PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" carving bit??

murph
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I just loaded a project and the machine is asking me to load a 1/8" carving bit, a 1/8" cutting bit and a 1/16" carving bit. I don't have a 1/8" "carving" bit and don't see one in the carvewright store. Is this a software error? I am running the new version of the software.

mark1945
07-03-2009, 09:30 PM
My machine did the same thing yesterday.I just loaded the 1/8 in cutting bit both times and it worked fine.Never noticed it before was carving the round jewelry box . Had made 2 others with same mpc and didnt have it happen.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Are you sure it is asking for Carving not Cutting... Sometimes if you have a Drill Hole and a Cut Path it asks for the 1/8 inch CUTTING bit TWICE then asks for the 1/16 carving bit.

If it does it again snap a picture of the LCD and post it....

So Twice for the Cutting bit is NORMAL.... If you have a Drill Hole and Cut Path.

There is no 1/8 inch Carving Bit.

Let us know....

AL

jpitz31
07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I have seen the same message. I had to do a double take.

Took the .mpc file rechecked the bits and re-uploaded. It still asked for the 1/8" carving bit. I loaded the 1/8" cutting bit and it cut just fine.

I wondered about this as well.

I have a new B (serial number) machine.

Joe

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a Software Bug....?

Are you both using 1.134?

AL

jpitz31
07-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Yes,

I have not upgraded. I want to see others run into with the latest.

Joe

liquidguitars
07-04-2009, 12:23 AM
a 1/8" carving bit, a 1/8" cutting bit

it could be one requests is for "vector paths" and one for drilling or carving if you look close at the prompt you will see. unless it a bug in the firmware :mrgreen: ..

1.50 seems to only asks once now for the same bit..

There is no 1/8 inch Carving Bit.

Well yes you can ues a 1/8" carving bit and LHR did stock them.. This request will happen if you change the 1/16" bit to the 1/8" under the pattern bit selection in the preferences menu. At one time you could use the 1/4 until LHR removed it from the software last year, then it would ask you fro the 1/4 carving bit :)

LG

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 05:10 AM
Without seeing what's in your MPC's i.e. Rasters/Vectors, it's impossible to know what bit(s) it "should be" asking for.

However, if it's asking for a 1/8" "Carving" bit, did you inadvertently change the default "pattern bit" here in the "Board Settings" dialog box?..(picture)

If not and it's set to the 1/16" ball-nose bit then I can only think of two things. I use 1.134 and have never seen it ask for a 1/8" "Carving" bit but...

1) Either you have a vector with the 1/8" "Cutting" bit applied and you're misreading the prompt...OR
2) For whatever strange reason, it really wants the 1/16" "Carving" bit but is displaying 1/8" instead of 1/16"...???

As I said, I've never seen this myself but stranger things have happened to some, and not others in the past....LOL

AskBud
07-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Let's think about this for a second.
We know, that the machine asks for the bits in "reverse" order of the proposed usage. It will also ask for the same bit again, if it is not measured/recognized the first time (rather than continue).

Since this 1/8 "Carving" Bit was the first to be measured, there is a possibility we may be missing. I think we know that no such bit is on our list (but a look at the actual MPC would help us, all, know for sure). The one thing we may be overlooking, is the question the the CW/CC asks (over & above the project design) as to whether we wish to "Cut the Board to Size". This is nested within the CW/CC it's self, not in the Design. It may be possible, that the "Code" given the machine CPU has an incorrect word within that query. This would account for the rare occasion for anyone to see the same thing being questioned. The "Load Command" would, only, appear if we would say YES to "Cut the Board to Size".

I may be wrong, but I think along with taking a look at the MPC in question, we should investigate/know if "Cut Board to Size" has any part in this problem.
AskBud

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Well Bud,

If the cut to size question is asked and answered yes, it would ask for the 1/8" "Cutting" bit, not "Carving" bit. I may have misunderstood but the question was, Why is it asking for an 1/8" (Carving) bit?

AskBud
07-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Well Bud,

If the cut to size question is asked and answered yes, it would ask for the 1/8" "Cutting" bit, not "Carving" bit. I may have misunderstood but the question was, Why is it asking for an 1/8" (Carving) bit?

I understand this is what is expected. However, I never use the "Cut Board to Size" so I can not be sure what appears, nor do I know exactly what version of Designer was used by the original poster. At this point I must presume that the word, that was seen, was read and typed correctly.

We need the MPC and Version to make a true analysis which would include running the project through the CW/CC loading phase with that version of the software.
AskBud

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Bud,

I have used the cut to size option and it indeed asks for the 1/8 "Cutting" bit. I use 1.134 as does Joe by his comment and he says he's seen this 1/8" "Carving bit" request as well.

As I stated in my first post, I thought seeing the MPC would help as well but in retrospect, unless they changed the default 1/16" pattern carving bit (also in my first post), there should be NO instance where it would ask for an 1/8" "Carving" bit.

jpitz31
07-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I went back and checked by MPC file. The pattern bit is set to 1/16" ballnose. I normally do not change this setting.

