM sensor, QC twice, and the Z-truck trying to find the problem. I was very frustrated and ready to toss it in the dumpster. Finally I got a good chuck and I am once again happy with my machine. I guess what I'm saying is, "Try to figure out why you are breaking bits and get it fixed." When the machine is working properly, it is a lot of fun.

Jeff

miragese
07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I will be the first to admit I was ready to put mine on Ebay. I have been reading the forums, private messages with senior members. I still get discourages. Learning the software for me is very hard. I just keep making the projects in the tips an tricks and then personalize them. I thank you all for your help. Look forward to the day when I can come up with idea and just design and carve. I have to do something to learn. I have tried reading but just does not make sense. Just keep reading what others are doing and how and apply. If can't find what you need ASK.

chop
07-05-2009, 09:39 AM
i to get upset with my cw with some of the errors i get but i stay calm and look in the forum and have always found the fix of my problem thanks to all who post their wisdom on the forum

pkunk
07-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Us Beta testers took the real 'leap of faith' back in Carvewright's beginnings and many of us spent long hours on the phone with the engineers & software developers trying to get this machine to work as designed. Was it frustrating? Sometimes.:) I didn't buy mine to make $$ with (although I have), but for the fun of it and to add to my other woodworking toys and skills. Look at my join date. I've been here since the beginning.

myshop1044
07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I just read some comments about breaking cutting bits and here is my story.
For about a year I didn't think you could break a cutting bit, then it happen, total shock. ( no error on the key pad)I bought another and it happen again within a few weeks. this time I beleive it was my fault, since I was cutting out some coasters (1/2" thick) and I believe I used some double stick tape under the board on my sled and the bit may have gotten tangle up in the tape as it was cuting thru.
so I got another one and low and behold with no tape same thinkness it happen again. I wrote to Cw and ask to buy just the cutting bit without the adapter and I was told it came fom the factory as is.
Well I went back and looked at the 2 newest cutting bits with adapters and
(see attached )is a pic of them together and who ever loaded them into the adapters didn't do a a very good job. They were not set a the same depth and I also notice the bits didn't seem to be made the same.Different tapper,
Long story short I even offered to sign a wavier if they would sell just cutting bit to me at a reduced price. I have 2 adapters in hand and no way to
use them.
Maybe we could convince CW to change thie outlook on the problem, I'm getting very gun shy on using the cuthpath option any more.

any coments fellows

myshop1044
07-05-2009, 01:47 PM
here it is now

Digitalwoodshop
07-05-2009, 04:33 PM
For broken bits, I would check head level, replace the sand paper belts, use masking tape and I bet that stops the broken bits....
AL

myshop1044
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
thanks for the suggestions,
1- how do you check the head level and what does it have to do with the bits performance.
2 - I have new sand paper on the machine.
3- How is the making tape used and how does effect the bit.
still looking for answers.

Myshop1044

AskBud
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
thanks for the suggestions,
1- how do you check the head level and what does it have to do with the bits performance.
2 - I have new sand paper on the machine.
3- How is the making tape used and how does effect the bit.
still looking for answers.

Myshop1044
1) If the head is not level, the cut will not be constant across the board.
1A) Take two pieces of material (perhaps 2" stock) that when place side by side are exactly the same height. Place them on the sandpaper on each side (keyboard & non-keyboard). Have then long enough the lie under both rollers.
Place a Card on top (under each roller) and lower the head until you begin to see no daylight between a roller & the card (keep checking each one as you're looking for the first touch). Now, if they all look the same see if the cards all have the same tension as you try to remove them. If you see "Lots" of daylight somewhere, before they all touch, you know you need to adjust the head.

3) Masking tape, on the bottom (just a couple strips the length of the board helps keep traction. One piece under the Keyboard edge helps the Brass roller do its work on hard/slick boards. If the Brass roller does not move correctly, you have all sorts of possible errors. The harder the board, the more you need to consider tape.
AskBud

rjustice
07-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I wrote to Cw and ask to buy just the cutting bit without the adapter and I was told it came fom the factory as is.