When I ran the part I answered "no" to cut board to size.

Joe

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I went back and checked by MPC file. The pattern bit is set to 1/16" ballnose. I normally do not change this setting.

When I ran the part I answered "no" to cut board to size.

Joe

This is indeed odd Joe. I have a scan running right now but I'm going to see if I can reproduce this situation. I've done about 10 or 12 projects now in 1.134 using a variety of bits in each one. I have yet to see it ask for an 1/8" carving bit.

Can you post the MPC you're using as is? After having posted back and fourth with you, I'm 100% sure it's not the "way" you set it up but just for giggles, I'd just like to test it on my machine to see if it asks for this bit.

jpitz31
07-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Here is the MPC Chris. Just to let you know. This is not the original.

I was having the below problem and was trying to find out what was causing it.

I was having trouble getting the CW to cut this design.

I had two 3/4" pieces of MDF screwed together. I set up the MPC to cut the .154 carve region on the front surface. Then cut a 1/8" circle at a depth of .75 with the 1/8" cutting bit. (not a cut path)

Then the intention was to flip the board and cut a circle to remove the other .75 circle.

The CW would only cut the circle to .25 and stop. It would not cut the carve region. And would not cut the circle to full depth.

I have not attempted to retry this yet.

Joe

murph
07-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks everone for the fast replies. I have attached the mpc file and will try to take a photo of the lcd with it asking for the 1/8" carving bit.

AskBud
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Murph,
Tell them what version of Designer are you using?
AskBud

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Here is the MPC Chris. Just to let you know. This is not the original.

I was having the below problem and was trying to find out what was causing it.

I was having trouble getting the CW to cut this design.

I had two 3/4" pieces of MDF screwed together. I set up the MPC to cut the .154 carve region on the front surface. Then cut a 1/8" circle at a depth of .75 with the 1/8" cutting bit. (not a cut path)

Then the intention was to flip the board and cut a circle to remove the other .75 circle.

The CW would only cut the circle to .25 and stop. It would not cut the carve region. And would not cut the circle to full depth.

I have not attempted to retry this yet.

Joe

If the MPC isn't the exact same as the one you used when it asked for an 1/8" "carving" bit then the test "might" be moot. I'll still have a look at it though.

For future reference, whenever I have an "unexpected" situation with a carve. I make a copy of the file before changing it in an effort to diagnose the problem. That way I can always look back to the original to see which change (because sometimes I may have to try many) made the difference.

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Joe,

My scan is still running but I've looked at your file. In reference to the CW only cutting .25 deep on the 1/8" bit "manual" cut path. You have the board thickness set at .500". If you have two 3/4" put together, your board thickness should be set to 1.5".

Also, in this file, you have the depth of the 1/8" bit set to .500" not .75"

I have no idea (yet) as to why it wouldn't do the carve region but I'll assume up front it's related to the CW asking for an 1/8" carving bit.

Still investigating......

murph
07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I ran the mpc again and it is asking for a 1/8" carving bit, not cutting bit. I am running ver 1.150, I just downloaded it prior to attempting this carve. I could not get a photo of the lcd that was clear enough. This may be a misspell in the new version, since I never had the machine ask for a 1/8" carving bit in the 2 years i've had it.

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I ran the mpc again and it is asking for a 1/8" carving bit, not cutting bit. I am running ver 1.150, I just downloaded it prior to attempting this carve. I could not get a photo of the lcd that was clear enough. This may be a misspell in the new version, since I never had the machine ask for a 1/8" carving bit in the 2 years i've had it.

Well, if you had this message in 1.134 (I'm assuming this), then it would be a misspell in both...no?

Guys, This is the problem with switching gears while trying to diagnose. If you change the parameters of the situation "before" finding the cause/reason, it just compounds the difficulties in the diagnostic process.

EDIT: Sorry murph, I can't open your MPC as it's saved in 1.150 and I'm still using 1.134. Not ready to upgrade (yet)

jpitz31
07-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes, Chris, I did change the board thickness. Point taken on saving the original mpc before making changes. Good idea.

Joe

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, Chris, I did change the board thickness. Point taken on saving the original mpc before making changes. Good idea.

Joe

And the 1/8" bit depth at .500" not .750"...?

Since I don't have the original file with the original settings used when you got this message, I'm simply flying blind here.

By "this" file, the combination of the board thickness set at .5 and the bit depth set at .5, would be the likely cause of the cut being only .25 deep on a 1.5 thick board.

liquidguitars
07-04-2009, 01:39 PM
1/8" carving bit is called the "1/8" ball nose" if the makes more sense :)

LG

ChrisAlb
07-04-2009, 01:45 PM
1/8" carving bit is called the "1/8" ball nose" if the makes more sense :)

LG

Yep, they're all called ball nose in the software (and carving bits at the CW). Would be nice to have a standard....LOL