There are a couple options for you in this regard. If you like the QC and want to keep it on your machine, I make and sell 1/8 bit adapters for the QC, which will allow you to use straight shank 1/8" cut out bits, which i also sell. The bits are $25 without the adapter, and perform extremely well. Many have reported that they are holding up better than the CW bits.

If you are having trouble breaking bits, it could also be related to the chuck. If the bits are not locking in well, and they begin to wobble, you will snap them off as well.

Consider killing two birds with one Rock...the new "Rock Chuck" that i have produced will solve both potential problems for you. It will eliminate the possibility of loose bits, and allow you to purchase just the bits in a 1/8 shank saving you $14 per bit.

See the links in my signature below for more info if you are interested.

Thanks Much!,

Ron

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
A little off topic on the guy with the problems but i had bit problems too, i gave up on the 1/8 after breaking two new ones on simple cut paths. I just run the 1/16 on a shallow outline and cut with the bandsaw.

rjustice-- Now im out of warranty im sure i will be checking out your products next time i need parts. I've read rave reviews.

For the guy that gave up on his machine: Why dont you at least try an exchange on the machine. I got one with severe problems when i first started out and was seriously angry after doing the two hour drive to pick up and back and forth. I gave it one more shot and got another. User errors aside, i havnt had any problems for 300 hours and after learning experiences i am very happy. Good luck on your venture. Matt.

fosterdan
07-06-2009, 12:35 AM
IDK, I'm having new tool issues too but I'm not giving up. If there was a competitor offering a competing product at this price point then I'm afraid CW would be in for a battle. But the way I see it is it's a monopoly for them. Even more so if you're a Mac user like me. The capabilities of this machine outweigh the maintenance. With that said I think it should be somehow advocated that this is NOT a plug-and-play machine. But how do you do that without killing marketing? I think CW would do a lot for their reliability and image if the took the Festool approach and built in a superior dust collection system with vacuum. And why aren't the rubber rollers part of the baseline product?

cestout
07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
on my first CompuCarve I replaces half the components under CarveWright, and after a year and some I needed calibration - mostly X access. Instead of fixing it, Sears replaced it. This one runs better than the first ever did - but then I know more about maintaining it.
Clint

Pasa
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I have spent over $ 800.00 in repairs on my CW in the last year. Does the maintenance ever stop? This is a very high costly machine to operate. Seems like every two or three projects it breaks.

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Well,

You dragged out a 2009 post to bring along a bunch of post to support your dissapointment.... sorry about that.....

I bought $700.00 in parts in Jan 2009 for my 3 now 4 machines..... Thousands of Hours later and 2 Years Later and I have used very few of them....

In the current configuration the machine is very reliable.... There are Consumables on the machine.... The flat FFC Cable that can flex only so many times before the thin copper snaps inside the cable.... And the Y Gear box Bearings..... Every 450 Hours..... And Cut Motor Brushes... Every 250.... And Sand Paper Belts.... Every year or so....

Many things that happen are Pilot Error or QC Vibration Issues that the Rock or CT Fix....

This is a machine that you need to "WANT to FIX".

This machine is NOT for Everyone..... Just like Brewing your own BEER is NOT for ME.... Or Changing my own OIL.... Not for me..... My Belly rubs on the Fenders riding the Car Creeper under the 96 Certified Clunker Ford Explorer.... When I was Younger... YES.... I was on my back changing my Oil and Water Pump in San Diego on my 83 5.0 Mustang in 1991 when the first Gulf War Started..... In San Diego they played the TOP GUN Music....

So if your not ready for the Challenge then we understand.... If you ARE UP for the Challenge and need the Help and Encouragement... Well, We are HERE to HELP....

Good Luck in your decision.... And remember EVERY ERROR you WILL HAVE, Thousands of use before you have had the very same thing....

READ TIPS and TRICKS..... Lots of Pilot Error stuff in there.... Written to HELP a Probie....

AL